*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Central locking issue on mk6

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Central locking issue on mk6

Postby wombcorps » Mon May 23, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi all, i have a 2005 LWB med roof transit, she just sailed through yet another MOT 8) However I've been having an issue with the central locking on and off for two years now, and whilst in for MOT and service I told them about it and got them to try fix it, to no avail....

The central locking works fine on all doors when i use my key in the drivers door (both locking and unlocking). But the key fob does not. I have bought so many fobs over the last 2 years, some work for a bit then die, but it's got worse and now no fobs will work. have tried swapping batteries, coding my fobs to someone else's van to check they work then coding them to mine, no luck, buying new fobs etc. When I enter programming mode, I click buttons on a fob and sometimes the van will make a 'clicking' noise as if it's trying to do something but cant, but sometimes nothing happens at all, and after 20 secs the locks cycle again to exit. Sometimes the fob will burst into life and work briefly, only to stop again. I've tried noting when this happens to see if there's a pattern, but there's no rules to it.

Have had battery checked, fuses, all the obvious things. Nothing came up in diagnostic checks. The only thing I can think that might be doing it is my back doors - they sometimes slip off the catch when I hit a bump, they don't open fully but remain 'locked' but an inch or so flapping around off the locking catch. the van still locks the other doors when this has happened if i use my key.

The garage suggested the next logical step is to buy a replacement lock unit and catch for the rear doors, try that and see if it fixes the locking issue. But I'm dubious that's it as the fob still won't work even when I've ensured the back doors are shut properly.

Has anyone got any ideas? Am trying to to throw infinite money at it but I'm running out of options. ideas for how to fix the back doors and/or fix the general central locking would be great :D
wombcorps
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Central locking issue on mk6

Postby Altransit » Mon May 23, 2016 4:49 pm

Have you had a look at the central locking module itself :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Jim Archer » Mon May 23, 2016 6:24 pm

If your fobs code to other vans OK then it's likely to be the receiver in the module - by sounds of it there's a dry joint.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby wombcorps » Mon May 23, 2016 8:44 pm

Altransit wrote:Have you had a look at the central locking module itself :?:

Nope - where is this and what should I look for? I have a Haynes manual and sure I looked in there to see if there was any info but perhaps I missed it...
wombcorps
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby wombcorps » Mon May 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Jim Archer wrote:If your fobs code to other vans OK then it's likely to be the receiver in the module - by sounds of it there's a dry joint.

Jim

Thanks, is there a way of 'checking' it's this? If not, how do you fix it?
wombcorps
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Jim Archer » Wed May 25, 2016 3:31 pm

You might find holding the fob right next to the locking unit may get it to work.

Given that the locking works on the key and not the fob says it's the transceiver in the locking unit. Other than visually inspecting and/or probing it I don't know otherwise how you could tell - maybe IDS interogation might give a fault if tested?

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby pheasantplucker » Fri May 27, 2016 12:22 am

Different symptoms but found a faulty drivers door lock on mine. Locked OK but gave 3 beeps as if it wasn't locked.
pheasantplucker

Return to Technical Problems & Questions