*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Intermittent Loss of power

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Intermittent Loss of power

Postby neilosTransit » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:29 pm

My 2007 Ford Transit Van recently suffered from intermittent loss of power. The garage I took it to hooked up their machine, they could find no fault. Days later the van lost complete power on a roundabout. The engine cut out but restarted quickly and drove home with full power. I returned and asked the garage to road test the van once warmed up. The van lost power for the mechanic on several occasions. Their diagnosis went from possible EGR valve to fuel injectors failing to finally an air leak in the fuel filter housing which was eventually changed. I was told the van had been road tested on various long journey and it now was running great.
A week later I have completed several 25 mile journeys and experienced loss of power but not as bad as before the fuel filter housing was replaced. In 3rd gear I was not able get above 30MPH for a very short period of time. The engine recovered and was able to reach 70 MPH and felt fine. The recent loss of power has always happened at speeds around 30 -40MPH. It feels like some sort of blockage that clears itself.
Any thoughts would be most welcome. thanks for looking.
neilosTransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Intermittent Loss of power

Postby knobby1 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:38 pm

Depends on what diag machine was used...some of them only scratch the surface, IDS is the only surefire way of getting right down into the bowels of the DTC's. If your EGR, injectors, SCV, PRV, pump etc.. were playing up, there would probably be a fault codes stored, there can be a lot of "pending" fault codes stored but still not make the dash DTC light come on.

Best to find someone with IDS to diagnose your issue, there's a few on here who have it, depending on where you are, we might be able to find someone close. Normal cost is a packet of biscuits and a nice cup of tea..!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby neilosTransit » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:12 am

I was told their standard diagnostic tool was used at first, followed by a laptop which gave a more in depth report.
neilosTransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:36 am

neilosTransit wrote:I was told their standard diagnostic tool was used at first, followed by a laptop which gave a more in depth report.

Still doesn't tell us exactly what was used :? The Ford IDS system is the best for this sort of thing. Not only does it tell you exactly what the fault code is, it even gives a short explanation of the fault and possible cause/things to check.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby neilosTransit » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:36 pm

Can i assume that because of new engine technology engine faults can now only be diagnosed using tools such as IDS. Are the days of a mechanic listening to the engine, driving the van etc and then making a diagnosis over? This is a genuine question. I was brought up on what is probably old school techniques, such as checking the injectors manually to check fuel flow etc.
I live in Warwickshire and would be happy to supply biscuits or beer to someone localish with an IDS tool. I also work in Solihull, West Mids.
Thanks for advice so far which has enlightened me.
neilosTransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:25 pm

neilosTransit wrote:Can i assume that because of new engine technology engine faults can now only be diagnosed using tools such as IDS. Are the days of a mechanic listening to the engine, driving the van etc and then making a diagnosis over? This is a genuine question. I was brought up on what is probably old school techniques, such as checking the injectors manually to check fuel flow etc.
I live in Warwickshire and would be happy to supply biscuits or beer to someone localish with an IDS tool. I also work in Solihull, West Mids.

Yes, old school mechanics cannot diagnose a fault by listening to it, some of them try by guessing and throwing parts at it, but that's an expensive way to fix something
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:53 am

What Ake said...Some faults don't even give symptoms...for example...if your engine cuts out for no apparent reason and will not restart, it's kinda hard to listen to nothing..! Plugging it into IDS to see if there are any fault codes will at least point you in the right direction, otherwise it's an expensive guessing game....throwing parts at something until it's fixed isn't really the way to go and can be awfully expensive.

Up to ~the late 1980's you could just about get away with "old school" diagnostic techniques...unfortunately those days are long gone..!

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Dezzy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:05 pm

I was just wandering if you managed to sort this intermittent power loss problem,I have by the sounds of it the same problem.i took my van to a garage up the road last week to be plugged in and checked,didn't hear from them for a few days so thought I better ring them!,turns out they done the work anyway replaced injectors and EGR valve costing nearly £600.drove it ten miles down the road same problem so I took it back...now they think it's ECU problem another £120 for it to be checked,any help would be appreciated.cheers
Dezzy

Postby jamesallen3333 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:40 pm

Hi Guys,

As the last post in here is over 2 months old I guess there's not much chance of a quick response.

I have this same problem in my 2002 mk4 Transit MWB. It was intermittent so it's hard to find the cause of the problem. But is has increased in frequency now and I really need to get it sorted out.

