*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Alternator light in mk1

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Alternator light in mk1

Postby Boffin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi there, I've put a banana engine in my lwb mk1, the engine was from a 1999 T reg transit the alternator is connected up and I've checked with a multi meter and its charging fine, the alternator has a big wire going to the battery and two little wires on the side which I've tried connecting to the wire for the charging light but it doesn't go out, don't really want to change the alternator just to get the light to work as this alternator is newish and charging fine, any ideas electrical experts? Many many thanks. Ben.
Boffin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Alternator light in mk1

Postby DodgeRover » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:39 pm

My understanding is that if the charge warning light isn't connected or the bulb is blown then the alternator will not charge, what voltage are you showing when it is running ? If it is charging 13.5v is somewhere around normal
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Boffin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:56 pm

The big thick wire from the alternator to the battery is there and I've put a multimeter across the battery and its showing about 13.5v so it's charging the battery alright, it's just it would be nice to have a light so I know it's charging, I could always put an older alternator on where the light is just connected to one of the terminals on the alternator, or I could connect up a volt gauge, but the light would be neater. Thanks again for any help.
Boffin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby AndyG » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:16 am

Only ONE of the small side cables is for the light and the other one is for a rev counter :!:

Are you using the original alternator plug with wiring :?: or connecting direct with the van's original wiring :?:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Boffin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi AndyG,
I have the big wire straight to the battery, and the two little wires are just out of the alternator at the minute, on the other side I just have 1 wire from the mk1 wiring loom when I earth this wire the light comes on at the speedo, I've tried connecting this wire with one of the alternator wires, the light comes on but when I start it and rev it up the light stays on, any ideas?? Thanks again for your help :)
Boffin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Frag » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:43 pm

The wire from your dash light(usually blue)

Needs to be to the D+ terminal on alternator will be a blue,blue and black or blue and white in the connector.

Other wire (you won't need)should then be the W terminal and grey/black which is rev counter feed and around half charging voltage ( i.e. 7.5 volts)

Sometimes they need one initial 'rev' above idle for lamp to go out once started... :!:
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby ake » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:41 pm

It's the small wire in the middle for the charging light
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Frag » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:40 pm

Evening Ake :)

I think the alternator he has will be the later type on a '99...

2 pin multiplug on side,rather than 3 bolt on top style fitted to mk4's and early 5's..
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby ake » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Frag wrote:Evening Ake :)

I think the alternator he has will be the later type on a '99...

2 pin multiplug on side,rather than 3 bolt on top style fitted to mk4's and early 5's..

Ah, I was thinking of my 97!
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Boffin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:14 pm

Thanks lads, yes mine is the later one with 1 big bolt at the back for the big cable to the battery and a connector on the side with 2 little wires, like u say blue and black and white and black, I'll try it again and leave it for a while, I did it before and revved it up and it didn't go out, but may just need longer, I have got an older one somewhere if all else fails, thanks again chaps. Ben.
Boffin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions