*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Door not opening manually or with fob.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Door not opening manually or with fob.

Postby Smallvin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:17 pm

Hi guys,

First post, hope I explain my bizarre situation clearly.

I have a 2010 SWB 330 115 Transit FWD 117k.

Went down to the van this morning to go away for the weekend and the fob wouldn't open the door. So I tried to open it manually and the key wouldn't open it either. I then used my work transit to try and recharge the battery (as I thought it was maybe the battery was low) but this didn't help either. The local garage gave me a loan of their charger and this did nothing too. I kept both on charge for over 20 mins. Then I got GreenFlag out through my insurance and they checked the battery and said the charge was fine. They then opened the door ajar with airbags and tried the lock from the inside. We both knew this was futile as there is a "lock stop" to stop this from happening.

The fob didn't work a couple of weeks ago either, but I just opened the door manually and all was fine. The key opened the bonnet no problem today, so I think the key is fine. The breakdown guy just put a penetrating lubricant in the keyhole and told me to try it tomorrow.

I'm stuck as to what to do now. As far as I can remember there is only the one battery under the driver seat as it's the FWD. I've been wrong before though!

Any help would be much appreciated, hope I've stuck to Forum rules.

Regards, Mike.
Smallvin

Re: Door not opening manually or with fob.

Postby Altransit » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:26 pm

All the above, points to the van having two batteries, and the front one is dead, and causing nothing to work. The jump point under the bonnet is only connected to the rear starter battery, so your attempts to charge the dead non-starter battery are useless.
If the key is put in the ignition, and turned on, then both batteries will connect together allowing the c/l to operate, but you'll probably need to remove the small window to do this :idea: .

No help to you now, but I use my key to open the door a couple of times a week to make sure that the lock works ok if I ever need it to :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Smallvin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:30 pm

So, am I right in thinking that if this is the issue, the key should still manually open the door anyway? Even if both batteries were dead?

Thanks for the reply

Cheer, Mike
Smallvin

Postby Altransit » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:31 pm

Just a thought, you could try getting a new key cut and see if the lock works with that :idea:

You only need a standard Tibbe key, it doesn't need to be chipped or coded just to unlock the door :wink:
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Altransit » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:33 pm

Smallvin wrote:So, am I right in thinking that if this is the issue, the key should still manually open the door anyway? Even if both batteries were dead?

Thanks for the reply

Cheer, Mike

Yes, key should always work on the drivers door and bonnet, even with dead batteries. You won't be able to get in the back though until the c/l works.

Have you tried the key both ways up :?:
Have you tried a new fob battery :?:
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby ake » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:05 pm

Altransit wrote:
Smallvin wrote:So, am I right in thinking that if this is the issue, the key should still manually open the door anyway? Even if both batteries were dead?

Thanks for the reply

Cheer, Mike

Yes, key should always work on the drivers door and bonnet, even with dead batteries. You won't be able to get in the back though until the c/l works.

Have you tried the key both ways up :?:
Have you tried a new fob battery :?:

The key hole is probably seized from lack of use. Which is why you should open the van with the key at least once a week
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Smallvin » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi,

Just a little update to say that the penetrant that was sprayed in the keyhole done it's job and the door finally opened. Then the engine turned over with no problems.

The fob now works again. Not sure what the issue was with the fob and maybe it'll happen again, but the moral of the story is to use your key in the lock at least once a week.

Thanks everyone. Will be back soon no doubt with other questions.

Mike.
Smallvin

Return to Technical Problems & Questions