*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit 56 plate, intermittent cutting out and power lack

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit 56 plate, intermittent cutting out and power lack

Postby Bikerrob » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:36 pm

Hi guys, this is my first post and I'm hoping someone can help. I have a 56 plate mk7 SWB T280. About a month ago the turbo blew. I managed to stall it to save the runaway engine. New turbo installed, cleaned out the intercooler and pipe work etc. New oil and filters, ran really well for about a week.

Then very occasionally when say coasting towards a junction it would cut out, on the digital dash where the miles left in a tank would go to a row of dashed lines. It would start straight away again and drive on no problem. At one point for a few days it was doing this at every junction. Then it started to improve all on its own. It went from stalling 90% of the time to stalling say 10% of the time. Whilst this problem improved another problem started. Every now and again it would just lack power, struggle to get any revs up at all. On the motorway you'd be lucky to get 50mph in 5th gear. Then all of a sudden it would run really sweet again. Flying along at 80 odd no problem. I'm not sure these problems are related at all, but both have occurred after the turbo blowing.

Up to now I have changed the EGR valve, cleaned the mass air sensor and changed the clutch switch. Putting the new EGR valve on made the eml come on. I'm waiting on a diagnostic to plug in to see if shows any faults up.
Any information I would be very greatful, thankyou in advance.
Bikerrob

Re: Transit 56 plate, intermittent cutting out and power lac

Postby knobby1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:34 am

FWD or RWD? Methinks your front battery is duff, (if it has twin batteries of course), the front one is usually the one which dies first. Does really strange things in a Mk7. The - - - - lines in the LCD screen of the dash is the common thing with a duff battery.

Best to get your battery/batteries properly drop/load tested to make sure. If they're the original batteries, they're probably well past their use by date..!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Bikerrob » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:27 am

Thanks for the reply knobby1,

It's a front wheel drive, I forgot to add I replaced the battery a few months back, before the turbo went. I only have the one battery under the seat. The problem does feel and electrical one but it's very intermittent.
Bikerrob

Postby knobby1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:06 pm

Bikerrob wrote:Thanks for the reply knobby1,

It's a front wheel drive, I forgot to add I replaced the battery a few months back, before the turbo went. I only have the one battery under the seat. The problem does feel and electrical one but it's very intermittent.

Ah....well, how about a duff ignition switch? They're a fairly common problem.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Bikerrob » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:29 pm

Ok so got hold of a OBD2 fault code reader

EGR valve? Even though mine is new. Could the steel pipe connecting to the manifold be clogged up restricting flow? Anyone had this before causing similar symptoms?

Appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bikerrob

Postby Brains_transit » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:06 pm

Ideally you need ids as not all code readers work, egr is the most common fault picked up with a code reader but it won't be picked up with ids unless it's faulty
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby samwhich » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:24 pm

Read a similar issue recently on this forum with the solution being a replacement air filter. Maybe when your turbo blew, oil and other contaminants got sucked into the filter causing blockages/poor air flow?

Also not sure about that scan tool you're using their...check out the ELM327 Bluetooth dongle scan tools combined with the free (Windows/Android based) Forscan software for a really good DIY diagnostic system! Has saved me thousands! ;)
2005 VH Ford Transit 2.4 TDi
Durashit Transmission
samwhich
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Looks like the egr or wiring to it is faulty.

Your tool is showing 4 codes do you have the other 2?
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Bikerrob » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Thankyou guys, firstly the air filter was changed with everything else after the turbo blew.

It has started running a lot better, hardly ever has the loss of power issue, and only stalls very occasionally.

I've just had a mate come down from the Orkneys who kindly brought his ford diagnostic kit with him that gave a lot more info. I replaced the EGR valve but as you saw from the previous posts was showing on the diagnostic. His system has indeed identified the wiring to the EGR has a fault to ground. Has anyone had this same issue? Give me a starting point to look for?

The hunting issue that it appears most of us have is happening also, is this always cured by doing the PCM update? Or could it be something else?

Thanks guys
Bikerrob

Postby knobby1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:16 am

Bikerrob wrote:The hunting issue that it appears most of us have is happening also, is this always cured by doing the PCM update? Or could it be something else? Thanks guys

Hunting is almost always the SCV & PRV....replacing them and doing all the learns usually fixes it. PCM update can help if it hasn't been done recently....Poorly injectors can cause grief too, best to do a leak-off test on them to see if there's an issue there. How many miles has your beast done??

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Bikerrob » Mon May 02, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks for that, 150k
Bikerrob

Return to Technical Problems & Questions