*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Advise urgently needed! Please help!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Advise urgently needed! Please help!

Postby Bluerider » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:26 pm

AAF48659B88646449A19057F67412039.jpg
IMG_1783.JPG

Hello everyone,

I've owned a 06reg Ford Transit Luton Dropwell 135T350 2.4TDCI RWD for more than 8 years. The vehicle has only had light use and it's been regularly serviced and well looked after. It has 114000 miles on the clock, mainly doing long distance runs in Europe, and apart for refurbishing the fuel pump and gear box a few years ago, I've had no major dramas with it. It's been a solid runner and a trusted and reliable van.

My nightmare started last summer when the engine of my van was badly damaged after being towed in Paris by the French Police. (Head shaft cracked, distribution chain, valves, engine sensors, rocker cover need raplacing).

The vehicle was running like dream on the way to Paris. It was legally parked (it was most probably left in gear with a handbreak on). However, the next morning the Police decided to clear the whole street of all the cars due to a mass demonstration in the area. When I was reuinited with my van, it wouldn't start, so I called RAC for assistance.

The RAC contractor loaded the vehicle on a flat bed truck and took it to a garage outside of Paris to diagnose the problems. The next day they called me to say that two engine sensors needed replacing and estimated the cost of the repair to be Euros299. That however didn't solve it, and as they discovered other major faults over the next few weeks the estimate rocketed to 3800Euros. At this point I had a call from RAC France who formally announced that repatriation of the vehicle under their cover would not be possible, as the vehicle exceeds the maximum length allowed by the policy. I was given a choice, either to pay the garage 3800E for the repair or pay the same garage 2000E to repatriate the vehicle.

I decided to file a compensation claim with the Police directly and start a separate claim through my motor Insurance. I was advised to keep the vehicle in France pending investigation, which is still ongoing.

The Police have refused to accept liability for the damage, as they claim to have used the correct method to move my van and that the damage found could not have been caused by towing. The vehicle was raised from the front by a dolly truck and small trolley wheels were supposedly placed under the back wheels when it was moved. According to them, the back wheels were not in touch with the ground.

However, I strongly believe that they omitted to take into account the extremely low ground clearance of my van. It has an extra long dropwell part (min. 1m from the rear wheel to the end of the box ), with the rear bottom edge only about 25cm from the ground when unladen. To make the matters worse there was an unsecured load of around 20 boxes which all slid backwards during transit, pushing the rear bottom edge even closer to the ground.

What is the most likely cause for the damage sustained in your opinion?

What would happen if the back of the dropwell was dragging and jumping on the bumpy ground as the vehicle was raised from the front ? Could this be the cause of the damage ?

My Insurers investigation has been totally insufficient. The only evidence they have used is the Police Investigator's report and they seem totally reluctant to challenge the Police. On top of me losing several thousands due to not having my van for the last five months they seem to think it is OK that I write off the whole van and more than £5K it's worth!?

How do I prove to them that the damage was not accidental or a mechanical failure due to wear and tear. They have asked me to get an Independant Mechanic's opinion.

Please advise! Many thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bluerider

Re: Advise urgently needed! Please help!

Postby whitemice » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:39 pm

Timing chain slipped if your van was moved when in gear ----- no oil pressure for tensioner when engine not running.
Lot of info and tales of woe on here after damage caused to engines by bump starting.
Ake has advice if it must be done :!:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=141576
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIaGWURONRU
'' VOTE Kim Jong Unwell.
Mike writ '' a vote for lABOUR is a vote for islam and a conservative vote is a vote for islam and a vote for liberal is a vote for islam. ''
DBVM ''a vote for UKIP is a vote for islam''
whitemice
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Location: normalised heavily chemtrailed cretinous individual just like you

Postby Bluerider » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:44 am

Thanks very much for your reply. It's much appreciated!
Bluerider

Postby loot » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:56 am

In gear with the handbrake on and being dragged probably won't be fast enough to jump the chain.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Altransit » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:20 pm

Depending on which gear it was left in .......................... the engine may have been turned backwards :idea: :shock: :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions