*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

HELP! Big ploom of Grey Smoke

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

HELP! Big ploom of Grey Smoke

Postby transithicube » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:55 am

Hi All,

I need HELP! Tried starting her this morning and engine on standstill would run but really jittery with little or no throttle action but a massive ploom of grey smoke. Can any tell me whats going on? i cant believe this as this van was running fine 2wks ago. Any good advice would be really appreciated right now.

Thanks
transithicube
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: HELP! Big ploom of Grey Smoke

Postby transithicube » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi

I have had no replies yet but i was thinking could Glow plugs cause this sort of problem? like if a glow fails or something?

thanks
transithicube
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby transithicube » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi

I will give you all a giggle i have no Ego..........i have been driving my wifes car all week hers is a PETROL BMW..............guess what ive done?

Complete Vegetable but so easily done.................Also No drain Plug for the Petrol Tank. Ive done a maybe 5-6 miles in it. Would there be any damage to the engine? I am going to syphon it of and fill up the tank, hopefully it should be ok. Let me know your thoughts peeps.

Thanks
transithicube
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:33 pm

Drain it and fill it with diesel, and you should be fine
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby transithicube » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:50 pm

Hey

Thanks Ake,

thanks
transithicube
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Rosso » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:44 pm

I did this a while back... I didn't drain it... I just pumped it to the brim with power diesel and kept it topped up, fortunately 20k later still fine. :D
Rosso
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby transithicube » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:10 am

Hey Thanks,

I only put in a tenner but it was on empty, so think im going to change the fuel filter, drain it and and top it up again to be safe. Just glad its my stupidity rather than a new engine so im happy its something simple.

Thanks Rosso.
transithicube
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mr RVM » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:26 am

transithicube wrote:Hey Thanks,

I only put in a tenner but it was on empty, so think im going to change the fuel filter, drain it and and top it up again to be safe. Just glad its my stupidity rather than a new engine so im happy its something simple.

Thanks Rosso.

stick £40/£50 worth of diesel on top of that and a good glug of 2 stroke and it'll be fine (Mercedes used to recommend upto 20% petrol in diesel during the winter :) and that was still stated in their owners handbooks in 1992, and I was sticking a gallon of petrol in with every £50 of diesel into my 2001 VW T4 taxi from almost new and it ran perfect till I sold it with 360k on it :wink: ) drain the filter by all means but probably no need to change it just because of whats happened :!:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby transithicube » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:58 am

Hey

Thanks for that info Restorvanman thats great News. Funny cause i have been putting in 2 stroke when i fill up with 30 or so quid. Think i will do that. Its just wont drive at the mo to jittery, so i will get a couple of tanks of fuel and try it out then get to the station and put more in. Thats Great News! I really dig this van and keeping it until i pass from this earth. I am restoring it slowly. I got a bit more welding to do but a few people have said its one of the best they've seen in regards the nick its in.

Thanks again!
transithicube
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby transithicube » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Hey,

Upadate shes back to her sweet self Now after 20.00 of the diesel....the correct fuel even less smokey! but she is now Purring like a cat....well a cat with a sore throat! anyway thanks to those of you that replied.

Peace
transithicube
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions