*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 to mk7 conversion?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk5 to mk7 conversion?

Postby tommytucker123 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:23 am

So ive bought my self a transit. When i bought it the seller said that the van( ford transit 08mk7) had a mk6 engine conversion for more reliability. Once the van had been brought to me. I realised that the van was abit of a frankenstien if you will. The speedo clocks and steering wheel and radio are all mk5, the engine is suposey a mk6 and the van its self (shape body work/ general apearance) is mk7. I tryed to write these strange bits by buying an mk7 wheel clocks and radio. I have had a go at changing them my self and found that non of the connecters from the wiring fit and of the parts ive purchased. All compley different plugin connecters and stuff. Is this an easy fix or have i bought this van like a wally. Im not a mechanic or electrician and have no previous experiance in transit messing. So any advice on what to do and were to even begin would be massively apreciated. Thanks , tom
tommytucker123

Re: Mk5 to mk7 conversion?

Postby loot » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:16 pm

Have you got any pics of the van, speedo etc and engine?

I'll guess that it's mk6 analogue speedo matched with the mk6 engine.

You're in a world of hurt if the looms have been modified/swapped.

To get it back to mk7 you'll need to swap the whole lot back over I think, ppl have had success in modifying them like this but it isn't that easy tbh.
New mot rules might also cause issues.

I can't believe the amount of effort ppl will go to to get rid of the mk7 engine and components/electronics in favour of old technology :lol:

If we can accept windows 10 then damn it we should accept the mk7 :?

Any pics? :P
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions