*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fitting Tracker - Need wire for interior light trigger?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Fitting Tracker - Need wire for interior light trigger?

Postby MarkShez » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi
I have bought a Tracker Alarm for my Transit, which I've recently converted to a motorhome.
I not only want to detect when the van starts, but when the front and sliding doors are opened. (The back door is padlocked from inside)
I've fitted the tracker behind the stereo and connected to permanent live, ground and ACC (for engine start).
All the above was fairly easy, and works brilliantly, but the next stage is to tap into the wire for the door switches.
The alarm can tap into either negative or positive systems (I'm not sure how the transit works)

I need to know where is the best place to tap into the circuit, which colour wire to tap into, and how to access that wire?
Can someone help me please?

I had the bright idea of tapping into the interior light, and found a black/yellow wire, which gave 12v when a door was opened, but not sure how I can access this wire without stripping lots of things down!

Thanks in advance for your response

Ford Transit High Top LWB 2002 2.4 - 90 T350
MarkShez

Re: Fitting Tracker - Need wire for interior light trigger?

Postby ake » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:58 pm

MarkShez wrote:Hi
I have bought a Tracker Alarm for my Transit, which I've recently converted to a motorhome.
I not only want to detect when the van starts, but when the front and sliding doors are opened. (The back door is padlocked from inside)
I've fitted the tracker behind the stereo and connected to permanent live, ground and ACC (for engine start).
All the above was fairly easy, and works brilliantly, but the next stage is to tap into the wire for the door switches.
The alarm can tap into either negative or positive systems (I'm not sure how the transit works)

I need to know where is the best place to tap into the circuit, which colour wire to tap into, and how to access that wire?
Can someone help me please?

I had the bright idea of tapping into the interior light, and found a black/yellow wire, which gave 12v when a door was opened, but not sure how I can access this wire without stripping lots of things down!

Thanks in advance for your response

Ford Transit High Top LWB 2002 2.4 - 90 T350

The wire for the interior light runs up one of the windscreen pillars, find it in the loom and join it in, pretty sure it's the drivers side.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Altransit » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Isn't the interior light permanently live, and is switched on via earth at the door switches :?: :?

The trigger wire from the door ajar switch would be better, and again that's a negative switch I think :|
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby t2myd » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:12 pm

Don't put it the usual places ie= behind Glove box, Behind dash , or A pillars , my mate had a new transit it went missing , when van got found it had dash ripped apart
Transit vantastic !!!!!!
t2myd
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ake » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:27 pm

Altransit wrote:Isn't the interior light permanently live, and is switched on via earth at the door switches :?: :?

The trigger wire from the door ajar switch would be better, and again that's a negative switch I think :|

He needs to intercept the switched negative from the central locking unit to the light, which I think he is correct in saying as black/yellow.
The door switches are part of the latch on these and communicate with the central locking module, you can't just connect to them!
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Altransit » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:29 pm

ake wrote:
Altransit wrote:Isn't the interior light permanently live, and is switched on via earth at the door switches :?: :?

He needs to intercept the switched negative from the central locking unit to the light, which I think he is correct in saying as black/yellow.
The door switches are part of the latch on these and communicate with the central locking module, you can't just connect to them!

:shock: I knew all that, I was just checking that you did :mrgreen: :oops: :P :lol: :lol: 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby ake » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:29 pm

Altransit wrote:
ake wrote:

:shock: I knew all that, I was just checking that you did :mrgreen: :oops: :P :lol: :lol: 8)

:D :wink:
ake
Site Moderator

Postby MarkShez » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks for your helpful feedback.
So, it's the black/yellow wire running down the drivers side A panel?
Will I be able to access this wire closer to where I've fitted the alarm maybe? (behind the stereo)

Thanks in advance
MarkShez

Postby ake » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:11 pm

I would connect it in the pillar, more room to move, and less wires around it!
ake
Site Moderator

Postby clifford76 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:46 pm

I was watching sort of alarms like that but thought it´s difficult to install, am I right or is easy without help?
clifford76
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MarkShez » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:05 pm

clifford76 wrote:I was watching sort of alarms like that but thought it´s difficult to install, am I right or is easy without help?

Relatively easy to fit. It all depends how far you want to go with the wiring / disabling options.
All I'd like to do is track, alarm on engine start & alarm on door open
MarkShez

Postby clifford76 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:54 pm

ok these are basically the things I´d like to protect, by the way how much cost an alarm like yours?
clifford76
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Guy88 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:41 pm

could just use the pin switch positions that is available on both front doors, fit switches and no need to worry about van wiring,

There may even be one in the drivers side for the headlight buzzer
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby MarkShez » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:45 am

clifford76 wrote:ok these are basically the things I´d like to protect, by the way how much cost an alarm like yours?

GPS Car Tracker with GPRS and Vehicle Theft Protection System
http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B003XDN58K
MarkShez

Postby clifford76 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:03 pm

MarkShez wrote:
clifford76 wrote:ok these are basically the things I´d like to protect, by the way how much cost an alarm like yours?

GPS Car Tracker with GPRS and Vehicle Theft Protection System
http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B003XDN58K

it´s very cheap, I was watching ones much more expensive and similar. one question, I read that if the car moves from a stationary position it sends you a sms, in a normal day when you start your van several times what do you do to avoid those warnings?
clifford76
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions