*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Please help grrrrr

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Please help grrrrr

Postby Frannyg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi just after joining the site and everyone seems so helpful!! My trouble is with a 02 LDV that has the transit engine and was parked up for about 5 yrs and when you put water on the expansion tank it runs straight in to the engine and from the info I was able to get off this site I thought it might be the oil cooler so I by passed it and it's still doing the same thing, any help would be great as it's a camper and I'm trying to get it ready for a festival in a few weeks time!! Thanks!!
Frannyg

Re: Please help grrrrr

Postby captain hook » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:08 pm

It was parked for 5 years for a reason...................

The engine is FUBAR.... :lol:

Take the head off and have a good look at it and the bores :wink:
captain hook
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Frannyg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:18 pm

It was parked as the owner was abroad, it's a fresh engine with only 70,000 on it but I'm thinkin it froze at some stage as I took off the rocker cover and has 2 core plugs blown out so I'm hoping this was the cause of the water running straight to the sump but knowin my luck the engine is probably knackered!!
Frannyg

Postby DodgeRover » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:51 pm

If water is going straight into the sump its not down to the core plugs (it would just run out the holes and onto the floor from the core plugs) - if it has frozen solid then I would guess it has either a cracked block or head allowing water to get into the oilways - a second hand engine is going to be the simplest solution. Save the pump etc off your existing one though.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andypdq » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:24 pm

DodgeRover wrote:If water is going straight into the sump its not down to the core plugs (it would just run out the holes and onto the floor from the core plugs) - if it has frozen solid then I would guess it has either a cracked block or head allowing water to get into the oilways - a second hand engine is going to be the simplest solution. Save the pump etc off your existing one though.

Sounds about right, because you mentioned an oil cooler, I'm assuming you have a Duratorq. If that's the case, you may wish to consier converting to a 2.5 Di from an earlier model, dirt cheap bombproof motoring. :D
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby TripleSix » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:03 pm

Frannyg wrote:It was parked as the owner was abroad, it's a fresh engine with only 70,000 on it but I'm thinkin it froze at some stage as I took off the rocker cover and has 2 core plugs blown out so I'm hoping this was the cause of the water running straight to the sump but knowin my luck the engine is probably knackered!!

replace the core plugs and try it, nothing to lose - but its possible you have internal freeze damage...
2013 MWB AWD
TripleSix
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Frannyg » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks guys I replaced the core plugs and filled the header and it held the water and I thought happy days, went to turn it over and now it's putting oil in the water the opposite of the problem I started out with I'd say the engine is knackered??
Frannyg

Postby bambi mk 1 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:33 pm

If its a Duratorq your oil cooler and or your water pump is away.Had this a few times with no antifreeze.
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Frannyg » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Ya it's a duratorque engine and I had the oil cooler bypassed to eliminate that what is the chances of the head being cracked?? Looking like I'm going to have to get an engine for it, if I get a 2.4 out of a transit will I have to change the ecu in the ldv or is it just a straight swap?? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for all you input!!
Frannyg

Postby bambi mk 1 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:24 pm

If you remove the water pump from the block 4 bolts and pull it away without removing the hoses and top up the header tank and check if there is water running out the oil holes in the pump.
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions