*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 Aircon Non-Schrader Charging Ports replacement

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk5 Aircon Non-Schrader Charging Ports replacement

Postby whitegold » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:06 pm

Mk 5 Transit 1999 AirCon Refrigerant Service Ports ***NB These are NOT Schrader Valves***
There's a distinct lack of online information about replacing the ball/spring refrigerant charging ports used by Fords of this period.
Even in expert forums in the USA, postings asking about leaking FORD high side/low side ports are often answered with advice to "just change the schrader valve". Having had a good look at the ports themselves while the pipework was off the vehicle, I'd originally decided that these were best left alone, and would probably seal OK with the caps on, since there is design information that states that whatever slight leakage from this ball/spring valve will be completely eliminated by the final cap. I'm now of a mind to change them after all, at the next opportunity.

I've had a look at the available online parts breakdown for this vintage of Aircon and there's no clear Ford part number. There's a few sources that list the following OEM replacements namely:
High side service port R134a M12x1.5 Ford/GM/Chrysler FJC2610
Low Side service port R134a M10x1.25 Ford/Jaguar FJC2608
These are also in the Four Seasons catalogue.
It would also seem that this port design is shared in focus/mondeo/etc of this vintage, but there's a shortage of online info to identify the exact item (or any source of replacements).

Is anyone prepared to share direct experience of replacing these ports? (I don't fancy trying to source new "old stock" replacement pipes so I think the best plan is to renew the ports)

Thanks for any info, and apologies for the lengthy post.
whitegold
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Mk5 Aircon Non-Schrader Charging Ports replacement

Postby whitegold » Thu May 19, 2016 8:38 pm

Restarting for the 2016 camping season, and the Aircon has lost much of its charge over the winter, due to the leaky service ports.
Have sourced the low side port from UK, FJC 2558 is a kit with both port and cap costing just over £3.
The High side port however, has had to come from the USA, since nobody in UK seems to acknowledge that they are even replaceable. That's ended up costing nearly £10, the difference due mostly to shipping costs. Dorman part 800-955 has the correct M12 x 1.5mm fit for Ford/GM/Chrysler High side, available from Amazon USA.

Having extracted the old ports from the pipework, I think it would be quite hard to shift them without the correct fancy sockets. Using traditional loosening methods such as heat, or shocking the seating between 2 hammers would likely spell disaster for aluminium threads.

For reference the unique 8 sided sockets which fit these OE service ports are available from the Mastercool catalogue as follows:
98134: R134a Low Side Octagon Socket
98234: R134a High Side Octagon Socket
whitegold
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Mk5 Aircon Non-Schrader Charging Ports replacement

Postby derv23 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Hmm interesting thread.
I don't suppose your going to do a write up on how to replace them , with pictures are you ? :mrgreen:
MK5 Tourneo.
derv23
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Technical Problems & Questions