*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk 7 rwd 6 speed gearbox oil leak

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

mk 7 rwd 6 speed gearbox oil leak

Postby pjjohnthomas » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Hello boys.
Ford transit 140 p/s rwd 6 speed 57 plate.
I have just had a service on my transit, and the garage said they had to put nearly a litre of oil in the gearbox.
I did notice a very slight whine when i took it in but filling up the gearbox fixed the problem.
50 miles later i noticed most of the oil came back out, 100 miles later it started to whine again.
I topped up the oil with a small amount of oil to get back to the garage, they thought the first motion shaft seal had gone but after removing the gearbox the bell housing and clutch is dry as a bone.
The oil seems to be coming from the top of the gearbox and running down around the bell housing area.
The only thing there is the breather tube......
My question is have anyone experienced this problem before and have any idea how to fix this problem.
pjjohnthomas

pjjohnthomas

Re: mk 7 rwd 6 speed gearbox oil leak

Postby pjjohnthomas » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:59 pm

Fault diagnosed!!!!!!!
They have since found out that the gearbox was overfilled with the wrong oil, and was being forced out of the breather tube.
Silly mechanic filled up the gearbox to the filler plug level which in turn holds 5 litres of oil when it should hold 2.2 litres being a 140 p\s.
Still unsure if there is a level indicator plug on the gearbox, we just measured the right amount of oil.
If anyone has sure knowledge of a level indicator plug please post here for future reference.
pjjohnthomas

Re: mk 7 rwd 6 speed gearbox oil leak

Postby 75psT330lwb » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:40 pm

well done for posting back with a solution :)
Moondust Silver 125 TDCiT260. Lots of toys (The Flying Machine!)
75psT330lwb
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Technical Problems & Questions