*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Not starting problem on Mk6 2ltr DI

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Not starting problem on Mk6 2ltr DI

Postby daddychubby » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:13 pm

I have a not starting problem on My Mk6 2ltr Di Transit. I have read lots of similar posts on here and tried several of the suggestions. The background to the problem is. About 4 months after buying this Transit (its a 2001 model by the way)I had a fire in the engine bay. It turns out that there had been a diesel leak from the pump and had soaked the starter and lots of other stuff in diesel. the result was I had the pump replaced and the starter motor, and also the main cable loom to the pump etc so all that is newish. about a year after this was done I noticed a loss of power on hills and under load. however it was starting fine it ran otherwise quite well until one day the problem got worse. I was coming off the motor way up the off ramp had to stop at the lights and the engine died and would not restart.
The RAC were called and started the engine with easy start but the motor just ran for a couple of seconds and stalled. After doing this several time and trying several things the guy was at a loss as to what was wrong. Diesel was getting to the injectors and with his battery as donor the engine turned over well enough but would not maintain going once started. He then Towed me home.
I have since changed the following. Battery, Air filter, fuel filter. I have ordered a crank sensor as I measured the one fitted and it read 760ohms and i am sure I have read somewhere that it should be 400Ohms. Since doing all this it does not start on easy start now. I am also looking at changing the Injectors but it seems odd that they would all fail together. Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.
Transit Year 2001 Mk6 T300 SWB Hightop Campervan 2ltr diesel Di .
daddychubby

Re: Not starting problem on Mk6 2ltr DI

Postby Altransit » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:17 pm

You really need to get some codes read, otherwise it's all guesswork (which can be expensive) :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby daddychubby » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:01 pm

I did have the codes read, a chap that lives near by works in a garage and loaned me their reader. it was a very expensive one and he swears by it. any way there was 2 codes the second one was 'Engine stop requested' unfortunately I cannot remember what the numbers were, and I stupidly cleared them. I will get the reader again if I can and see if they have occured again it did run for about 30 minutes once then stopped and would not start again.
daddychubby

Postby daddychubby » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Well I got another crank sensor. I have measured it and it reads 395 Ohms so it looks like that may be part of the problem. As I understand it the engine should start even with the crank sensor disconnected, but would then shut down as no output from the sensor would cause the engine stop request. What in now need to solve is why it will not start in the first place. lets hope for some decent weather to work on it.
daddychubby

Postby angeleye » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:37 am

As mentioned have another code read and put numbers up think crank sensor ohms is ok .as long as wiring ok and you place new sensor on top of a reluctor ring tooth its prob ok as it will then shave tit of to get correct air gap which is nots so critical on a tddi.sensor produces its own voltage which will be small when cranking.3v..7v not sure.faster it turns over the higher the voltage..did fuel absolutley piss out all over place it should do.if trying be very careful diesel in blood stream aint good.and fuel pump pressure can penetrate skin
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby daddychubby » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Ok I managed to get codes read, they are as follows.
P0149 Fuel Timing error.
P1563 Injection pump control requested engine stop.
P1664 Injection pump control Module Malfunction.
I been reading up on changing the crank sensor but do not see how you can look down the hole where it fits to see if the right tooth on the fly wheel is there.
I will try with my snake probe tomorrow hope fully.
While reading the codes I had a look at the live data etc. I noticed there was also a page to look at Injector programming etc.
Is there any programming to do on A Direct Injection engine? It seems to me that would be for a TDCI engine where the Injectors are controlled electronically by the ECU.
Lets hope for some suitable weather tomorrow.
daddychubby

Postby Altransit » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:23 pm

Those codes together are usually indicative of a faulty pump, or possibly a fault in the wiring loom to the pump :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby ake » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:04 pm

daddychubby wrote:Ok I managed to get codes read, they are as follows.
P0149 Fuel Timing error.
P1563 Injection pump control requested engine stop.
P1664 Injection pump control Module Malfunction.
I been reading up on changing the crank sensor but do not see how you can look down the hole where it fits to see if the right tooth on the fly wheel is there.
I will try with my snake probe tomorrow hope fully.
While reading the codes I had a look at the live data etc. I noticed there was also a page to look at Injector programming etc.
Is there any programming to do on A Direct Injection engine? It seems to me that would be for a TDCI engine where the Injectors are controlled electronically by the ECU.
Lets hope for some suitable weather tomorrow.

You can't program the injectors, that's for a TDci.

I reckon your pumps gone, based on those codes
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby angeleye » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:58 pm

crank sensor sits on top of any tooth that lines up with sensor hole,,as mentioned pump codes,do check wiring to pump as well
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby daddychubby » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:35 am

I had the pump changed just over a year ago. after I had the fire in the engine bay, it cost me over £1700 what with having the wiring replaced as well. Is it really the pump, I do get fuel out at the injectors. When I bled the pipes after having one of them out there was diesel coming out.
Weather is looking good at the moment so onwards and upwards as the say.
daddychubby

Postby daddychubby » Thu May 14, 2015 2:12 pm

well I am still struggling with this beast. I must admit during the winter months I did very little, However I am having another go now. that the better weather is here.
I bought another engine and I am in the process of changing it over. The problem I have at the moment is that I need a bango bolt for the turbo oil feed local spares man says they are a ford only piece, so I tried there. yes they will supply one but only with the complete pipework, and that is £52. Talk about rip off. £52 would still be a rip off even if I needed the whole pipe, never mind just needing the bolt for 1 end.
So my question is what is the fitting thread size and pattern is it BSP, NSP or fords own invention. i do know its not metric as I bought one of those and the thread is far to fine.
Can anyone help please.
daddychubby

Return to Technical Problems & Questions