*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Newb With Transit LPG Problems

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Newb With Transit LPG Problems

Postby TheGardener » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Hi

I bought a 53 plate Transit 2.3 Dual fuel. When I bought it the gas wasn't working, that was about 3 weeks ago.

When switched over to gas while stationery it would switch then after 5-10 secs would cut out. When switched to gas while driving it kangaroos. I've done about 700 miles in it fine on petrol.

I don't know when it was last serviced/gas serviced but struggling to find somebody to do it.

After looking on the web last Sunday I held the revs at 3k rpm and it run fine, when the revs drop below 2k approx it was hard to get the revs back up. Yesterday I stepped the relays up 2 places as I had heard this may help but it was hard to get it to 3k rpm.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Darren
1974 Triumph 1500TC
1968 Triumph Vitesse (Undergoing Resto)
Based Nr Colchester, Essex
TheGardener

Re: Newb With Transit LPG Problems

Postby mealic » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi Darren, as said in many replies,first of all make sure it`s running A1 on petrol.

First and most economical thing to try is to change the lambda sensor located in the exhaust downpipe on right of engine. You can buy a universal 4 wire online and solder the terminals yourself to the tails when you cut off your connecting plug. They do come with instructions. Maybe the RPM filter needs changing.This is by the relays that you stepped up. Not cheap though.If you are confident and competent you can service the system yourself but it does become a bit involved. The stepper motor in the distributor can also control the revs via electronic signal sent via the LPG management system...............very fiddly.Hope this helps for now.Have you put your name on the LPG owners list.(do a search).

Where exactly are you based?

`04 2.3 petrol/LPG
mealic
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby DodgeRover » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:27 pm

Try a post on the LPGdiscussionforum, plenty of people on there knowledgeable about the factory fit setups.
As has been said make sure its running perfectly on petrol otherwise you will have no chance on gas, fit a new set of plugs (possibly with slightly reduced gap) as well. There is probably a filter on the LPG feed somewhere - chances are its getting ready for changing as they gradually get full of black tar (its the 'heavy ends' from the gas).

If the lambda sensor was faulty it should throw up an error on petrol as well to my thinking
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mealic » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:15 am

[quote=

If the lambda sensor was faulty it should throw up an error on petrol as well to my thinking[/quote]

You are right in suggesting that there is an LPG filter. From experience it either gets blocked or it doesn`t. Yes of course it should be changed but it would possibly make no difference. LPG burns at a different temperature to petrol so the lambda detects the difference and "generally " causes a problem.

Ideally one would change plugs,coil packs,two filters,lambda,RPM filter,relays,clean stepper motor and distributor,re-pressurise vaporiser,change switch,replace tank solenoid, Hundreds of pounds and you don`t then necessarily know where the problem originated from.

All I know is, that when I had the same problem as Darren I changed what was a new sensor and have not had much of a problem since.

`04 2.3 petrol/LPG
mealic
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby TheGardener » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:31 am

Thank you for the replies.

The coil packs were new when I bought the van, will check on the other items.

All the best

Darren
1974 Triumph 1500TC
1968 Triumph Vitesse (Undergoing Resto)
Based Nr Colchester, Essex
TheGardener

Return to Technical Problems & Questions