*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

ASM problems

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

ASM problems

Postby DiveTransit » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:02 am

G'Day from Down under.
I have just purchased a Mk6 Transit.
05/2006
2,4 duratorq
125ps 350
-91000 kms on the clock

It has the dreaded ASM. The van drives fine until it gets about 1 hour into a trip and you stop at traffic lights for more than 1 minute, when you take off(or try to) it will dump the clutch, chirp the tyres and stall. Sometimes, it will shudder the clutch in and out or just rev up then dump the clutch.
There are no other symptoms like warning lights etc present. If you turn the ignition off and re-start, it takes off like a dream. It never has dramas changing up or down gears.

I connected a G scan to it and got the following codes on the ASM:
p0810 Clutch position control error
p0919 Gear shift position control error
P0606 Control module processor
U1900 CAN communication bus fault -receive error B902
P 0944 Hydraulic Pressure unit loss of pressure
P0716 Turbine/Input shaft speed sensor 'A' circuit range/perform
P0812 Reverse Input Circuit

On the powertrain module I had only one fault code:
p1643 CAN link Engine control module/transmission control module.

I cleared the codes and went for a drive, it drove fine for about 5 minutes. The drive was for an hour and returned, there was no fault codes listed anywhere.The problem persisted during that time.
I then used the G scan to complete the following tasks:
- ASM bleed process
- Transmission learn procedure
- Gear shift learn procedure
- clutch friction point learn procedure

This then made the problem a whole lot worse, or lets say more consistent. Now it can be 100% certain that if you idle in gear for more than a minute, especially on a hill, it will stall or at the minimum dump the clutch and make you look like a hoon.
I understand the hefty pricetag that comes with the parts for this and the local ford dealer wanted $300 plus just to read codes, bloody crooks.
There are a few thoughts in my mind.
- Is it the dual mass flywheel putting the system out? (replace?)
- Is it just the ASM control module faulty?
-Do I convert it to full manual? ( garage here wants $4k to do it)
- I am thinking of converting it to full Auto by installing a TH700 box -( probably my favourite idea)
- There is a company that sells bolt in kits to install a 3.8L V6 GM engine and auto here, doing that I could sell my engine and recover the costs almost.
I am extremely technically capable and an electrician by trade. I have a history of difficult conversions and am not afraid of that, but would prefer to keep it standard if possible. This thing is going to be used for doing 3 week long trips into the desert cave diving, where we will do 4000kms easy per trip.. I also need to look at changing the ratios as it does 3300 rm at 110km/hr.

someone please help?
DiveTransit

Re: ASM problems

Postby Frag » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:22 pm

The symptom you described combined with clutch position control error dtc,suggests to me the DMF may have free play in it,
This causes problems for the system determining the biting point,causing a stall,harsh engagement.
(These can be converted to solid flywheel,and Ford do a kit for this.)

There was a problem where the system would act up after a long distance,locking in gear,clutch not disengaging correctly.
Think this was related to the clutch control fluid getting air in system,doing a bleed was supposed to help.

It can be bled using a mityvac,also there is a bleed procedure using diagnostic tool which is internal and involves no opening of bleed nipples.

PS,also the input shaft speed sensor dtc,combined with clutch control fault,along with this fault occurring after a distance / at temp,could mean spigot bearing fault,causing input shaft to still turn while system has clutch fully disengaged.
This will also cause problems,
Really you need to see which codes come back now you've cleared older historic codes.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby DiveTransit » Mon May 02, 2016 5:51 am

Thanks Frag,
I appreciate the advice, that was pretty much the conclusion I had come to.
I use this thing for driving long distances and need reliability and it has the 5.14 ratio diff making the poor engine scream at 110km/hr ( 3300 rpm)
I have sourced a 6 speed, slave cyl, master cyl etc and a 4.2 diff for it, so I will convert it to manual. I believe I only need to now find a 125 ps manual ECU to do this conversion.. anyone got any further advice (I know I need to reprogram the fuel pump and keys)
.. oh and anyone want to sell me a 125ps 2.4 tdi manual ECU.. and.. anyone want an ASM ECU, or actually, an ASM gearbox, ECM or diff, tailshaft etc?
DiveTransit

Postby Frag » Mon May 02, 2016 10:27 am

You don't need to change the PCM,
Simply needs re-flashing with a calibration from a manual 125ps van.
I can pm you a relevant number to do this.

I've converted an asm to manual but 5spd not 6,
I'm sure it will be covered in here somewhere,we only got 6spd behind the 135 tdci,
I thought the 6 speed had a different DMF and tdc sensor amongst other things ?
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Meltransit » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Frag
hi I am mel from the Philippines, I have a 2003 transit with ASM 5 spd, I have converted the shifter and removed the motor for asm , all i need now is to reflash the pcm to make the motor start and rev up , cause I can only start the engine by bypassing the relay for the starter, but after the engine starts i will not rev up when I step on the accelerator pedal,
I do have a ford motorservice account and I know how to reflash the pcm using a J2534 , can you help me out ? I would really apreciate it very much if you could share me what program I can download
hope you can help me out,
my email add mdumalaog@yahoo.com
thanks
Meltransit

Postby Frag » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:11 pm

I have no experience of sorting this with anything other than I.D.S......
The best I can do,is possibly supply you the pcm calibration number of a van the same spec as yours but manual.

If thats any help,let me know what bhp / ps your van is,and confirm if it's hybrid cluster with digital milometer or analogue milometer.

Basically,you just need to reflash your ecu to non-asm manual level,so need a calibration number from a van same ps engine,and the right cluster type for it to work.
The calibration level is on a sticker in the passenger (near side on a RHD) door frame.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Meltransit » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:52 pm

I have 125 ps, with hybrid elec cluster and PATS,
Meltransit

Return to Technical Problems & Questions