*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil/Water leaking

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Oil/Water leaking

Postby J1MMIE » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:31 am

Oil/Water Leaks

Ford Transit T280, 2.2 85ps fwd 2008

Hi Thanks for helping! I bought my Transit T280 just over a year ago it runs fine, I had the gearbox issue with the seizing gearbox selector bearing which I lubed that's still smooth , It has a little idle problem which I will have to leave for now but that's not the main issue :(.
New oil filter, Oil:-(Castrol Magnatec 5w30 Fully Synthetic A1), Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Brake Discs/Pads replaced last year.
I have had a small water leak near the bottom of the oil cooler since I got the van and noticed It's always hard to get an oil level reading on the dipstick but runs well with no oils leeks at this stage and the temperature never goes over half way. On the last oil change a few months ago everything was fine the water leak was the same, the oil dipstick reading was little over again after a few weeks, no hissing or anything no warning lights but there's a little bit of gunk in the oil filler cap, the oils hot, smells nearly burnt with a little smoke. I thought I might of over filled It so drained a small amount of oil but still just over full on dipstick, then drained a little more altogether under half a litre by now still same, I drove under 10 miles checked for leaks no problems small water leak still. Next day half filter cap of oil and quite a bit of water all over oil filter cap and around bottom of oil cooler, I thought the oil filter cap was leaking but cant see any viable cracks. I started the engine sounded ok and a load more oils came pouring out, I have no oil in the water, I think it could be the oil cooler system, do you think there might be some other problems with the engine? If you can help I'd be very grateful thanks James.
J1MMIE

Re: Oil/Water leaking

Postby ake » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:05 pm

Replace oil cooler first
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby J1MMIE » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:42 pm

I thought that would be best approach, I've cleaned everything up can't find any leaks from any pipes. the leak looks like it could be coming from a small crack near the rim of oil filter cap the oil cooler does look like it could do with a change. I will check It more when I take It of, thanks for the help.
J1MMIE

Postby J1MMIE » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:37 pm

When I change the Oil cooler should I change the thermostats I think there's 2- 1 for the water and 1 for the oil cooler? I will put a new oil filter on with new oil but whilst the water and oils out are there any filters or anything worth changing or cleaning?
J1MMIE

Postby J1MMIE » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:38 pm

When I change the Oil cooler should I change the thermostats I think there's 2- 1 for the water and 1 for the oil cooler? I will put a new oil filter on with new oil but whilst the water and oils out are there any filters or anything worth changing or cleaning?
ake wrote:Replace oil cooler first
J1MMIE

Postby J1MMIE » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:59 pm

Wrong link sorry
J1MMIE

Re: Oil/Water leaking 2008 Transit 2.2

Postby J1MMIE » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:45 pm

Problem solved- The original Oil Coolers units that were factory fitted have now been replaced with a modified Oil cooler and Ford only fit these modified Oil Coolers units now, they fit straight on and cost the same price-if your replacing your Oil Cooler online make sure you get the improved modified Oil Cooler (Original Equipment-OE MK7 2.2 Transit FWD Oil Cooler £100 from Transit Parts UK -Ebay). The Oil Coolers have bigger water radiators, the O-Rings-seals are attached to it ready for when you fit the Oil Cooler unit, It has a metal Oil Filter instead of a plastic capped one and the Oil Cooler Thermostat has been taken away.
I replaced my engine oil 6.2ltrs with the Oil Cooler (Recommended> 5-30w Engine Oil F/Synthetic Ford Formula F, 2x5ltr for £21 each with free delivery from ForayParts-01722 424200) the metal Oil filter comes fitted with the Oil Cooler Unit. I drained the water and oil out luckily they hadn't mixed together yet, then disconnected the Oil Pressure switch, then popped the water hoses off - prepare for more water maybe oil too, then there were 3 long bolts to undo and the whole unit comes off easy. Keep the old Oil Pressure Switch for the new Oil Cooler Unit or replace If needed, clean the surface where the old O-Rings were making sure It's flat and all the old O-Ring Seal has gone, rub some oil on the new O-Rings before the Oil Cooler Is fitted, carefully line the Oil Cooler Unit up with the bolt holes then do up the bolts evenly a torque wrench is recommended as they want to be done up evenly making sure the Unit Is sitting square and flush against the engine and not over tightened. Once the new modified Oil Cooler has been fitted make sure the oil sump plug has been done up from oil draining then re fill the engine oil. Now your ready for a water coolant clean/flush depending how bad It got my oil and coolant didn't mix so I gave it a half flush for now making sure i kept the mix right and will do a better one in the summer, you will need some (Recommended) distilled water £3 a gallon from Halfords don't use tap water It's bad for system, some OAT Antifreeze and Coolant. Once you have flushed/changed coolant job done. Also my tick-over idle problem seems to have gone It runs lovely too, I can for the first time since I got the van get a real good oil dipstick reading and it's bang on :D the new oil hasn't even changed colour yet-very good oil and smells much better, It sounds quieter too, and the oil should now last around only 6 thousand miles that's only 6000 miles but I need to double check this. The Engine will last longer also the engine oil won't burn up as quick resulting in better performance- engine life span.
J1MMIE

Postby J1MMIE » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:16 pm

http://autopartmaster.com/en/?action=ca ... _pic=12321

Old Oil Filter above but use full diagram as everything is similar
J1MMIE

Return to Technical Problems & Questions