At first the van would loose power at about 2000rpm and not rev any higher a little bit like a limp mode, but it would kick back in again and then drive fine again.
More recently it is loosing power at low revs when i'm putting my foot down on the accelerator there is just no power, and sometimes the engine cuts out. If I restart the engine again it will drive fine again until it looses power again.
I have recently had the EGR renewed and have even tried a new accelerator pedal but neither have cured this fault.

There are no fault codes coming up on bosch, snapon diagnostics etc.

My next step is to go to the stealership to see if they can get a code out of it.

Any help or replies from the guys above would be greatly appreciated. I need my van for work as i'm self employed. HELP
James Transit 2002 Transit 350 LWB High Top
jamesallen3333
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:25 pm

jamesallen3333 wrote:Hi Guys,

As the last post in here is over 2 months old I guess there's not much chance of a quick response.

I have this same problem in my 2002 mk4 Transit MWB. It was intermittent so it's hard to find the cause of the problem. But is has increased in frequency now and I really need to get it sorted out.

At first the van would loose power at about 2000rpm and not rev any higher a little bit like a limp mode, but it would kick back in again and then drive fine again.
More recently it is loosing power at low revs when i'm putting my foot down on the accelerator there is just no power, and sometimes the engine cuts out. If I restart the engine again it will drive fine again until it looses power again.
I have recently had the EGR renewed and have even tried a new accelerator pedal but neither have cured this fault.

There are no fault codes coming up on bosch, snapon diagnostics etc.

My next step is to go to the stealership to see if they can get a code out of it.

Any help or replies from the guys above would be greatly appreciated. I need my van for work as i'm self employed. HELP

If your van is a 2002 model it'll be a Mk6, (2000-2006) not a Mk4 which is 1991-1994.....Mk6 & Mk7 are miles away from each other electronics wise and what causes one to fail may not be the same as the other. As you mention, best to get codes read using IDS at Ford to get the best info.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Chrissyb143 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Hi guys

Just wondering if the issue has been sorted now as I'm having the same issue with my mk7 ex rac transit, just had a service and still the same and it did not have any issues when the garage had it for a week it drove faultless until i got it back. Not sure what code reader he was using but he's an old friend with a good reputation hence the reason I sent it to him so I know he's not having me over.

Cheers
Chris
Chrissyb143

Postby ake » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Chrissyb143 wrote:Hi guys

Just wondering if the issue has been sorted now as I'm having the same issue with my mk7 ex rac transit, just had a service and still the same and it did not have any issues when the garage had it for a week it drove faultless until i got it back. Not sure what code reader he was using but he's an old friend with a good reputation hence the reason I sent it to him so I know he's not having me over.

Cheers
Chris

What are the symptoms?
What codes did they get?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby OL1V3RS » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi I've got a 2.2 sport fwd. recently had new bottom end, as pistern no.3 had hole in it. £3056 later can still won't run correct. New: turbo, 4x injectors, clutch, DMF, starter, filter, housing. When I get above 3.500 rpm van goes into limp mode.
Diagnostics, on snap-on say imbalance in cylinder.???
Had a code pcm relay enigised to early?? Diesel pump has 2 lots of wires, green and orange. Disconnected orange wire van no longer goes to limp mode. However, have lost power of around 20mph top end and revs on counter ain't as quick. Van before problems used to wheel spin in 2nd now it doesn't do it in 1st???
Help please don't know how much more money I can throw at it
OL1V3RS

Postby andz327 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:23 pm

neilosTransit wrote:Can i assume that because of new engine technology engine faults can now only be diagnosed using tools such as IDS. Are the days of a mechanic listening to the engine, driving the van etc and then making a diagnosis over? This is a genuine question. I was brought up on what is probably old school techniques, such as checking the injectors manually to check fuel flow etc.

For most things the old fashioned mechanics crypton ear is defunct ( and I've got two of them)
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ake » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:42 pm

OL1V3RS wrote:Hi I've got a 2.2 sport fwd. recently had new bottom end, as pistern no.3 had hole in it. £3056 later can still won't run correct. New: turbo, 4x injectors, clutch, DMF, starter, filter, housing. When I get above 3.500 rpm van goes into limp mode.
Diagnostics, on snap-on say imbalance in cylinder.???
Had a code pcm relay enigised to early?? Diesel pump has 2 lots of wires, green and orange. Disconnected orange wire van no longer goes to limp mode. However, have lost power of around 20mph top end and revs on counter ain't as quick. Van before problems used to wheel spin in 2nd now it doesn't do it in 1st???
Help please don't know how much more money I can throw at it

Probably needs the usual, prv, scv and recalibrated using Ford ids
ake
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions