*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Key chip question

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Key chip question

Postby Wadey » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:23 pm

This is a bit of a random questionbut can a chip in a key be programed to more than one vehicle ?
The reason I ask is iv brought a focus estate with no keys iv got the barrel out can turn the ignition on but can't get it to turn over or start because of the imobiliser i don't want to waste money on it if the engines knackered . If I can use ids to program the chip in my key to the car just to prove the engine is good then I'll spend the money on it any ideas please?
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Key chip question

Postby Mr RVM » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Wadey wrote:This is a bit of a random questionbut can a chip in a key be programed to more than one vehicle ?
The reason I ask is iv brought a focus estate with no keys iv got the barrel out can turn the ignition on but can't get it to turn over or start because of the imobiliser i don't want to waste money on it if the engines knackered . If I can use ids to program the chip in my key to the car just to prove the engine is good then I'll spend the money on it any ideas please?

New blanks with a chip are only £7.50 :!:

Edit... and less :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-Ford-Fie ... 27cff4403d
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Wadey » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:33 pm

I'm too impatient to wait for that to be delivered and I only want prove it's worth spending money on if not I'll scrap it
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:54 pm

Yes

The chip itself its not programmable. You program the vehicle to accept the chip so multiple vehicles can be programmed to accept 1 chip.
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Wadey » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:39 pm

Ideal that's what I was hoping I thought I'd make sure before having to re program my van again I don't suppose you know if the imobiliser would cut cranking it's a 1800 tdi mk1 focus I think it's the same as the connect??
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:30 am

Yes immobiliser prevents cranking
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Wadey » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Thanks someones given me an old key so ill program that
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Wadey » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:09 pm

Got It running fine only problem Iv got now is i cleared All the previous keys first then had to program 2 keys before it would work so I used my spare
I'm either very unlucky or you can't actualy program a chip to 2 different vehicles as the spare won't start my van ! I'll re program that tomorrow now
Thanks for your help guys I'll get a lock set and flog it on
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jim Archer » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Did the spare key start the van before?

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Wadey » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:32 pm

Yep it throws a right wobbly now if I try to start it Iv got to wait a few mins for it to calm down before using my normal key
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Technical Problems & Questions