*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

van smokes terrible under load

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

van smokes terrible under load

Postby Dave.manning » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:16 am

hi i have a 2001 ldv 2.5 diesel lwb high top van
it struggled to go through m.o.t last year on emmisions.i can see the same problem happening this year.ive done oil and filter change and changed middle and back box on exhaust as some idiot stood on it and snapped them both.is .i know they have problems with the e g r valve but somebody has altered it as when i went to scrapyard to have a look there was 2 pipes on e.g.r. valve.has someone done away with 1 pipe to stop something?.is something passing on the engine?
many thanks.dave
Dave.manning
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: van smokes terrible under load

Postby Jim Archer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:04 pm

If definately the Ford motor, then disabling the EGR (is the 'pot' still connected to the vacuum feed?) means the butterfly flap is held closed by a spring, pull the manifold containing the flap and unscrew if from the shaft.

Blanking the feed pipe from the exhaust to the EGR valve/inlet manifold can't hurt either as it could possibly be the valve stuck open and allowing the intake boost pressure to short circuit straight in to the exhaust.

HTH

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Dave.manning » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:39 am

yeh its definatly ford engine.its the banana engine.
thanks i will check this later and get back to you
dave
Dave.manning
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby jay » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:50 pm

and slacken the throttle cable a bit may help get it through a test.. you could also back off the max fuel screw on back of the pump so it injects less fuel
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Dave.manning » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:22 pm

egr valve has been blanked off already, will adjust the throttle cable off as m.o.t is today :( .been reading quite a bit on this forum and now unsure weather to wind screw in on back of diesel pump or weather its the screw under the cover where the throttle boby sits.ive taken cover off but still not sure if this is the 1 so i have not adjusted it yet..please let me know which 1 to adjust.i noticed there is no paint on the 13 mm nut with allen key in middle of ,does this mean this has been adjusted?it doesnt look like anybody has ever taken the cover off that stops you accessing the bolt and allen key.im only getting about 100 to 120 to 30 pounds worth of diesel,does that sound right..seems a bit high to me.if it is i wonder how much fuel ive put in this thing for the last 3 years covering 20,000 miles.regards dave
Dave.manning
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Jim Archer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:05 pm

What state is the airfilter in?

Pump and injectors a matched set? - can be adjusted if they aren't.

Butterfly flap in intake opening fully?

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby DodgeRover » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:28 pm

£30 of derv is only about 23 litres - 5 gallon(ish) so its doing in the 20's per gallon consumption might be a bit high depending on what you are doing with it and how much load + body shape
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Technical Problems & Questions