*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

EGR fault?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Postby stevew » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:23 pm

I've blocked off the EGR at the exhaust manifold and seen no change at all to speak of. Although the EPIC system can't tell whether any gases are coming through the egr it will still try to do so and it does this by throttling the air intake. Not good. I haven't got aroud to doing anything about this yet and have driven at least 5000 miles with it just blocked off but I think that removing the throttle butterfly from the intake would be the way to go.
What do you think?

Steve
Van Cam, service suspended (no van!) (no cam either!)
stevew
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gemini » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:25 pm

just put a ball bearing in the pipe to stop the suction
Transit Mk5 Guilt Edged Glamorous & Sleek By Design
gemini
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby stevew » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:35 pm

The throttle actuator on the EPIC turbo system has a three wire system such tht the ECU knows if the throttle is moving or not. If it stops moving then it indicates an EGR fault. You have to allow it to move whist stopping it actually move anything.
Alternatively just switch to the Bosch non-electronic system and all your worries are over! :lol:

Steve
Van Cam, service suspended (no van!) (no cam either!)
stevew
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Skippy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:42 pm

gemini wrote:just put a ball bearing in the pipe to stop the suction

I did try this earlier but it did not want to run & belted out smoke.
Skippy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Skippy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:53 pm

stevew wrote:The throttle actuator on the EPIC turbo system has a three wire system such tht the ECU knows if the throttle is moving or not. If it stops moving then it indicates an EGR fault. You have to allow it to move whist stopping it actually move anything.
Alternatively just switch to the Bosch non-electronic system and all your worries are over! :lol:

Steve

I just tried the blanking plate at the exhaust side of egr pipe but it really hasn't made any difference. I removed the fuel tank - not for egr reasons & cleaned it out to see if it were contaminated, but it was clean. I will be replacing the water temp & air temp sensors as mentioned earlier in thread, so we'll see what happens after that. I like the idea of removing the butterfly valve on throttle, that may be of interest! Finding & converting to a bosch unit over here? I'd have more chance of playing pick-up-sticks with my arse cheeks i think :o Thanks guys
Skippy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndyG » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:48 pm

Skippy wrote:I just tried the blanking plate at the exhaust side of egr pipe but it really hasn't made any difference.
Andyg wrote:
hentpe wrote:If tester gives you EGR fault codes don´t panic. Just replace intake side EGR-valves metal gasket with self made one that has no middle hole. You dont have to worry about those codes because they just cause that engine light will be on little longer after starting.

This will, most certainly cut any smoke caused by the EGR valve :wink:

And nothing else :!:

It won't upset the EPIC system this way :!: Because doing it this way allows the system to think it's working the EGR circuit as the manufacturer intended :wink:

IF the EGR circuit was causing any smoke, it would have stopped when you put the blanking plate at the exhaust end :D
Obviously the smoke you talk about hasn't stopped :( so this means the fault is elsewhere :(

This will have NOTHING to do with your idling speed :!: This is a separate matter :)

What were the exact fault code numbers extracted from the ECU :?:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby AndyG » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:53 pm

With 220,000km on the clock, your pedal might need to be electroncally cleaned :idea:
I'd hate to think how much a new one costs over there :shock: £150 in UK so I'll guess $400 :shock:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Skippy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:14 pm

Andyg wrote:
Skippy wrote:I just tried the blanking plate at the exhaust side of egr pipe but it really hasn't made any difference.
Andyg wrote:
hentpe wrote:If tester gives you EGR fault codes don´t panic. Just replace intake side EGR-valves metal gasket with self made one that has no middle hole. You dont have to worry about those codes because they just cause that engine light will be on little longer after starting.

This will, most certainly cut any smoke caused by the EGR valve :wink:

And nothing else :!:

It won't upset the EPIC system this way :!: Because doing it this way allows the system to think it's working the EGR circuit as the manufacturer intended :wink:

IF the EGR circuit was causing any smoke, it would have stopped when you put the blanking plate at the exhaust end :D
Obviously the smoke you talk about hasn't stopped :( so this means the fault is elsewhere :(

This will have NOTHING to do with your idling speed :!: This is a separate matter :)

What were the exact fault code numbers extracted from the ECU :?:

Hi Andyg, the smoke has cleared today, although initially it didn't for the first day. Good onya! There is no exact fault code number on ford invoice just egr, & injector pump fault. I'm going to replace the two sensors as mentioned earlier. If that does not cure it i,ll look at the pedal too. the list is endless! If it still runs like a bag of shite................... i will still love her!! :P
Skippy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions