*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit 2.4 tdci won't start

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Transit 2.4 tdci won't start

Postby ake » Sat May 31, 2014 8:38 pm

Have you had the rocker cover off and checked the valve gear? Timing may have juumped
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Broken transit » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:12 pm

Had the rocker cover off and checked the valves and it appears they are leaking. When I got the cylinder head skimmed I had it pressure tested too and they said it was fine would incorrectly timing it and turning it over (obviously without know the timing was wrong) damage the valves as I said before I have the head skimmed and pressure tested but now the valves are leaking ?
Broken transit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Did you just plonk the rocker shafts on or did you squeeze the lifters :?:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Broken transit » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:57 pm

I just put them on why do I need to squeeze the lifters ?
Broken transit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Broken transit wrote:I just put them on why do I need to squeeze the lifters ?
To get the valves to close fully .Remove the shafts and rockers and squeeze them in a vice a few times till you can press them with your finger and refit.
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Broken transit » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:23 pm

So as the valves are leaking do I need to get them checked and reseated will they be damaged or will they be ok if I do that with the rockers I've took the head off and done a leak test and there all leaking
Broken transit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:52 pm

You will need to grind in the valves first.
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Broken transit » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:59 am

Cheers
Broken transit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Broken transit » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:24 pm

Another question I have been told that when I previously damaged the head when the timing jumped before I realised and kept turning it over that there could be damage to the bottom end the con rods big and little ends because of all the attempts at turning the engine while the timing was out does anyone else think this
Broken transit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Broken transit » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:26 pm

And would this cause low compression?
Broken transit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby taz666 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:42 pm

Broken transit wrote:Had the rocker cover off and checked the valves and it appears they are leaking. When I got the cylinder head skimmed I had it pressure tested too and they said it was fine would incorrectly timing it and turning it over (obviously without know the timing was wrong) damage the valves as I said before I have the head skimmed and pressure tested but now the valves are leaking ?

why did you have a new head skimmed as they should not be skimmed anyway, as already posted the most common failures on the tdci engine is injectors leaking back too much fuel and pumps breaking up and ive never ever ever squashed the lifters in these engines
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby Broken transit » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:55 pm

It wasn't a new head it was a second hand one
Broken transit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:15 am

taz666 wrote:
Broken transit wrote:Had the rocker cover off and checked the valves and it appears they are leaking. When I got the cylinder head skimmed I had it pressure tested too and they said it was fine would incorrectly timing it and turning it over (obviously without know the timing was wrong) damage the valves as I said before I have the head skimmed and pressure tested but now the valves are leaking ?

why did you have a new head skimmed as they should not be skimmed anyway, as already posted the most common failures on the tdci engine is injectors leaking back too much fuel and pumps breaking up and ive never ever ever squashed the lifters in these engines
Bad pump and injectors wont cause the compression to drop to 160 but rusty valve seats and tight tappets could.I would sort out your compression issues FIRST .You should have at least 400 psi.I have never had a problem skiming a cyl head as long as there is not too much taken off.A good machine shop should know what to take off.
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby angeleye » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:49 pm

as taz says these heads shouldnt be skimmed,there is no leway or very very little tolerance for any machining....they are a flat head with no combustion chamber..so valvea and or seats would have to be ground to suit if valves are higher than the face of the head they will hit the pistons,being hydraulic lifters there is very little movement to accomodate any seat grinding,did you fit the right thickness head gasket as this could compound the problem,are you checking compression thru glowplug hole
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Broken transit » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:50 am

The original gasket was 2 thick and the one I got to replace it was 3 would this matter? And yeah I'm checking compression through glow plug hole
Broken transit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions