*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 orange dash light flickered on - what is it?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk5 orange dash light flickered on - what is it?

Postby firewalker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:41 pm

The second from left dash light, next to the red alternator light, flickered orange for I think a few seconds (that I'd noticed).
Carried on for over an hour without it coming back on.
May just be coincidence, but when I spotted it I turned off the cd player and it went off! Left it off for the rest of the drive.

Can't tell what this light is trying to tell me - any clues gents?

2.5 diesel non-turbo in a mk5.
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Mk5 orange dash light flickered on - what is it?

Postby Backbone of Britain » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Probably the water in fuel light. Wiring from plug on bottom of fuel filter may be chaffed, common problem which would put the light on intermittently.
2006 Mk6 115 T350 LWB Highroof
2008 Mk7 115 T350 LX LWB Highroof
Backbone of Britain
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby spospe » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:34 pm

I have had a MK5 water-in-fuel sensor go faulty and it started to come on more or less at random whilst driving. I suggest firstly, check to see if there is any water in the fuel (drain at bottom of fuel filter) and secondly, assuming no water, give it a week or so and if the light still flickers (and the wiring is OK), then you probably have a duff sensor.
spospe
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kedishen » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:34 pm

Alot of time the sensors have been left disconnected by garage mechanics anyway. Just look at the bottom of fuel filter to see if any wires come from it. If none, the sensor will be dangling about somewhere getting knocked about.
Livin' in me van in Portugal.

'93 Mk4 TD 150L Hitop Custom Camper
100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby eresseraca » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Mine's coming on occasionally now as well when driving. Only staying on for a second or two at a time.

So would you guys care to describe in detail. Just unscrew the drain plug on the fuel filter and water will find its way out by its own?

When thinking about it, if its a straight forward easy thing that could be taken care of in the outdoor parking lot I could replace the fuel filter with a new one at the same time. Is it just a twist-lock that you remove and put a new one in there or is there steps to be taken not to get air into the system when swapping it?
eresseraca

Postby knobby1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:07 pm

eresseraca wrote:So would you guys care to describe in detail. Just unscrew the drain plug on the fuel filter and water will find its way out by its own?

When thinking about it, if its a straight forward easy thing that could be taken care of in the outdoor parking lot I could replace the fuel filter with a new one at the same time. Is it just a twist-lock that you remove and put a new one in there or is there steps to be taken not to get air into the system when swapping it?

Water is heavier than fuel so the water will sit in the bottom of the filter, it will drain out first. If changing the filter, it's best to fill it with fresh fuel before fitting, or she'll be a pig to start.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby eresseraca » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:59 am

Thanks Knobby1!!
eresseraca

Return to Technical Problems & Questions