*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cobra 3868 alarm fitting question ?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Cobra 3868 alarm fitting question ?

Postby HARRYSPADGE » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi,

I have purchased a Cobra 3868 alarm to fit to my '09 MK7 Transit and need to know the answer to one question.
I have been sent these fitting instructions by the supplier,

http://www.cobra-at.com/cobra/Allegati/FOTRA07GB.pdf

I have worked out where all the wires need to go except for one, and I'm not sure if it even gets connected.
The first page of the instructions tells you where to connect to for the main power, earth, etc.
The section for the REAR/SLIDING DOOR tells you to connect to the BLACK/YELLOW wire in the white 57 way connector (vehicle harness), what I need to know is which wire from the alarm unit is connected to this ?
The FRONT DOOR SWITCH is connected to the YELLOW/GREY wire in the same connector and I need to connect this to the BLUE/PINK wire from the alarm.
I was wondering whether I need to piggy back the BLUE/PINK wire to the wire for the REAR/SLIDING DOOR ?
I spoke to the supplier and he seemed to think this was the right thing to do but I'm not so sure and being that these vehicles are CAN based I don't want to connect it incorrectly and firk it up.
I'm a VW Master Tech so know my way around wiring diagrams, etc but would just like some input from anyone who has fitted this alarm themselves.
Any help would be appreciated, hoping to fit tomorrow (weather permitting).......
HARRYSPADGE
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Cobra 3868 alarm fitting question ?

Postby HARRYSPADGE » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:18 pm

Anyone ?
HARRYSPADGE
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AndyG » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:18 am

I've just tried to look through this, but remember it's late :!:

You are right to be concerned, as the front (cab) and rear (cargo area) of the locking system are (or usually are) separate :!:
The section for the REAR/SLIDING DOOR tells you to connect to the BLACK/YELLOW wire in the white 57 way connector (vehicle harness), what I need to know is which wire from the alarm unit is connected to this ?

The so called diagram they've sent you, seems to be incomplete :?

How have you worked out what all the wires from the alarm are for :?:

The diagram talks about a 57 way connector, but only shows 40 and 32 way connectors :!: :roll:

:idea: Tell them to send you a complete diagram :twisted:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby HARRYSPADGE » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Does anyone have, or know where I can get a wiring diagram for my Transit.
I think it's probably going to be better if I check this out for myself !

Thanks.
HARRYSPADGE
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby HARRYSPADGE » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:48 pm

For future reference, and if anyone else comes across this problem, I thought I would let you know that I have now sorted this problem.
With a little assistance from Cobra technical and some investigation on my part I have now figured out all the wires needed to connect to for proper installation.
The link to the wiring diagram in my first post is a complete waste of time.
If anyone needs to know the correct information for fitting or has any other questions regarding fitting of this alarm please pm me and I will be happy to help.
HARRYSPADGE
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby liam78000 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:37 am

Hi, i'm just about to fit a cobra 3868 to my mk7 :?: and would appreciate any help, in particularly locating the correct circuits on the van.
thanks.....
57 SWB T280
liam78000

Postby HARRYSPADGE » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:41 pm

liam78000 wrote:Hi, i'm just about to fit a cobra 3868 to my mk7 :?: and would appreciate any help, in particularly locating the correct circuits on the van.
thanks.....

Hi mate, if you send me a private message with a contact number I'd be happy to help you out.
HARRYSPADGE
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby fastautokeys » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi ,
been fitting one of these alarms today to my mk7 , really not impressed with the the lack of fitting instructions & the fact the most of what they do give you is wrong .
when you say all the wires need connecting ,is that ALL ?

theres around 8 wires that are not mentioned in the instructions at all ,do they need conecting to something ?
also where do i conect the wire that iv put in for the bonnet switch ? ,no mention of that in instructions :(
and am i right in thinking that the 3 very short wires in the loom go to the siren ?

help please been pulling my hair out today :(
many thanks
fastautokeys

Postby sparks1959 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi Harry, I am trying also to fit an aftermarket upgrade alarm to a 2006 Transit. I have come across many problems an am probably going to get a cobra 3868 if this can successfully be fitted. Have you got wiring diagrams I could see?
I have worked out which multi plug at body control module has door catch wires to rear side and front doors but they seem to go to earth when door is closed and open circuit when door is opened. I know I will have to fit Isolating diodes no problem ,but surely I need to have circuit going negative when door opens.
The alarm I am trying to fit connects to central locking motor wires to sense when to arm or disarm. Does the cobra alarm do this or is it connected to indicators and programmed? Thanks for any info if you could PM me.
Sparks1959 :)
sparks1959

Postby Mike » Fri May 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Cobra make a bespoke alarm for the MK7, get that and save yourself the hassle of the 'cheaper' 3868.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Barronoj » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:49 am

Hi

I’ve had a pandora alarm fitted to my transit mk7 2012 and wonder if harry you can help as I need to know what pin from bcm controls the deadlock aka double press on ford remote as the installer couldn’t locate the correct wire to activate the deadlock with the pandora system can you help?

Thanks
Barronoj

Return to Technical Problems & Questions