*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

wiring problems due to rodents

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

wiring problems due to rodents

Postby Royster » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi, I own a 6 month old 125 trend custom. Having been away for a week, when I started her up I had an engine management light, within a couple of days the van went into limp mode. The AA diagnosed a "heat sensor wiring fault". The van was recovered to a local dealer who told me it was a DPF fault, 10 days later I was told it was the heat sensor wiring caused by chewed cables, the dealer suggested a rodent had got in and chewed them. The sensors were replaced at a cost of £470 to myself (rodents are not covered by the warranty).
I have had the van back exactly 1 week, when I went to start her this morning I was confronted with an engine management failure light and limp mode. The AA diagnosed "heat sensor wiring fault" again. After moving the vehicle to the dealers I found chewed cables and insulation on the ground. I guess I am now looking at another £500 bill to fix it.
My question is - has anyone else had any similar problems? What can I do to prevent it from happening again (im not sure keeping a cat under the bonnet is very humane)! What is so tasty in transit custom wiring looms?
Royster

Re: wiring problems due to rodents

Postby ake » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:12 pm

There were a number of cases of this with Mk 7 vans. New cable must give off a smell that appeals to rats, I have known new cable be installed in a roof space, that have been chewed within days, but the old cables remain untouched
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Marty.H » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Cover it all in WD40 they won't like the taste of that and it won't do any harm to the wiring or smear vaseline all over the loom a nice thick layer if it's the same piece of wire again.
Marty.H
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby PintoAutoMk4 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Just came across this
http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/e ... B?ref=list
It's an electronic rodent repeller for vehicles. I've no idea if it works but at that price it might be worth a go.
PintoAutoMk4
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Endlebury48 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:52 pm

I have a new Ford Transit limited custom which I purchased in April 2014. I have had 5 months of happy motoring until suddenly I noticed that the yellow engine light came up. So I decided to take the van back to the nearest ford dealers where it was discovered that the wiring loom underneath had been eaten away by rats. As with your Royster's case it was not covered under the warranty and so I had to pay £530 to have it fixed and was without a van for over a week. Low and behold 4 weeks later I have gone outside to start my van and it would not start. I called the AA this time and he informed me that not only had rats eaten the wiring loom but they have also bitten through some sensor wires!! Just been told by Ford that it is going to now cost me nearly £700 to fix. I have spoken with Ford's Head Office and complained about this and they have come back to me and said that it is not their problem!

Over the years I have had other makes of vans and parked them in the same place and never had a problem like this. My transit is parked between a Ducato and a Renault Traffic, there is also a Mercedes van and 14 other vehicles parked in this court yard that are not affected. Yet for some reason my van is! Does anyone know why this could be and what I can do about it?

Are ultimately Ford responsible for this design/manufacturing problem?

Any advice or ideas please.
Endlebury48

Postby ake » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:19 pm

Endlebury48 wrote:I have a new Ford Transit limited custom which I purchased in April 2014. I have had 5 months of happy motoring until suddenly I noticed that the yellow engine light came up. So I decided to take the van back to the nearest ford dealers where it was discovered that the wiring loom underneath had been eaten away by rats. As with your Royster's case it was not covered under the warranty and so I had to pay £530 to have it fixed and was without a van for over a week. Low and behold 4 weeks later I have gone outside to start my van and it would not start. I called the AA this time and he informed me that not only had rats eaten the wiring loom but they have also bitten through some sensor wires!! Just been told by Ford that it is going to now cost me nearly £700 to fix. I have spoken with Ford's Head Office and complained about this and they have come back to me and said that it is not their problem!

Over the years I have had other makes of vans and parked them in the same place and never had a problem like this. My transit is parked between a Ducato and a Renault Traffic, there is also a Mercedes van and 14 other vehicles parked in this court yard that are not affected. Yet for some reason my van is! Does anyone know why this could be and what I can do about it?

Are ultimately Ford responsible for this design/manufacturing problem?

Any advice or ideas please.

It's not Fords fault. If a mouse ate your cheese you couldn't blame Tesco!
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Brains_transit » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:43 pm

I'm sure if you were to fix the wiring yourself it wouldnt cost so much
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bigjohnthomas » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:46 pm

I feel your pain
I feel your shame
But your not to blame :D
The c***s have eaten 2of my coats last week :x
Red rum
You have to kill the little brown b*stards before they do it again
KiLl KILl kiLl faster FasTeR KIll kill
Most lightly one rogue rat b*stard pink poison blocks with holes in the middle tied up with wire to the chassis and loom should get the little c***
Don't worry too much about non target species a rat only needs 1milligram per kilogram to top it a dog 10 milligrams/ kg and a cat 25 mg /kg and the stuff is only .05% or .005 :? any decent dog would have to eat ermm. About err 5000kg of the stuff to do anything

Its that time of year
diE mOUse/rAt DIe :x

Hope this helps
Princess allcock
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby FredTransit » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Not just new wiring. Had this 2 years ago just before Mania. Rats consumed most of the contents of Connie. After 3 days of sweeping what was left out the door and bleaching everything else we were ready for off. It was raining. No wipers. The little b'stards had eaten the wiring. Also stayed over at the yard and the first night they eat the gearlever gaiter in Camilla to get in the van.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby Mr RVM » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:42 pm

leave them a peanut butter sandwich and they wont be interested in eating your wiring :lol: They keep gnawing away at plastic tool cases up my shed (and by the way Altransit, they prefer Bosch to Makita :lol: :lol: )
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Roland Rat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:47 pm

yep having same issue with so called rats ( the first time by "Roland" ) eating the wiring loom now (foxes are getting the blame " basil " I suppose ) this is the second time now @ £700.00 going to make a small clams : ( van not fit for purpose ,if you can not leave it outside ? )
Roland Rat

Postby Roland Rat » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:57 am

I have the same issue twice now @ £700.00 : ford say its not there problem ! ( not fit for purpose ? SC )
Roland Rat

Postby ake » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:08 pm

How can it be the manufacturers problem if vermin attack your van?
Good luck with that claim :lol: :lol:
ake
Site Moderator

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:31 pm

Roland Rat wrote:I have the same issue twice now @ £700.00 : ford say its not there problem ! ( not fit for purpose ? SC )

£700 you could buy 2 Jack Russells and feed them for a year for that + they would keep van emptiers at bay too :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby whitemice » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:40 pm

Freddie Starr ate my hamster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIaGWURONRU
'' VOTE Kim Jong Unwell.
Mike writ '' a vote for lABOUR is a vote for islam and a conservative vote is a vote for islam and a vote for liberal is a vote for islam. ''
DBVM ''a vote for UKIP is a vote for islam''
whitemice
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Location: normalised heavily chemtrailed cretinous individual just like you

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions