*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Flat battery

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Flat battery

Postby isladeiona » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:21 am

Please can someone tell me why the battery is going flat in our motorhome after leaving it sitting for 2 weeks and leaving nothing on. The last time it happened we got the AA out who got it running and checked the battery and said it was holding a charge and that we probably left something on. We know for sure this time nothing was left on. Thanks Sandra
isladeiona
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Flat battery

Postby duvet » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:23 am

mines dead within 2 weeks everytime.

I discovered that there are things on the transit that need positive power to monitor them in what a normal person would consider a dormant situation - or in simple terms the doors have power going to them to make sure they are locked.

get yourself a solar panel

on the bright side - it takes longer to steal a van with a flat battery
ex-network rail 2007 mk7 100 LWB 350 8 seat.

buses stop at bus stations, trains stop at train stations....... on my desk i've got a workstation
duvet
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby isladeiona » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:37 pm

What size of solar panel would I need to keep it charged in winter?
isladeiona
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby sammyinnit » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:05 pm

I'm confused, it doesn't strike me as the time of year to be going camping anyway :p and as mentioned it's harder with a flat battery to Nick it. I'd personally just get a 240v charger and keep it plugged in if it's important. Being a camper I'd presume it has internal plug sockets and an external 'blue' industrial plug so it wouldn't be hard to set up an always on charger.
sammyinnit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby isladeiona » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:40 pm

No different from doing other cold sports in the winter. Why should the weather put us off. We camp most of the year round. I cant set up 240v with charger as the Motorhome is parked elsewhere. Really looking for a way to stop the drain on battery. Im thinking its the immobiliser but don't know how to de function it.
isladeiona
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ake » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:45 pm

Mine sits for 2/3 weeks and starts no problem, either your battery is knackered, or you have a drain.

If mine is plugged in to the mains the battery's are charged.

What make, model, year is your motorhome?
How old is the battery?
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby joinerman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:48 pm

If you go down the solar panel route get a 6w
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby isladeiona » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:21 pm

Hi, the MH is a chausson 2010. The previous time the battery went flat the AA checked it and said the battery was good, we had probably left something on for it to have drained but know for sure nothing was left on this time. EHU only charges leisure batteries. I assume the battery is the original one.
isladeiona
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ake » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:30 am

isladeiona wrote:Hi, the MH is a chausson 2010. The previous time the battery went flat the AA checked it and said the battery was good, we had probably left something on for it to have drained but know for sure nothing was left on this time. EHU only charges leisure batteries. I assume the battery is the original one.

The battery probably needs replaced, being fully discharged is not good for the battery.
Hook up should charge engine battery, unless the fuse has blown. Does your control panel give a reading of the battery level for both Engine and Leisure battery?
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby fortyeight » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:49 pm

mine goes down in a couple of week i put it down to the imobilizer so i now disconnect the battery and check it about every 4 to 5 week and still fully charged
fortyeight
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby yasser » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:18 pm

For a van of that age you should be able to have a battery that will last longer than a few weeks without starting. There is clearly a fault somewhere, the hard part might be finding it. In 1 of my campers I had a switch that would allow the leisure battery to start the engine. As you Motorhome is 2010 you should have all the leisure batteries fitted with an isolating switch. If you van is kept in storage and as long as you leisure batteries are in good order they should remain charged. You can fit a switch (one that you have to physically hold closed and will be open when you release) and the right sized wiring if needed to do this.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby isladeiona » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:52 pm

I don't think there is an isolating switch. I know that the leisure batteries will not start the engine, and neither will leaving ehu plugged in keep the starter battery charged. I guess its a case of turning the engine over weekly.
isladeiona
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby duvet » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:39 pm

its not twin battery then?
ex-network rail 2007 mk7 100 LWB 350 8 seat.

buses stop at bus stations, trains stop at train stations....... on my desk i've got a workstation
duvet
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Force » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:00 pm

As has been mentioned, starter battery is faulty. I had to replace the starter battery on my motorhome this year, I leave my camper for 2-3 weeks and it starts 1st time. I have been using a solar charger recently and had no problems. Good luck.
Force
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Um3ir » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:18 pm

If any one need new battery go to www. Battery megastore.co.uk they are good in price
I don't have any motorhome but I think when you have old battery then automatically flared due to following reason
1 cold temperature
2 gravity
Its better you use battery charger to charge them on weekly basis rather than starting for a bit.
Battery need time to charge completely after battery is been fully charged it need tickle charging to keep it's life healthy
Um3ir
Um3ir

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions