*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit MK7 RWD Gearbox issue

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit MK7 RWD Gearbox issue

Postby Rich07 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi

After being a long time reader of this forum, the time has come to post details relating to a problem of my very own. Any thoughts relating to what may be causing the issue would be greatly appreciated!

I purchased a MK7 Transit (RWD 2.4 - 2009), a few months ago and love it. A couple of weeks ago my gearshift went floppy whilst driving, the solution was new gear selector cables.

Since the time the cables were fitted, 4th gear occasionally popped out and then made a grinding noise until I either re-engaged 4th or changed into a different gear. Over the last couple of days this issue has become worse, to a point where 4th rarely engages and just grinds. Every other gear engages without issues.

My question is, could this issue be connected in any way to the new gear selector cables? Or is it likely to be just a coincidence that the problems with 4th surfaced at the time the cables were changed and instead the issue is more likely to be synchro related?

I understand that the gearbox has been reconditioned during its near history (the van now has 190,000 on the clock), I'm in the process of trying to find out exactly when!

4th gear is selectable without any issues when the engine is off or when the clutch is down.

Many thanks in advance for any help
Last edited by Rich07 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich07

Re: Transit MK7 RWD Gearbox issue

Postby ake » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Cables might just need adjusted, but it probably time for a gearbox rebuild
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Rich07 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks for your thoughts ake. Can the cables be adjusted?
Rich07

Postby dodgy01 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 pm

i may be wrong but i have never noticed any adjustments on the mk 7 and i have changed loads of gear boxes
dodgy01
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Technical Problems & Questions