*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

cooking oil

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

cooking oil

Postby damian » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:49 pm

hi has anybody here run a mk6 transit 2.4 duratec on cooking oil ? I run my Vauxhall combo 1.7td on neat cooking oil all year round with no problems what so ever and have done for years . im getting over 50mpg on it .cheers
damian

Re: cooking oil

Postby TripleSix » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:47 pm

I wouldn't!

I've run veg in a lot of vehicles but wouldn't dare put it in a TDCI or even a TDDI, they're touchy enough on diesel!
2013 MWB AWD
TripleSix
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dieselhead123 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:43 am

This one runs well on it, and has done so for 12 months;

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=137262

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andypdq » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:03 am

Lots of people have run veg oil in VP30 pumps with success, though not many in Transits, but the pumps are similar, whatever vehicle they are fitted to. I was talking to Karl Mcghee at the recent Manchester meet, he has been running veg for over a year, in his 90 T350, so far, so good. Despite what the doom mongers say, it would seem that certain failure is not assured.

My mechanical conversion has been running happily on it for the last 12 months, the mechanical parts of the VP30 pump will easily cope with veg, it's just the electronic components which are suspect.
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby damian » Sun May 11, 2014 7:43 pm

well i didnt take anyones advice and put 10l of new cooking oil with £20.00 of diesel in my van and it ran great ,infact it ran smoother and i got a bit more mpg . next job is to repair the cracked pipe to the egr valve then blank it off
damian

Postby MinorMatt » Mon May 12, 2014 5:03 pm

I ran a 50/50 veg oil/diesel mix in my focus for a while (which has the same pump) it ran fine, but in terms of economy I still spent the same on diesel + the cost of the veg oil so gave the idea up fairly quickly!
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby karl » Mon May 12, 2014 5:09 pm

i run pure oil this time of year but in winter i mix 75%oil 25% diesal :D
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby damian » Mon May 12, 2014 5:25 pm

im glad others are using cooking oil as so many people say you cant . its in my transit camper conversion iv just done .I need it to be economical to justify the conversion . il put more cooking oil in now .infact iv just put 20l in tonight before my drive home of 30 odd miles and it ran great . spent most of te day getting the broken egr pipe off .then making 2 blanking plates for it before the dreaded pipe to manifold clamp. van has never run so well and uses loads less fuel
damian

Postby captin_arresto » Thu May 15, 2014 5:14 am

I run a mix of used cooking oil processed into biodiesel with methanol and costic soda (to remove the fatty free acids, make it ph neutral and make it runnier) and pump diesel and it runs smoother than just pump diesel. I've run mixes of up to probably 85% bio and 15% pump fine. I've been thinking about trying to switch to just filtered used cooking oil and pump diesel at a 50/50 mix to save $ but haven't done it yet.
captin_arresto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jay » Thu May 15, 2014 10:32 pm

I have run a mk6 75ps on 50 mix veg oil(new veg oil not used) and it ran ok but keep a spare filter in the van along with a bit of diesel to fill up new filter if it gets clogged up...veg oil as u know will clean the fuel pipes and tank of sludge build up and will clogg the filter quickly when you first use veg oil but over time its ok..I thought i had killed a pump on that van as it suddenly stopped on me one day but it was just a clogged filter and once a new one fitted it ran fine and never had the problem again... running my current 100ps one on 50 mix again but in winter i run a 25% mix of veg oil.. I have noticed on this 100ps one it now idles smoother and i get same mpg...
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andypdq » Thu May 15, 2014 11:00 pm

jay wrote:I have run a mk6 75ps on 50 mix veg oil(new veg oil not used) and it ran ok but keep a spare filter in the van along with a bit of diesel to fill up new filter if it gets clogged up...veg oil as u know will clean the fuel pipes and tank of sludge build up and will clogg the filter quickly when you first use veg oil but over time its ok..I thought i had killed a pump on that van as it suddenly stopped on me one day but it was just a clogged filter and once a new one fitted it ran fine and never had the problem again... running my current 100ps one on 50 mix again but in winter i run a 25% mix of veg oil.. I have noticed on this 100ps one it now idles smoother and i get same mpg...

So it looks like we are now killing another myth :D , you can't run a VP30 on veg oil, with or witout a genuine fuel filter, beware of the " argument from popularity", a logical fallacy, just because a majority say it can't be done, doesn't mean that they're right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Technical Problems & Questions