*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New alternator now warning light stays on problem

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

New alternator now warning light stays on problem

Postby firewalker » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:38 pm

Reconditioned alternator fitted today at local garage, tested the voltage and was charging ok.
Took a quick blip to get the dash light to go out then had a 5 minute drive to shops, came back out now the light stays on. Took it for a run out no better.
Before I have to go out of my way to take it back in would anyone suggest a reason for this on the assumption the new alternator is actually working fine? (No means to test it myself).
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: New alternator now warning light stays on problem

Postby Altransit » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 pm

You need to test the voltage when the engine is running, but it does sound like the new one is faulty to me :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby firewalker » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:39 pm

Altransit wrote:You need to test the voltage when the engine is running, but it does sound like the new one is faulty to me :(

Thanks for the feedback - it was tested while running at the garage and was ok.

Wondering if the bad alternator has damaged the battery on its way out, its about 3 years old though not had a lot of use by a long chalk and mostly motorway miles.
Drove around 80 miles with the light coming on/going off before the replacement.

Is it likely or even common for a failing alternator to damage the battery so it doesnt hold charge then cause the dash light to come on and stay on?
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DodgeRover » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Nope not likely to be the battery if it will start the van, the dash light being on shows the alternator isn't charging, I just had a faulty new one for my Mk2 but that didn't charge from the moment it was fitted, you could try checking the connections on the back of the alternator in case a wire has come a drift.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby firewalker » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:15 pm

DodgeRover wrote:Nope not likely to be the battery if it will start the van, the dash light being on shows the alternator isn't charging, I just had a faulty new one for my Mk2 but that didn't charge from the moment it was fitted, you could try checking the connections on the back of the alternator in case a wire has come a drift.

Thanks, had a check round for loose wiring but couldn't see any. There are only three fixed on the top, very secure.
Back to the garage tomorrow then :(
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby 75psT330lwb » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:42 pm

how old is van? common for early mk6 rwd's to break one of the three wires on plug and cause non charging.
Moondust Silver 125 TDCiT260. Lots of toys (The Flying Machine!)
75psT330lwb
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby firewalker » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:00 am

Thanks, forgot to mention its the Mk5 banana type non-turbo lump.
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby firewalker » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:58 pm

Today the garage reckoned the light needed 'exciting' which involved connecting two of the terminals on top of the alternator with a bit of wire, engine running.
It worked.
Took it for a spin, fine, stopped, turned off, waited 20 minutes, started and ran fine.
Took it for a 10 minute spin, fine.
Parked up at home, went back and the light stayed on again. :evil:

Did the trick with the wire, light goes off again.
They said they'll fit another alternator tomorrow - but is there any reason to think that this won't solve the problem and that some wiring should be looked at?

Grateful for any opinions as I need to set off on a 400 mile round trip tomorrow - not the best 'test environment'!
Panicking in case it packs up after a longer while running and drains the battery completely so the wire trick wouldn't save me!!!
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby firewalker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:33 pm

Garage fitted another alternator (reconditioned) - seems like a duff new alternator all along.

For anyone who finds themselves needing a temporary fix for the light coming on after restarting the engine - meaning the alternator has failed to start charging the battery - try simply connecting each end of a piece of wire to the first and second from left terminals by hand. Takes a second then you hear the engine tone change and the light should be off and battery charging. Then keep the piece of wire handy!
The terminals are under the plastic cap on the top of the alternator, easily snaps on and off.
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions