*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

spare wheel winder

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

spare wheel winder

Postby still thinking » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:18 pm

new to this transit camper 1997. think i might have done something daft. squirted wd40 to stop the cable rusting now it won't wind back up.won't lift the weight of the wheel.crank goes in through a hole at rear middle of bumper and winds up on a cable. what have done wrong? is it an easy fix? feeling a bit foolish. eddie. :oops:
still thinking

Re: spare wheel winder

Postby MinorMatt » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:42 pm

Have you pushed the bar in all the way against the spring?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: spare wheel winder

Postby still thinking » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:47 am

pushed the bar against the spring and it winds the cable until it comes to pick the wheel off the ground. that's as far as it gets. is it working through friction insted of cogs? have i damaged it squirting wd up there? thought it worked through cogs and ratchet like the one on the truck i used to drive. going to have to take it off and try and fettle it. it's only held on with four bolts but not got big enough tx bit. some spares for this thing are like trying to find rocking horse manure. but do like the van better than an old talbot camper we used to own.right going to bed. going shopping tomorrow then seeing how it comes off. :oops: eddie.
still thinking

Return to Technical Problems & Questions