*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rear heating issues

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Rear heating issues

Postby Don Taxista » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:58 am

Hello everybody,

I've got an 2005 Mk6 2.0 TDCI Transit Minibus [Tourneo], with rear heater issues.
The valve control in the back is not responding to the turning knob, the one on the ceiling controlling warm/low flow and high/cold flow.
Now there's it the situation of the AC-system not being filled up with coolant, but I don't see how this could effect the valve controlling warm and cold air flow.
- Blower motor in the rear works fine
- Flow speed control [second turning knob on the ceiling] works fine.
- Valve works fine, when I override the valve control manually.

Anyone here who can shed some light on this situation? I've got pic's but I haven't got a clue how to upload these... :?

Greetings,

Don Taxista
Don Taxista

Re: Rear heating issues

Postby jay » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:33 pm

proberbly find the gears are stipped in the rear heater valve(its the same valve as fiestas)
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Don Taxista » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Hello Jay,

Thnx for answering.

With st(r)ipped, you mean broken, or just worn down?
Don Taxista

Postby Don Taxista » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:48 pm

An overview:

No moment in the white gearbox/servo at all

Some pink residu around the coolant pipes
Don Taxista

Postby jay » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:50 pm

Don Taxista wrote:
No moment in the white gearbox/servo at all
This is the control bit which directs air to the roof or side vents in the back.

Some pink residu around the coolant pipes

This is the heater valve which has proberbly gone wrong cheap to replace these as well.
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Timbo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:24 pm

The circuit at the back of the rear heater unit (with the green plug) is the one that controls the water valve for the heating.
It is pulsed every few seconds and vaies the on and off times to regulate the water flow and therefore air temperature. They give trouble and the valve is the same as a Fiesta part. Hopefully the valve won't have killed he circuit board. When you have fitted the new valve set the temp control in the roof to half way in the red section and turn the ignition on. If all is well then you should hear the valve clicking.

The unit with the white plug (disconnected in photo) controls the air flow btween roof and side vents - heat to side and cooling to roof. This can also give trouble as they tend to strip the teeth on the drive gears inside.

When I changed the water valve on my Tourneo I had trouble getting the air out and getting the water to circulate. In the end I took a pipe off under the bonnet at the highest point and filled the pipes from there.
Timbo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Don Taxista » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:04 pm

@ Timbo: You are spot on with the grinded gear. I opened the unit, and found that the narrower part of the small gearwheel has been stripped clean, as shwon on the picture below.

I noticed the little electric motor kept on running, which prably grinded up the gear. App. it did not know when to stop....Faulty chip, something missing, I don't know.

If you look at all the parts inside the control unit, It's like a Nikko R/C car...
I went to the local ford dealear and asked for the price of a new uni and was blown away.....150 euros, 125 after discount. :shock:
Don Taxista

Postby apples26 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Interesting my mk6 tourneo roof blowers only blow stone cold so I presume it needs a heater valve?

Is the air con linked to them? Planning to regas mine soon
http://WWW.NEEDATOW.CO.UK
-------------------------
apples26
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bigfunnyfarm » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:50 pm

hi
I have this same rear heater in my minibus and had to remove it when I had some welding done, I've now replaced the heater flow valve and want to fit back in but need to know which of the 2 heater hoses are the flow and which is the return? any ideas how to find out ? is it a case of seeing which one leaks the most water when the engine is running?
thanks in advance for any help

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
bigfunnyfarm

Return to Technical Problems & Questions