*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 Aircon problem

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Mk7 Aircon problem

Postby daipower » Mon May 23, 2016 7:44 pm

Thats the box but has two outputs for the fans.
What I would do is this
Bridge out the relay to the compressor and see if your air con kicks in, if so that circuit and wiring is fine.
Take a good look at the front of your van, has it had a bump and they couldnt find the correct parts I wonder.
What size is the fan, I can measure mine to see if it fits into my fan holder, if your van has had a bump on the front you will need to replace the rad, fans and shroud and box.

Is there any way using the ford software you can check what should be on there. I have had my aircon blasting today just for the hell of it, its working great.
Dai
daipower
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Mon May 23, 2016 8:10 pm

What function does the smaller fan on the drivers side have :?: If the passenger side (larger) one does the aircon coolng, does the other one do the engine cooling :?:
I'm pretty sure now, having looked at it carefully, that the fan I have, does both jobs, so maybe it's the higher engine outputs that need the twin fans
My sons' TDCi Focus has the same single fan and controller (same part number too) and his aircon works just fine.

I'll try bridgeing out the relay, but I could feel the contacts opening/closing when I removed and refitted it whilst the engine and aircon was switched on, but I am hoping that the compressor not kicking in is an electrical problem, rather than a knackered unit :)

Thanks for your input :D 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby daipower » Mon May 23, 2016 9:42 pm

Look at the aircon pump to see if you can see the clutch moving in and out on it. There are videos on youtube on how to check.
Dai
daipower
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Mon May 23, 2016 10:55 pm

Yes, the clutch isn't engaging, and pressing on the front pulley when its running and the A/C turned on, just produces a whirring noise, so it may be that the solenoid is not working, or there is no power to the solenoid for whatever reason.
The solenoid seems to be powered directly from the relay R10, but according to the diagram that Loot has sent me, it earths via a "Heater bypass vacuum controlled valve solenoid" and a "maximum cooling mode switch" whatever and wherever those components are :?
If I could get at the (very inaccessible) wiring connector, I could try powering it directly and see if the clutch then engages.

It's fun this investigation lark :P :D
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby loicremy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:59 am

daipower wrote:I have two fans, both spin as soon as i turn on the air con.

Next...

daipower wrote:Lads,
I think I have cracked it. I ........After a while tonight I noticed that only one fan was working which got me wondering if the box could see the voltage from that fan and in turn switch on the air con clutch. I got a battery and connected it direct to the van no joy, fan wasnt working. ......
thanks for the help on here
Dai

Hi,

I have the same problem, but I dont totaly undestand : your fans was running , of not ?

Thank you in advance

Loïc
loicremy

Postby daipower » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:31 am

Hi,
One fan would spin all the time and the other wouldnt kick in at all. What you need to do is look at the fan that doesnt kick in, disconnect the whole plastic housing from the rad, it will come out with a bit of a fiddle. You then have the two fans in the housing in front of you. If you open up the fan that doesnt work and clean the brushes inside and put it back together and refit. You will find that the one fan that used to be on all the time is now off, it will kick in when required, and the second fan will also kick in when required. Whats key is that the van needs to see a signal from the second fan to switch on the aircon pump.
You can test the fan on the bench by putting in two wires from a battery, but make sure your fingers are well clear as they kick in quite hard.
Let us know if it works for you
Dai
daipower
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:17 pm

It needs both fans to come on before pump works, when you switch AC on the pump will come on for a couple of seconds then switch off, sray some Contact cleaner/wd40 in to the inners of the fan that's not working, run earth and live on to it and see if it sparks up into life, sometimes the brushes get stuck and need a bit of coaxing to go, if it starts working then plug it's own wires back on and try AC

andZ3 Sony Z3
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:20 pm

Altransit wrote:What function does the smaller fan on the drivers side have :?: If the passenger side (larger) one does the aircon coolng, does the other one do the engine cooling :?:
I'm pretty sure now, having looked at it carefully, that the fan I have, does both jobs, so maybe it's the higher engine outputs that need the twin fans
My sons' TDCi Focus has the same single fan and controller (same part number too) and his aircon works just fine.

I'll try bridgeing out the relay, but I could feel the contacts opening/closing when I removed and refitted it whilst the engine and aircon was switched on, but I am hoping that the compressor not kicking in is an electrical problem, rather than a knackered unit :)

Yeah my mk7 130 has twin fans

andZ3 Sony Z3
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ake » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:41 pm

andz327 wrote:
Altransit wrote:What function does the smaller fan on the drivers side have :?: If the passenger side (larger) one does the aircon coolng, does the other one do the engine cooling :?:

Yeah my mk7 130 has twin fans

andZ3 Sony Z3

So did mine
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby andz327 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:04 pm

daipower wrote:Lads,
I think I have cracked it. I sat down with the wiring diagram after reading the posts on here. Some time ago I managed to buy a secondhand rad with twin fans and control box. I took the control box off that rad and tried it on my van, still the same problem. After a while tonight I noticed that only one fan was working which got me wondering if the box could see the voltage from that fan and in turn switch on the air con clutch. I got a battery and connected it direct to the van no joy, fan wasnt working. I then went to get the secondhand unit, I unclipped it from the rad and took it over to the van and plugged it in. Hey presto, aircon working again as it should.

So, if one of your fans isnt working, the aircon stops. Probably a check to start off with as its far easier to check than pressure sensors etc. I now have a spare rad with twin fans, the one on the right as you look at the van from the front isnt working, but the box of trick etc is.
Of note, the box of tricks is 940 085 00 and the original one was 940 043 00 in case your trying to get a seconhand one.

I hope this is the same fault for you guys, I am sure its not much to get a fan motor recond.
Let me know how you get on, this did my head in and I am so chuffed tonight.
thanks for the help on here
Dai

Could have told you that at the start BUT YOU SAID BOTH YOUR FANS WERE WORKING WHEN AC WAS SWITCHED ON

andZ3 Sony Z3
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Altransit wrote:Yes, the clutch isn't engaging, and pressing on the front pulley when its running and the A/C turned on, just produces a whirring noise, so it may be that the solenoid is not working, or there is no power to the solenoid for whatever reason.
The solenoid seems to be powered directly from the relay R10, but according to the diagram that Loot has sent me, it earths via a "Heater bypass vacuum controlled valve solenoid" and a "maximum cooling mode switch" whatever and wherever those components are :?
If I could get at the (very inaccessible) wiring connector, I could try powering it directly and see if the clutch then engages.

It's fun this investigation lark :D

Altransit you can get to the pump wires under the air filter box to check or run feed to pump

andZ3 Sony Z3
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:20 pm

andz327 wrote: Altransit you can get to the pump wires under the air filter box to check or run feed to pump

Indeed, since that post I've power probed the compressor, and it's officially dead, and awaiting replacement :(
Youngest son's Focus turned out to be a dead fan controller, and also a dead compressor, which has now been replaced under warranty 8)
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:39 pm

Altransit wrote:
andz327 wrote: Altransit you can get to the pump wires under the air filter box to check or run feed to pump

Indeed, since that post I've power probed the compressor, and it's officially dead, and awaiting replacement :(
Youngest son's Focus turned out to be a dead fan controller, and also a dead compressor, which has now been replaced under warranty 8)

Wish you luck changing it Al :roll: In the midst of a timing chain on a Tourneo at the moment :twisted: that someone else was at a thousand times :shock: Bolts missing ect and most of the ones left are self tappers :x Change the ac tensioner and belt when your at it :idea:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:45 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote: Wish you luck changing it Al :roll:

I've already looked and I'm not going there :shock: My tame local garage has quoted me £150 plus to change it and degas/regas, and I trust their work 8)

bambi mk 1 wrote:Change the ac tensioner and belt when your at it :idea:

I'll ask about them doing this as well, got any part numbers :?: :mrgreen:
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:58 pm

Altransit wrote:
bambi mk 1 wrote: Wish you luck changing it Al :roll:

I've already looked and I'm not going there :shock: My tame local garage has quoted me £150 plus to change it and degas/regas, and I trust their work 8)

bambi mk 1 wrote:Change the ac tensioner and belt when your at it :idea:

I'll ask about them doing this as well, got any part numbers :?: :mrgreen:

No numbers Al but might have some spares if I take them off tomorrow before I burn it :evil:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions