*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit mk7 conversion using mk6 inner wings

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit mk7 conversion using mk6 inner wings

Postby johnson07930 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:46 pm

hi all just a quick one for all those who have been hopelessly searching for a how to
On the mk7 front end conversion using mk6 inner wing rails instead of changing them
I searched for hours and hours and came up with no info on how to do this what so ever.
But for any1 who wants to do this it is really simple and the whole conversion only took me 4hrs to complete once the old front was off
If some 1 can explain to me how to upload pics I will as its not very often I'm online

But basically you have to cut away about 5 inches off the front top section of inner wings fabricate a bracket to weld or bolt onto the end of the inner wing then drill a hole the other end about 13mm so you have a bit of movement for lining things up then bolt the headlight bucket to the bracket that's the front bit sorted
The bit I was dreading was the bonnet hinges but fear not bit tricky to follow without pics but as I said I will try and upload them
Basically you need to start by looking near the top of the inner wing as you follow it down you will see a large hump in the metal followed by a small slot and then a square hole with a bolt fastening clip inside
What you need to do here is remove the clip
Take a nice flat lump hammer and give the hump a few light taps it doesn't take much to knock it some what flat once you have got them down you can then take a bolt put it through the front hole of the hinge and bolt it in
Now before you get carried away and drill the rear hole you must first fit the bonnet to line it all up and then mark the rear hole with s marker pen then drill this through once you have done this you will be thinking well how the Fu** am I going to bolt that in there it's all closed in with no access for a nut
Well I thought long and hard about this and there are lots of ways this can be done but I have decided to go for anchor bolts 10mm ones basically you drill a 13mm hole and then slide the anchor bolt in as you tighten it there are 2 sprung arm on the thread that open out and once they make contact with the under side of the inner wing inside what I can only describe as box section they lock of nicely and pull the rear of the bonnet down snug and it all lines up quite nicely my drivers side still sat a little proud of the wing after this but once I lifted the bonnet and gave the hinge another couple of whacks down its now sat perfect and opens and closes well
This saved me £77 for inner wings and 3 months back order waiting time according to all local fords in my Birmingham area
You could obviously do this a lot neater than mine if your fussy but at the end of the day it all still bolts on and off and the only place you can tell is where the headlight buckets bolt on if you made some nice looking factory brackets I don't think any1 would tell and once the bonnet is down you Carnt tell any difference
johnson07930
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Transit mk7 conversion using mk6 inner wings

Postby Wadey » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:43 am

Easiest way to upload photos is photo bucket
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Brains_transit » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:50 am

I would just cut the inners of a mk7 at the breakers £10 a side as mk6 are usually rotten
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby johnson07930 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks will try and upload some shortly

As for the breakers yard my local transit centre wanted £70 a side and I had to remove them myself as my mk6 ones were in good condition I decided it was going to be much easier and cheaper just to give it a go and if it failed to bite the bullet and buy the second hand inner wings
As it goes it was really easy and didn't take long at all
It's just for people in my position when they Carnt get hold of any inner mk7 wings and they are itching to get there front end on like I was, that it can be done as no1 else has given info on doing it this way before
johnson07930
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnson07930 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:16 am

As you can see by this pic the hump on the left nearest the edge of the scuttle needs hammering down
And then the 2 holes at the front hump need chopping off about an inch further back towards the scuttle from the holes
johnson07930
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnson07930 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:31 am

johnson07930
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnson07930 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:34 am

That's how flat you can get the rear hump for the bonnet hinges to sit nice and flush
Will take some pictures with the rear holes drilled and bolted later as I didn't have my phone on me yesterday but once those make shift brackets are trimmed and seam sealed and painted will look the part
johnson07930
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnson07930 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:38 am

Oh and the centre bolt for the wing sits an inch higher than the inner wing so my solution to this is to cut a piece of copper or steel tube to place under the wing and I will use more of the butterfly bolts
Proper name (toggle bolts) but no one seems to no what your talking about when you ask for the correct name
johnson07930
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnson07930 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:41 am

These are the bolts generally used to hang radiators and shelves on studded walls
But in this case seem to work perfectly
johnson07930
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Punto443 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:10 pm

Your local dealers talking sh*t! I can get the inner panels from my dealer in 2days. The inner wings only need the top reinforcer part changed and there about £20 aside new and the scuttle is only £20 odd.

Without using the scuttle how do you properly duct fresh air into the cab, as the mk6 is now under the bonnet line and can draw any fumes straight in?
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby johnson07930 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:21 pm

I haven't finished yet mate I have the mk7 scuttle to do
But the main part being the front end is fitted
Bristol street ford Birmingham and West Bromwich have a 3 month waiting list for the top section of inner wing as there is a problem with the sapplyers or some sh**
And as for second hand ones at £70 each when there cheaper from the dealers why bother at least the way it's done if I ever wanted to change them for mk7 ones I can as everything is still bolt off
But seing as it doesn't look that bad why bother as long as the scuttle is done it's absolutely fine
some people will slag my method and some will praise me for the how to at the end of the day it's saved me money and time and from the outside it looks no different to any other mk7 conversion
It just shows an alternative way to do it without drilling out welded on parts and welding new ones on
giving those who Carnt weld and want to do a diy conversion there selfs without having to pay some1 to do it for them like most do
johnson07930
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Punto443 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:13 am

Hey, if your happy, then I'm no gonna knock you :D
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby johnson07930 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:19 am

Not having a knock at you Punto you make a valid point they are usually easy to get hold of but as soon as I want to do my own shi* it never goes according to plan
so thought I should let people know how it went
johnson07930
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby paul2012 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:28 pm

:shock: :roll: .......................................................................
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby paul2012 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:31 pm

If anyone is planning to do a mk6 to mk7 front end conversion.

Then follow thread here :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=150664.

There you will find all details including parts list etc etc.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions