*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Should I up grade my engine

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Should I up grade my engine

Postby Rifpilchard » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:41 am

Hi

Wondered if someone might be able to help me on this one?
I currently have a Transit 2.5 Di (Not Banana) engine fitted in a series three Land Rover, and you really need to rev it to get it going and it makes it a bit of hard work to drive especially when using an overdrive gear. Should I consider changing the engine over to a later Turbo transit engine in which case which one would you recommend also would you know if the engine mounts will be a lot different on the newer engine, it would be good if it would just slot on to the original mounts. Fuel economy is quite important to me, so if any one has some Ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Best regards

Jon (Rif)
Rifpilchard
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Should I up grade my engine

Postby Jim Archer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:29 am

You can easily turbo your present engine - a forum search for 'turbo conversion' should find you all the info you need to know.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby robbie.cee » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:59 am

Having gone from banana di to pinto 2.0 to essex v6 3.0 to cossie v6 2.9i if i could wave a magic wand there would be a banana di with a turbo and 130hp injectors in the green meanie right now!!!!!
2.9i 24v cosworth v6 LSD now fitted and quad pipes out back

Had
X-Reg Mk5 150ps 3.0 ESSEX V6
MAKE IT FIT

RIP Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
robbie.cee
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DodgeRover » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:43 pm

Have you turned up the pump as described on the forum somewhere and deleted the EGR? What diffs are you running? our old 2.25 diesel Lwb series had no problem holding on in overdrive on the flat.
Have you checked the valve clearances lately?

robbie.cee wrote:Having gone from banana di to pinto 2.0 to essex v6 3.0 to cossie v6 2.9i if i could wave a magic wand there would be a banana di with a turbo and 130hp injectors in the green meanie right now!!!!!

Can the same magic fairy swap your old 2.9 cossy lump for my pinto while they are at it;)
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Rifpilchard » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:45 pm

Thanks everyone

in answer to the notes above, Robbie.cee - I wasn't aware I could upgrade the 2.5DI (Non Banana) "Cav injector" to be turbo'd, is this reasonably easy? I have had a good bit of experience working on petrol engines however I am new to diesels and especially turbos. I will of course read up on how this is done but could I be taking on a major task that needs a lot of previous experience. Thanks for the Idea.

Dodge Rover - The current diffs are the Salisbury rear and standard landy front, if I am honest I didn't think my engine had an ERG on it, please tell me more if there is one. regarding the pump, no I have not done anything with it at present I will search out the post you mention regarding how to do this, thanks for the tip

Best regards

Jon
Rifpilchard
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:38 pm

Has it had a decent service? Including valve clearances and correctly timed cambelt?

Usually CAV equiped DIs go pretty well - which sort of makes up for the infernal din the injection system puts out.

Jim
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Rifpilchard » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:50 pm

Jim thanks for your response, I have done the valve clearance and its bang on both inlet and exhaust. the timing has been an issue as the 13mm crank locking pin bush (located near the fuel filter that locks in to the rear fly wheel) has come loose from the housing and therefore moves about a bit. I am currently removing the engine to get in it to put this back in place. I have changed the timing belt also. I have also run a strong measure of injector cleaner through as well.
Rifpilchard
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Rifpilchard » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:12 pm

Could I ask if the Transit 2.5 DTI "turbo" is matched to my engine or is it best to look for a preferred alternative one out there. Also would the manifold be compatible with some adaption or is it about converting my existing one to take the unit. One other question is will I need to adjust the fuel pump to raise the mixture of diesel to the amount of air under pressure going in? I am on a bit of a budget so I would like to use a unit form another vehicle if possible rather that buying a new manufactured kit, I am OK with welding and adapting if I know what to fix where.

Thanks

Jon
Rifpilchard
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:27 am

Yup, the TD version was just lightly altered, so all manifolds and the like just bolt straight on.

Your problem may be that the CAV pump isn't as easy to get more performance out of as they are built to produce a certain flow rate where the Bosch is adjusted back to suit the application. There is nothing to stop you fitting a Bosch pump but you will need to change the bottom pulley to suit the later cambelt.

Have a forum search for TD conversions.

Jim
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MinorMatt » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:41 am

I don't think you will need to change the bottom pulley...

The pulley from the cav should bolt straight on to the bosch
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:46 pm

I was thinking more of the wider belt, for those who must fiddle :wink:

Also, I assume suitable injectors are available?

Jim
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MinorMatt » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:59 pm

Wider belt came in 97... no need to fit to an earlier engine?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Rifpilchard » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:11 am

Thanks everyone for your great advice, I have found a "banana " engine locally with 121k on the clock running etc just got to pick it up. It has the bosch pump etc. I am probably going to regret this but i like the idea of adding the turbo! Could anyone advise the best option.
1) swap the pump (bosch) over to my original engine and then fit a turbo
2) fit the banana engine and get rid of the original engine leave it without the turbo upgrade
3) fit the banana go ahead it the turbo upgrade ie will I see a real benefit or will it be very difficult to get it to run right without allot o tech knowledge

If the turbo is considered as a good option could you tel me which other transit engine would make the easiest donor for the turbo and what parts should I look for apart from the manifold and exhaust unions etc will I need to fit an intercooler for instance will it make a lot of difference.

I know I have included a lot of questions in one email, thanks for reading and considering a response

Best regards

Rif (jon)
Rifpilchard
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Jim Archer » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Easy option is all the bits from a Mk4/5 TD version and fit them to your current engine.

Mine started life as a 97 70ps SWB, fitted all TD specific items - 85ps injectors as they came on the donor motor - and adjusted the stock 70ps - 141 pump so it only smoked a little bit under boost. Reckon it probably made 100ps by time I'd wound more boost and fuel into it.

Better fuel mileage if I didn't boot it, quieter, much nicer to drive. With the 4.56 diff it was a bit short geared but the performance between 50 and 80 in top gear made me smile every time.

Jim
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Rifpilchard » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks Jim

Thats really helpful info did you come up against any issues in setting the turbo up or is it just about adjusting the pump to slightly increase\decrease the fuel injected rather than the injection timing.
Can I also just check something that you said, you mentioned the pump ref as 141 is that the bosch pump or the cav\lucas one. Just wondering if you are suggesting putting the bosch pump on my current engine I assume I will take across the bosch injectors as well? I am also assuming that this would be a straight swap of the installed can with the bosch one.

Thanks again in you really helpful advice

Best regards

Jon
Rifpilchard
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions