*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Camshaft differences Mk5 Di

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Camshaft differences Mk5 Di

Postby allegroequipe » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:20 am

Hello everyone, I'm just about to do an engine swap in my 2.5Di bus. My spare camshaft is from a TDI, just wondering if they have a different profile?
I'm using a TDI donor block, not sure if there are any other differences?
Cheers
Darren
allegroequipe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Camshaft differences Mk5 Di

Postby dumper » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:22 am

Their is a post on hear somewhere saying that the profile is different and also pistons are different
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby allegroequipe » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:03 am

Ah, thanks for that, should have searched first. So, I think with all the bits I have, I can put a di head on a TDI block, but compression will be lower. It"ll still run but will be like a TDI with a failed turbo. Probably slower than the normal di banana engine.
allegroequipe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:48 pm

TDI cam has different timing/overlap to work with the turbo, usually less inlet timing and more overlap to allow the through flow to purge the cylinder, then the boost to 'pack' fresh air in.

TDI heads have a slight chamber machined inside the squish area to reduce dynamic compression once on boost - pretty much once it's fired up.

Blocks are the same, pistons are different chamber shape/volume, Ex valves are Sodium filled on TDI.

If running the EPIC system, you'd be better sticking with the TDI cam even if you build everything else as per DI, as it will give the airflow characteristics the EPIC is looking for.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby allegroequipe » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks Jim, that makes sense, I run a Lotus 7 replica as my other car so have an understanding of timing durations etc
Its on the Bosch pump setup. The block is burning oil (head is fine) so I just wanted to swap to a newer block to get a few more years out of her!
Sounds like I can use the block, but swap the turbo can out for my di can and run as normal but with a little lower compression.

Unless someone wants a nice TDI block (honing marks still visible in the bores!) and has a spare di one to swap :-)
allegroequipe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions