*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

water leakage from radiator

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

water leakage from radiator

Postby T&L » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:11 pm

hi

i've seen on my transit mk2 (OHC 1.6L petrol engine that also run LPG) that radiator leaks water. Is this a serious problem? some mechanic said yes some not, BUT the people who say yes can't explain why this can be a problem [or they don't want explain?] and HOW to fix it.
there is also always little bit of oil on the head of the engine....maybe is for the head gasket?
the transit have got 87000 km, i think it's so soon to change the head gasket....

does anyone got the same problem?
T&L
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: water leakage from radiator

Postby jay » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:58 pm

it will be a problem as if water gets to low engine will overheat..
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby T&L » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:49 pm

yeah, in fact i stop and check the water level every two or max three days of trip.
I ask because i'm worried about an internal failure of cooling system
T&L
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Marauder » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:48 am

Put a bottle of K-Seal in the rad in 10 mins it will stop your water leak,Costs about tenner from a motor factors.My Mk7 had a bad leak from the egr cooler last year.K-Seal Cured it.K-Seal was invented for the old k series rover head leaks.( So im told )
Ford Transit 280 SWB,,Year 2008,,2.2,, If it can,t be fixed/repaired/ with a 4 pound lump hammer then it must be an electrical problem.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:06 pm

Leaks only ever get worse. Get it fixed before it fails completely and drops all the coolant when you are driving
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby T&L » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:56 pm

OK guys; thanks to you all for replies and sorry me because i forgot to say that radiator is all OK; it leaks water from the standard top hole.
So; i ask why this happens? The cause can be a solid deposit on water circuit or something like this that can create an excess of volumes in the water circuit?
T&L
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:27 pm

Could well be head gasket. Especially as it's on lpg
ake
Site Moderator

Postby T&L » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:20 pm

ok; but how is linked the head gasket with LPG?
i ask just for information, because i know that i must change it every 100.000/150.000 km....but on machine, not on van, expecially under-dimensionated engine of a camper as it is
T&L
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Lpg burns differently to Petrol, with different extremes of temperature, this can cause premature head gasket failure, or in the case of the Rover V8 premature block failure!
ake
Site Moderator

Postby DodgeRover » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:58 pm

Before you start worrying about the head gasket try fitting a new radiator cap, if the old spring has got weak it will allow water to be blown out the overflow.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby T&L » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:12 am

@ DodgeRover

you misunderstood me; i mean the "overflow" hole that it's normally present on the top of radiator, placed perpendicular to the top hole.

@ ake

thanks; after i started to read some stuff on internet i finally realize that bi-fuel petrol-LPG OLD motor is a real waste, BECAUSE:

1 - Ford it's now starting to produce a standard modified engine particulary fitted to run on LPG: that means that a normal engine like OHC 1593cc it's not made for run LPG, without having modified at least the valve type, inition timing and some other stuff

2- Cummins westport, MAN and other heavy duty engine maker start to build CNG or LPG engine by Diesel block, that runs only LPG or CNG, so that means that there was a lot of technology that must be change in engine for work well with LPG

3- i read on the spec that my veicle is Euro-0 so, compared with a modern Diesel Euro-6 it's not a great deal....
Also, there is some part of the LPG implant to change because it runs only for 200/250 km with 60 L of LPG and this is not normal, also for under-dimensionated engine

now i will try to find a money to replace the engine with at least 3.0L CNG or LPG mono-fuel engine...I think it will be really expensive :( but let me dream about, it's for free :mrgreen:
T&L
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby T&L » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:42 am

@Dodge rover
Oh i read wrong; sadly spring work well...
T&L
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions