*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Durashift problems shifting into 4th gear

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Durashift problems shifting into 4th gear

Postby mszuur » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi there,

My name is Sebastian i live in the Netherlands and I'm new to this forum.
Since to weeks i own a 2001 Transit 2.4 tddi 90hp with 5 speed auto shift gearbox.
After a couple of days the problems started.
If i hit the brakes and it has to backshift in fourth gear it sometimes rubs its teeth and shift into neutral and finally ends up in fourth gear with the light on the dash flashing.
It's very bad when i leave the motorway and slowly reduce speed by lifting the gas.
The same teeth rubbing happens sometimes if it shifts up into fourth gear.
If i put it in manual and downshift when the engine has low revs i don't have the problems.
Also in manual when shifting up from third to fourth gear the problem is less when i lift the gas and shift manual.
I think the clutch is not very good because i can smel it if i have to drive away on a slope. Can that be the problem?
Maybe it's very bad and the clutch can not come to a full release when shifting to fourth ?
Since i don't have any knowledge about this gearbox i hope there is some experience here.
The clutch oil level is ok, i also replaced the black and grey relais under the bonnet.

Regards Sebastian
mszuur

Re: Durashift problems shifting into 4th gear

Postby AndyG » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:24 pm

Hello Sebastian,
You don't mention the mileage, but one of the most common problems on this type of transmission is the clutch master cylinder letting in air.
There is a modified master cylinder from Ford to overcome this problem, but you'll need IDS computer or Ford to bleed the system.
The other problems with this box is the HPU (high pressure pump).
If the rest of the box is working ok, we have to presume that the HPU is ok.

The transmission is ECU controlled and as such, would have logged fault codes that can be read :idea:

Good luck with the most miserable box Ford ever fiited to a van!
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Re: Durashift problems shifting into 4th gear

Postby ossie cossie » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:49 pm

I have similar issues with my ASM transit gearbox all the things you mention happen to mine as well, i also use manual a lot when it starts playing up. if i get to the bottom of it i will let you know.
ossie cossie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Technical Problems & Questions