*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 Aircon problem

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Air Con Pump 2007 2.2 Transit

Postby tomwrc205 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:18 pm

Dragging up an old thread but I have exactly the same problem...

I have done exactly the same procedures as above and have exactly the same symptoms.

Have done some tests today with air con man and found that the relay in the engine bay for the air con has power but it seems that it uses a switchable Earth to activate the relay to power up the compressor?

Replaced high pressure sensor for known working one. Bridged low pressure sensor
Had all pressures checked and correct amount of gas is in the system
Have had air con working and gets nice and cold if we supply the relay with an earth.

My question is what switches the earth to the relay? Is there an evap thermostat to stop it freezing that is causing my problem? Or another switch that I'm not aware of?

Cheers

Tom
tomwrc205

Postby daipower » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi,
I cant say I am glad to hear you have the same problem but its done my head in a bit. I wonder whether there is any hope on the dirty connector onto the pump itself, and is there some sort of back feed to earth via that or the pump itself. What is your next plan, I wish I could help but have run out of ideas. I even purchased a rad with the twin fans thinking it was that, no joy. I bridged out the relay and it worked fine, is yours the same.
thanks
Dai
daipower
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby tomwrc205 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:58 pm

Yea mine is the same. If I supply an earth to the air con relay in the engine bay all works fine. All pressures are as they should. I just need to know what supplies the earth to the relay. I'm assuming there is a temp sensor or thermostat to stop the system freezing up the evaporator but I can't find anything regarding this?

I just need to find out where the earth supply comes from that switches the pump on and off and I should be on the right track.

Hopefully someone with a bit of knowledge will help :D
tomwrc205

Postby ake » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:52 am

The earthed relay switch wire comes from the engine ecu (PCM), as does the control wire for the fan.

The low pressure switch is also connected to PCM, via two wires, which both have to go to earth to run the AC.

If you want the wiring diagram, then let me know your email address
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby tomwrc205 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:23 am

Pm sent :D

Will post up findings when I get a chance to run through the diagram
tomwrc205

Postby motovanner » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:14 am

Dunno if this helps but on my 2005 van the a/c compressor " cycles " on and off - the air is nicely chilled coming through the vents.
Seems to be quite normal for the compressor to cut in and out as needed - like the fridge at home, - it doesn't run continuously 24/7.
Facebook/All tents Camping Group
motovanner
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daipower » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:56 pm

Has anyone found the solution. Worked on my van today for 2hrs still scratching my head. Bridge out the R10 relay pump works fine, relay is good. Would be eternally grateful for a fix.
thanks
Dai
daipower
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby daipower » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:37 pm

Has anyone found a solution. If I bridge out the relay to the compressor it works fine, the relay is good and has been swapped with several good ones to check just in case. Can anyone offer me a fix please.
thanks
Dai
daipower
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby flashy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:01 am

I have a Ford Transit with the identical problem, its doing my head in! Have you solved your problem your end & can you help me. I've tried everything you have so far! Thanks, Geoff
flashy

Postby daipower » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:03 pm

Geoff,
No I havent, I was hoping to get it sorted on here. I think its a bad earth and the relay voltage is low and dropping out.
Dai
daipower
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby flashy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:54 pm

daipower wrote:yes but it doesnt come back on.

ake wrote:The earthed relay switch wire comes from the engine ecu (PCM), as does the control wire for the fan.

The low pressure switch is also connected to PCM, via two wires, which both have to go to earth to run the AC.

daipower wrote:Geoff,
No I havent, I was hoping to get it sorted on here. I think its a bad earth and the relay voltage is low and dropping out.
Dai

My air con was working fine until the pcm gave out, I had it replaced & that's when my air con problems started. The high pressure switch has four wires going into it only one is showing power is this normal? A copy of wiring diagram would be great.
flashy

Postby daipower » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:03 pm

I dont know, I have the haynes manual here somewhere. Is yours a mk7
daipower
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:52 pm

flashy wrote:
daipower wrote:yes but it doesnt come back on.

ake wrote:The earthed relay switch wire comes from the engine ecu (PCM), as does the control wire for the fan.

daipower wrote:Geoff,
Dai

My air con was working fine until the pcm gave out, I had it replaced & that's when my air con problems started. The high pressure switch has four wires going into it only one is showing power is this normal? A copy of wiring diagram would be great.

Was the new PCM correctly programmed to the vehicle so that it knows it has air con?
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby daipower » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:28 pm

I dont know what a PCM is, I havent changed it. All I have done is had the air con checked and coolant liquid changed, all good. Its just that relay, if i bridge it out the air con comes on.
daipower
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:32 am

As Ake says...if the PCM has been replaced it'll need to be coded in using IDS, otherwise it's an expensive paperweight.

They're basically dumb....and will only do what they're told to do...if they haven't been told they have air-con...they won't know it's there.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions