*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bosch pump interchangeability .

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Bosch pump interchangeability .

Postby Uncle Buncle » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:50 pm

Hello . Does anyone know for sure if all the Bosch injector pumps should do the job ok in my 2.5di non turbo engine . Specifically , I've replaced the original (serial number ending 145) with an older one - serial number ending 083 , and it idles great but won't rev properly .
Thanks, David .
Uncle Buncle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Bosch pump interchangeability .

Postby Altransit » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:23 pm

I've moved this to the tech section, as you'll struggle to get technical replies in the welcome section :wink:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Uncle Buncle » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:15 am

Ok , thanks - I may get the hang of it eventually !
David .
Uncle Buncle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Uncle Buncle » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:33 pm

Well I think I can , at least partly , answer my own question -This is about my 1999 2.5di engine Yes , at least the two pumps both seem to work but the engine's still not running at all useably . In fact I've discovered that , having spent hours over the past 3 weeks , taking injector pump off , replacing it , then putting the original back - there is a leak in one of the diesel pipes . I looked , without success , for signs of a cracked pipe , before diagnosing a faulty Bosch injector pump . Then the used , older , replacement still showed no improvement in running the engine . Now I can see a leak but can't get the pipe off , so far . It's the one on the left (as you look into engine bay from the front) going into the back of the fuel filter .I'm going back out now to have another try - the difficulty being visibility and access where it dissapears behind the engine .
Really hoping I can get it done !
David .
Uncle Buncle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:32 pm

I was hoping someone who actually knows would have answered your question, as my knowledge of these is all second hand from reading various posts on here :roll:

The 145 pump that you have, has much improved fuelling over the earlier pumps, and these, and the 146 pump are often sought out by folks needing a manual pump conversion on a turbo engine. It's probably the 'top of the range' when it comes to the VE Bosch units.
If you fit an earlier pump, it will almost certainly, adversely affect the performance that you had with the 145 :wink:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Uncle Buncle » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:52 am

Thanks for that bit of information . I'm now moved away from blaming the pump , having found a secretive crack in the fuel pipe from diesel filter back to tank . Very awkward to remove the whole pipe and also expensive from Ford . Today , having left the pipe in place , I'll be trying to find some means of repairing just the leaking section - which is around a T junction where a fibre-clad rubber pipe from injectors , joins the main plastic pipe . I'm doing all this in little time-slots between work , family life and so on & At the rate I'm going I fully expect to happen upon the Holy Grail before I finish fixing my van !
David .
Uncle Buncle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:29 am

Get some 8mm ID rubber fuel hose, cut out the affected section, slide the rubber hose over (easier said than done, you may need to warm the hose!) And clamp up with some fuel hose jubille type clips...

Or replace the entire hose with one from a scrapper
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Uncle Buncle » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks - that's what I thought but was guessing at the diameter . Slight complication is the fact of the T junction . The auto shop I've just visited had 8mm pipe but not a suitable T - especially since the injector spill pipe is different size . I daresay the breakers may be the best option but have bought a roll of repair tape , allegedly resistant to temp , pressure and everything but Kryptonite , including diesel . So I'll give that a go later - I'm currently sitting g on a School roof with a Hawk , deterring Gulls from crapping on children - which is apparently undesirable !
David .
Uncle Buncle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:21 am

Haha

The T should be brass/ metal so could be resued?

The hose is 8mm id and spill off is 3.2mm id
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Uncle Buncle » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:48 am

Great ! That could be the extra bit of info (which might never have occurred to me )I need for a proper repair . I hadn't realised that the T could be re-useable - I'll pick up some little jubilees on the way home . Thanks again !
David .
Uncle Buncle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby V184 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:44 am

Altransit wrote:I was hoping someone who actually knows would have answered your question, as my knowledge of these is all second hand from reading various posts on here :roll:

The 145 pump that you have, has much improved fuelling over the earlier pumps, and these, and the 146 pump are often sought out by folks needing a manual pump conversion on a turbo engine. It's probably the 'top of the range' when it comes to the VE Bosch units.
If you fit an earlier pump, it will almost certainly, adversely affect the performance that you had with the 145 :wink:

The "Ford Bosch" turbo engine used the earlier pump with the waxstat cable :wink:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Uncle Buncle » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:36 pm

Well I have made positive progress (though mainly in the field of competitive incompetence ) and I'm just going to put back the cam-belt cover , radiator etc. as it seems to be running OK at last ! Luckily the hard-to-find leak which had obviously been sucking air into the fuel system and causing the problem , was actually in the rubber hose from the injectors to pump , and easy to fix . However during the (as it turns out - unnecessary) pump change-over something went wrong with the ignition switch and also pump PATS module and I ended up removing it (much easier than expected) and hot-wiring it . So , to be road-ready , I also need to put a couple of switches in the front .
The fun never starts ... David .
Uncle Buncle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Uncle Buncle » Mon May 02, 2016 12:08 am

Just an update . My van's pretty much ready to roll again now , which is a big relief !
Despite my spending three weeks fixing a problem that should have taken three minutes , I feel proud of myself - having over the years learned to set my personal bar really , really , low ! I've now got approaching MoT to deal with - welding obviously . Thanks to those who offered their knowledge which will always come in useful at some future date .
David .
Uncle Buncle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Uncle Buncle » Wed May 04, 2016 9:09 am

Tragic news ! Having started the van several times and had it running and revving apparently perfectly in the yard over the past couple of days - I had time to take a test drive up the lane . Drove out of the drive ok then , as I started up the hill , grey smoke from exhaust and running deteriorated , with no power . Just managed to get back and it cut out , won't re-start . No sign of fuel leak . I'm bewildered ! I suppose I'll have to go back to basics , check fuel to injectors once the battery's re-charged . Glum ...
David .
Uncle Buncle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Uncle Buncle » Wed May 04, 2016 11:08 am

Ticking over beautifully out in the yard , revving fine when I push the throttle . I've examined everything I can in terms of pipes and pumps in the fuel system , with no sign of leakage . I know if I try to drive it will start to fail . An invisible crack in the fuel pipe (plastic) from lift pump (replaced) to fuel filter could be a possibility , but , not easy to substitute non-Ford pipe due to fitting on filter . I'll have to try breakers again . Close to despair , whilst uplifted , 'cos at least it's running .
David .
Uncle Buncle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions