*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Insurance company trying to write my van off !

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Insurance company trying to write my van off !

Postby ajpmsport » Tue May 10, 2016 11:57 pm

Hi. mk 6 lwb high top. 2003 147000 miles
Had a third party swipe the side of my van, third party denied liability and now it`s knock for knock. The body shop want to fit two side panels which will out way the value.
The write off company dealing with it are tying every angle to offer low write off value. The van is 3/4 self build camper, with beds, benches, lockers, sink, electric hook up, fridge etc. Yes the body is a bit untidy and was on the to do list.
They are now asking for a like for like comparison to compare the values as i have rejected their offer and getting pretty cheesed off with them.
I have declared every modification and what it was used for, now they are in denial of this and "oh this does not get taken into consideration". type of thing.
So if any can help and your van fits the criteria with a value and you do not mind me sending a link to the write off rip off firm it would be greatly appreciated. I know its a long shot but worth a go.
Ford Transit 2.4 tdi long wheel base high top
year 2003 (52 plate)
between 132000 162000 miles
self build camper

Thank you
ajpmsport
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Insurance company trying to write my van off !

Postby paul2012 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:42 am

Regardless if it's been converted into a camper

If it's still listed as a van / panel van on V5. All they will offer is current market value for a van of that year & average mileage. Which is currently at around £700-£1700 :!:
2 new side panels fitted & painted up will cost more than value of van - To been honest for a write off, it will be a low offer. :(

Although if done properly & body type on V5 changed to "Motorcaravan" by DVLA. It would be a different matter.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MikeHamling » Wed May 11, 2016 7:15 am

I think Paul is right unfortunately. I have the same van as yours converted into a camper (but registered as a motorcaravan) I'd happily help if I can but how can I prove the value of mine? Also there's a few conversions on ebay for £4-5k

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Owner of MK6 (Dec 2000 early facelift) LWB hightop motorhome conversion. 2.4l duratorq diesel.
MikeHamling
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MinorMatt » Wed May 11, 2016 8:41 am

It depends on the insurance company...

Mine have explicitly stated in the policy document that the value of modifications are taken in to account
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Wed May 11, 2016 4:04 pm

I had something similar when a foreign trucker wrecked the side of my mk6 last year, I used ebay and gumtree to price other similar vans
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Wed May 11, 2016 4:07 pm

andz327 wrote:I had something similar when a foreign trucker wrecked the side of my mk6 last year, I used ebay and gumtree to price other similar vans
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Wed May 11, 2016 4:17 pm

andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Wed May 11, 2016 4:22 pm

I managed to get £2150 + my van back by using ebay and gumtree listings, and managed to sort(95%sorted)Image for under £100Image
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Wed May 11, 2016 6:11 pm

Surely if you don't pursue the claim they have to give you the van back or as above buy it back from the insurance company and fix it your self. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ABA » Wed May 11, 2016 6:26 pm

the main thing that really pi**is me of with insurance company is when you go to insure your car van what ever they ask the value of it but if you have an accident they only want to pay out the book price so why don't they just insure it for the book price in the first place because that's all they are gonna pay you for it
ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:35 pm

ABA wrote:the main thing that really pi**is me of with insurance company is when you go to insure your car van what ever they ask the value of it but if you have an accident they only want to pay out the book price so why don't they just insure it for the book price in the first place because that's all they are gonna pay you for it

Your right and even when it's non fault accident your premium still goes up even with full no claims discount
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ajpmsport » Tue May 17, 2016 9:30 pm

well its still going on at the moment. It`s gone from the company that deals with the wright offs back to the insurance company for their engineer to look at. They tried to tell me it can not be counted as a conversion because it has no vents in the side for the fridge. "It`s an electric fridge" Oh we have to look into it further.
I did send links of vans for sale that fitted the spec but they just said they do not match up and will not be used. Easy for them to say.
When i insured it the question "any modifications" came up, so i declared the conversion thinking its the right thing to do and be insured properly. As already stated why can`t i insure it for the value they will offer for as a panel van.
One last thing springs to mind if it does go the route of wrighting it off and i buy it back. if i was to sell it on after that are there any complications with that.
Thanks
ajpmsport
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ned » Tue May 17, 2016 9:59 pm

I bought a write off a few years ago from a salvage company cat c I think it was, I just put it through an mot and taxed it had no bother untill the cam belt snapped, not sure if that's the correct way of doing it but that's all I did. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MikeHamling » Tue May 17, 2016 10:02 pm

My wife works for one of the big insurers (not in any department to do with claims before im lynched) and she reassures me that the guys you are dealing with have the job of giving you as little money as possible. Firstly be as persistent (not rude or aggressive) as possible and try to get to the point where you annoy them so much they just pay you to leave them alone.

If that fails & you feel you have a genuine case then tell them you'll raise the case with the insurance ombudsman. Insurers have to pay a fee for every case referred to the ombudsman so if they don't feel they can argue their case it is sometimes easier to pay you a bit more.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Owner of MK6 (Dec 2000 early facelift) LWB hightop motorhome conversion. 2.4l duratorq diesel.
MikeHamling
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DodgeRover » Wed May 18, 2016 11:03 am

If you retain salvage you can just carry on using it once its repaired. VIC has been discontinued now, not that it applied to commercials anyway, the insurance company may tell you they won't let you retain salvage though. they may tell you that you need to MOT it again, but as far as i know there is no method the insurers can use to cancel an existing MOT so it will still be valid till its expiry date.
Oddly the one time we were rear ended in our car it went from being a write off to being repaired when I mentioned I was 100% keeping the salvage whatever happened, I think someone in the bodyshop was fancying it for themselves.
I also if they are only valuing it as a panel van then you may as well strip out the entire conversion before it goes.

As said look for other vans of the same spec on a dealers forecourt - not the small ads, unless you had it on a traders policy they should be valuing it a forecourt retail price, to build up a folder of evidence of value.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions