*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

3 litre essex carb plumbing help

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

3 litre essex carb plumbing help

Postby jonathan050975 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:19 pm

I have a mark 3 transit ambulance with a 3 litre essex.

Having dreadful difficulty getting it to run right and idle properly. Carb appears OK but having difficulty understanding what the additional plates do underneath the carb (some kind of reg?) and also is the fuel bowl between the mechanical pump and the carb actually necessary? If so why? I was wondering if I canm just connect the machanical pump directly to the carb (ie as on old carb cars) and thgen send the overflow down to the fuel return if necessary although I doubt that wpuild be necessary.

I seem to have a vacuum leak somewhere and cannot figure out where, I also own a scimitar GTE with a 3 litre essex with a twin choke webber - there are no silly things between the pump and carb on that and it runs sweet!

Advice please!!!!

Jonathan
jonathan050975
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby stevo » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:19 pm

Welcome mate, get some pics of your van up.
Formely ibanez2005

Your's is the new Ford Transit!

2003 100 T260 TDDi swb
stevo
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jonathan050975 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:51 pm

How do I upload photo's?

Anyone with any knowledge of how to sort this carb would be much appreciated, ambulance is going to be used as a bit of a laugh to be honest - prospect for practical jokes is endless, its a 7 seater with loads of room in the back for fitting additional stuff for different uses.

I will eventually swap the essex engine for my scimitar essex engine as that is higher compression - I want to twin turbo the scimitar so the low compression ambulance engine will be ideal
jonathan050975
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby madmark » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:10 pm

hi john,
the plates under the carb are all to do with a hoof govener :shock: it restrictcs the flow of fuel this is how fords got them to 100ps and with the lc heads! :wink:
yes you can block off the return and do away with the filter type thing,the carb yu have is bad for a v6 ,if you bolt on a webber the same as your gte you would be shocked at the difrence!
but for now you can take all that off the transit engine,if you have accsess to a webber carb and manifold i would go that route! :wink:
anymore prblems let me know i am good with the essex also run one myself! :wink:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jonathan050975 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:08 pm

many thanks for info, I figured is must be something like that. I propose plumbing fuel pump output directly to carburetor. presumably all other pipes can be simply disconnected and any resultant manifold leaks plugged up? Leave overflow in place into the wing and just monitor the situation?

I take your point about transferring the 38 DGAS across and eventually I will put my whole scimitar engine across (138 bhp standard but more with K&N and ambulance manifolds - should be looking at around 145-150 bhp)

I just want to get the ambulance running OK with the single choke carb for now so I can actually get out and drive it easily. My company car park has Mercedes, Lexus, Audi and it appeals to my sense of humour to pit my 20 year old ambulance next to them!!

Jonathan
jonathan050975
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby madmark » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:40 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yes this will go down a treat! when i used to own a mk2 amby people used to look and say what do you want that for ,oooooh how many people have died in it! :lol: :lol:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

further carb developments

Postby jonathan050975 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:17 pm

I have now run fuel pump directly to carb float chamber, disconnected and blocked fuel return, clamped up the pipe going from top of carb to the regulator but still it is not running right, checked all breathers for vacuum leaks, plugged any up that were suspect, any suggestions?

The plate immediattely below the carb - what does that actually do? It appears to allow air to be drawn from top of carb and into the inlet below the throttle flap - what is its purpose? (This is typical me - blame the only bit I dont understand!!!)

Any advice appreciated - getting a bit frustrated - want to drive my trannie!! (which is nicknamed Jack BTW as one slightly daft girl commented 'why is it called Jack?' pointing at the labels for the jacking points!!!!!)

If I dont get anywhere with it soon I may have to remove carb and inlet from my scimitar to get it running but I loath to do that as the scimitar is my pride and joy that I have spent years restoring :cry:
Jonathan
jonathan050975
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby FredTransit » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:46 am

jonathan050975 wrote:How do I upload photo's?

Instructions on how to post pics are stickied at the top of each gallery. You will need a photobucket account to host them from.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby madmark » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:59 am

:? john silly question have you checked everything else?????
timeing ,valve clearances ,can you check its got good valves maybe its got a problem somewere else than the carb side!
:?
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jonathan050975 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:37 am

timing is spot on, dizzy is in good nick, new rotor, cap and leads, plugs OK.

Compression is even. Engine is actually very very good, one of the smoothest sounding essex's I have heard, valve gear is almost silent.

A little choke and it will run OK but throttle response is awful, revs die down very slowly when releasing the throttle, you would wear there is an inlet leak but again checked and remade new gaskets where required - base of carb etc.

I am certain it is fuel as opposed to ignition/compression etc.

Engine doesnt blow any smoke.

Efforts will continue this evening.

Jonathan
jonathan050975
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby madmark » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:53 pm

:? john she does sound like a falty carb /fuel somewere :?
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jonathan050975 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:07 pm

Rest assured me and my team of mental mechanics will get to the bottom of it somehow. We struggled home in it as it was (ie full choke for idling) - 16 mpg :cry: !

When home I stripped carb to clean it out but it certainly wasnt dirty - i have certainly seen worse, it made no appreciable difference anyway, since then we have resealed base of carb to regulator and inserted new gaskets where required and stripped carb agin - it was dirty this time though (strange!) we tried again, no joy, we blamed the regulator/fuel bowl thingy and so bypassed it and again reseated carb last night and fitted an in line fuel filter - slightly better but still not good enough for me to start showing it off! We have also clamped up the pipe going to the governor - no difference at all. Maybe I need to strip carb again and ensure it is clean as more dirt may have come from fuel bowl/reg.

I am in the process of fitting throttle bodies to the rattly old essex in my scimitar so maybe the scimitar carb will be spare soon but i want my ambulance on the road NOW!

I appreciate your advice Mark, I will keep you informed, if any further thoughts occur to you please let me know, also if you understand how that bl**dy regulator works I would be keen to gain an understanding of it.

Jonathan
jonathan050975
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby madmark » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:23 pm

:? the governer thing is desighned to work i think when it gets too 4500 revs then it shutts the flap inside ,you can take the flap out if you want too, :? something very strange going on here :? :? maybe the carb is shot ! :?
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jonathan050975 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:01 pm

Haha!! - FIXED!!!

Cleaned carb again, must have drawn more sh*t through from the fuel bowl (now removed).

Flap from governor is removed

All seems OK now! Nice smooth idle - impressed!

Thanks for words of advice and encouragement!

I will be commuting 120 miles a day now in a 20 year old £100 ambulance!!! (makes a change to a 38 year old scimitar I suppose!)

All good fun, beginning to quite like it actually, obviously sssooooo slow compared to the scimitar but then it weighs twice as much, has a tiny carb and lower compression so i will forgive it that until I can get a Chevy engine for it.......

Woohoo! as you can tell I am quite pleased! :lol:

Jonathan
jonathan050975
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby madmark » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
well done mate ,
you wont get much good fuel consumption out of that carb ,you need to change to the twinchoke set up this will give you a few more mpg! :wink: :wink:
if you are dooing lots of miles dont forget to check you gearbox oil and diff, (ep80/90 :wink: and nice 20/50 for the engine nrearly 2 gallons! :shock: :wink:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions