*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Discussion on Clone VCM 2 device issues + defects

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Discussion on Clone VCM 2 device issues + defects

Postby pp5858 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:28 am

Hi,

There has been good discussion around on this e.g. on MK6&MK7 area but I would like to gather here on this one chain the issues around these devices.

I would like you to state
-what is the exact device you are talking about my device:
-where did you buy your device purchased from here:
-when purchased:
-when did you notice the defect (immediately~DOA, after some time, but it was probably there from the beginning, worked fine and then broke down) when noticed issues:
-what is the defect and the symptoms symptoms:
-What are the measures you have done to have it working, fixes or workarounds workaround:
-What have you done as corrective actions corrective actions:
-free word of other things around this other:

The purpose of this thread is to gather information how wide the issues are, is there any common factor, possible solutions to correct the issues and so on. If you have had multiple devices, please write one post / device to keep it clear.

Try to keep the discussions on the hw devices, but also if it e.g. behaves so that working laptop and ICS halts and jams, you can report also those.

I will modify this beginning post when needed.
Last edited by pp5858 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
pp5858
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Discussion on Clone VCM 2 device issues + defects

Postby pp5858 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:34 am

my device: Best Quality VCM II V86 OEM OBD2 Diagnostic Tool for Ford VCM 2 IDS Support Key Programming and Multi-langauge, looks like this http://www.obdtool.co.uk/upload/pro/bes ... i-1-11.jpg
purchased from here: http://www.obdtool.co.uk/wholesale/best ... -tool.html
when purchased: October 2014
when noticed issues: Some months after purchase when I started doing modifications (it probably was there from the begining~DOA)
symptoms: Once connected to laptop + odbc socket, the device shuts itself off. All lights go out and it disconnects from laptop. Can happen multiple times in a row like ~40 times within evening. When it does not do this it works fine. In a cold Finnish weather <0C it happened often. When the device warmed up on use + on top of my leg, it started working better with less disconnects.
workaround: Plug off from the red device, both the usb cable and odbc cable and then plug them in again after 1s.
corrective actions: contacted odbctool via email 31:st April
other: Sometimes my Win XP laptop completely freezes when I enter on some programming areas. To me it feels like there would come something via usb line to laptop as my laptop doesn't normally do anything like that. Not 100% sure about this though. When the device is working, It has no issues.
pp5858
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby pp5858 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:19 am

I received 4 capasitors (3 spares) from Odbtool + instructions on changing the capasitor on the device. And yes, with an initial 45min testing I managed to do pump + injection learn without any issues. I tested just before changing the capacitor that the issue came easily on so at least with initial testing it seems that this fixed that issue completely. Although by entering in the end one certain menu it freezed the laptop, but I can't be sure if this is related at all. I will post later instructions on changing this if someone else needs it.
pp5858
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby lami » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:29 am

Yea, lets see what you have done, im sure it will help a lot of people with broken VCMs

Oh, and lets have some pics :)
lami
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:40 am

This sounds promising, pics please :-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby sil15a » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Yes please post up some more info/pics
also include email correspondence from supplier with instructions.

What are the specifications of the capacitors and details of the repair.

I also remember reading that you can use a pocket PC or PDA to repair the VCM2 when it becomes non responsive if it is locked out by connecting ford IDS to the internet or if it becomes frozen when trying to preform and update.
sil15a
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby pp5858 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:05 am

Sorry for long delay.

So the only info I got was "That because the electric capacity is damaged" and then this picture. I received 4 small smd capacitors and changed the one in the picture.
I haven't managed to measure yet that it is 10uF capacitor as stated in the picture but it could be.

I didn't recognize the difference of my device is it A or B but the place was the same. At least so far it has worked well. Hope this helps, I will try to test more / verify the capacitors in time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pp5858
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:11 pm

Pic is too small, you sure it's a cap? Looks like a resistor to me? Was yours fried?
More info please:-)
My ids is a bit different, the blue plug on yours looks better than mine, mine is red and stuck on with hot glue :-(
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby pp5858 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:58 pm

You are able to zoom that to quite close, would be hard to get even myself picture closer than that. I think it can be seen even from that that it is Cap and not resistor (color).

I could not see the original would have been fried. It looked exactly like that and it was correctly on its pad. I just removed and installed the spare part there. I thought that probably it was not actually broken, it just was installed as wrong size in a first place, probably the original was much smaller cap and it wasn't enough and now this new is enough to protect other circuits.

loot, that is not an picture of mine, it was the one I got from the store. But mine was exactly like yours, the power plug was red and with hot glue also. So if your symptoms on yours is exactly the same as mine, I'm 99.5% sure that replacing that cap will fix it. I didn't take picture of mine and don't have it handy atm.

If you need I can post the one of the caps you Monday if you pm. me your address.
pp5858
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby sil15a » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:02 pm

Thanks for the share!

Yeah that's a Capacitor (surface mount) number C30 on the PCB.
its rare that these caps let go unless the is an initial design fault.

Can you comment if it fixed the power problem?
sounds like the power problem could be related to the power coming from the USB supply.
some computers USB driver chip can supply 1.8A of current while other can supply 5A of current, depends on how old the computer or laptop is.
Also I have had problems with other USB devices which have long cables (3m) or longer. the issue was that the conducting wires inside of the cables is very thin and poor quality. this cause inductance in the cable and will disconnect or cut out the power going to the device.
I would recommend to try other laptops or computer and also shorter or better quality USB cable if you are still having problems :)
Another trick is to run the USB cable going to the VCM through a USB hub which has an external plug pack which can inject more 5V power into the USB
If the Chinese copy the VCM2 circuit incorrectly which demands more power than the USB can supply you will get a power cutting out fault as you have described.
The capacitor that they have supplied you could be a different value capacitor that the one you have removed, (test the capacitance with a multimeter) hence they are trying to correct the power supply issues on the PCB to draw less USB power.
sil15a
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:45 pm

OK thanks, I'm going to open mine up in a minute and have a look :-)
I did post pics on here a while ago but doubt I'll find them lol

I hope this I'd a fix for all of us, i need to re read your symptoms, my vcm originally worked flawless for a good amount of time but then all comms stops and i just have the power led on the vcm lit, I'm sure my laptop still recognises the vcm in network connections tho but whatever is meant to connect the vcm to the van won't switch.
Fingers crossed lol, might take you up on that kind offer of a cap.

Reason i say pic is small is because on my phone the attachment pics on the forum are very small and you can't zoom in :-(
I'll take a pic of mine up close and post it here and you can see if it is the same if you would :-)
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby loot » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:52 pm

That's not a knife.....
This is a knife! :o

Yes i see now, mine looks physically OK, but as you say, best change it eh :-) sending pm............ Now :mrgreen:
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby pp5858 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:28 pm

Yes, that what you are pointing. Mine looked exactly the same before removing. I'm not sure if I stored the old cap or not. Damn.

I now realized that I would actually have one capacity meter of my own and I even know now where it is. But 250km away atm. :o

It's not meant for surface mount caps but I probably could solder small cables and measure out the new and the old (if I'm able to find it). That would bring some more light.
pp5858
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:36 pm

OK just to clarify, reading your issues at power off, did you still have the power led lit on the vcm when it died? That is what mine do, or did you have no lights at all on yours?
Thanks.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby wexican » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Just to jump in, yesterday I received my VCM ii,

http://www.obdtool.co.uk/wholesale/best ... -tool.html

The laptop doesnt seem to recognise it. I'm using windows 7 ultimate.

Should it show up as a device when plugged in to USB?

I have the IDS on screen, but can't connect the vehicle or the VCM.
I would be my luck to have bought a duff one!
wexican
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions