*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2005 VH (Ex Postie Van) ASM 4th gear slipping/Crunching

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: 2005 VH (Ex Postie Van) ASM 4th gear slipping/Crunching

Postby ossie cossie » Tue May 19, 2015 10:17 am

Got a few more issues with my asm gearbox. It seems to work better if i change gears manually, with the steering wheel buttons however i can only go up gears on 1 button and down gears on the other buttons is this right? or should both buttons change both up and down? also was driving the other day and coming up to traffic lights as i turned the corner i had nothing on the throttle pedal. lastly i can get a spare ASM box local for $300 so i may just get it as a spare, as i like the idea of auto.
ossie cossie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby samwhich » Tue May 19, 2015 2:52 pm

My buttons on the steering wheel play up occasionally too. Not too bad though. Still useable. Just have to push the button a couple of times to get it to work when it does play up. I think they are pretty simple switches for them. Not a lot can go wrong with the actual switch part.

What's happening when you drive in Auto mode vs Manual mode?
2005 VH Ford Transit 2.4 TDi
Durashit Transmission
samwhich
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ossie cossie » Wed May 20, 2015 2:31 pm

Just bought the spare ASM box and solenoids and other stuff just incase, i can also use them to test it all up $300 150quid. :D These box,s are very small i could pick it up and carry it on my own.
ossie cossie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ossie cossie » Wed May 20, 2015 3:16 pm

Picks of what i got.
ossie cossie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ossie cossie » Wed May 20, 2015 3:18 pm

ossie cossie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ossie cossie » Wed May 20, 2015 3:21 pm

From what i can see it looks like a manual gearbox but it is controlled via an ECU and hydraulic pack. It must have a clutch as well as it has a slave cylinder. With a bit of luck i can sort out what my problem is using the spare parts and a OBD port and error code reader.
ossie cossie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby SlikRikk » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:29 pm

I have a motorhome on a Ford Transit LWB chassis, the engine is a Mk6 2.4 Deisel, with ASM. When attempting to put the vehicle in gear, it can be moved about a foot or two before dropping into neutral. Fault codes coming up are

U1900 CAN Communications Bus Fault
P0560 System Voltage Malfunction

When the codes are cleared, the vehicle drives perfectly. I have had the motorhome into a Ford dealership and they are convinced that the problem is the ECU, however the mechanic is not 100% certain a new ECU will solve the problem.

I have a handheld MaxiScan MS309 Diagnostics tool, but it will not work on the van, as it cannot read file (code) SAE J1850 PWM, so I cannot clear the codes myself

This issue has already cost me my 2016 Summer Holiday and several £100. Before throwing any further hard earned at it, can anyone here give me any advice of what this problem might be..

Many thanks in advance
SlikRikk

Postby samwhich » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:48 am

Hey mate,

I had this issue occur when my alternator died. Upon finally dying, the alternator caused a short or spike in the electrical system (im guessing) which resulted in the error codes you have there. New alternator and clearing the codes resolved the issue for me and have not experienced the issue since. If your issue is reoccurring, I would firstly check for obvious electrical issues around your van. Check all your fuses etc. Maybe check your alternator is strong enough to charge your battery bank as well? as this could be putting stress on your alternator or causing it to fail/spike/short out.... I would doubt that it is your ECU but could be wrong... And don't forget that there are multiple switches around the van that affect the transmission. Particularly the drivers door and hood switches so double check they are functioning properly!

I dont have a motor home but do have an aux battery system which my alternator charges via an automatic switch. I guess you would probably have a similar system given yours is a motor home?

I have a cheap (AU$20) ebay ELM32 OBD2 Bluetooth Dongle and running the awesome ForScan (software) on a Windows 7/8 laptop. YOu can also get a limited version of that software for Android phones which enables you to clear codes but its a bit clunky.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions. I've spent a lot of time dicking around with these issues so might be able to shed some light for ya
2005 VH Ford Transit 2.4 TDi
Durashit Transmission
samwhich
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions