*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

On board air system - from ac pump

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

On board air system - from ac pump

Postby canveysteve » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Anyone fitted on board air via a ac pump to a mk 5

Looking at doing this have all the bits -not a tranny ac bracket ect , mounting mine above the altinator
One thing im stumped with is oil or grease in the ac pump a few forums say grease but other say oil id say oil ( 225ml according to sanden )
Any ideas !!
canveysteve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: On board air system - from ac pump

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:24 am

canveysteve wrote:Anyone fitted on board air via a ac pump to a mk 5

Looking at doing this have all the bits -not a tranny ac bracket ect , mounting mine above the altinator
One thing im stumped with is oil or grease in the ac pump a few forums say grease but other say oil id say oil ( 225ml according to sanden )
Any ideas !!

Are you getting the A/C re-gassed..?? If so the person doing the re-gas would know the correct amount and type of oil for the system. Don't know of any A/C systems with grease in..!?? :shock:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby canveysteve » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:17 am

No ac pump is to be used as a compressor not for air con
canveysteve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jim Archer » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:19 am

What sort of useage rate are you thinking of? A/C pump isn't designed to shift a lot of air. You'd probably get away with running a hobby airbrush or a quick squirt of air for blowing something through. Otherwise you've got to look at a big capacity tank that is filled whilst driving.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mistericeman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Ac pumps are often used in the landrover world and will shift plenty of air... better with a small tank BUT they're plenty capable of tyre inflation etc (though don't expect to be running a rattle gun without a heavy weight system)
Some of the York compressors have, a 'sump' rather than relying on oil being transferred around by the refrigerant.
I considered doing it on one of my Landrovers but went instead for one of the heavy duty 12v t max compressors instead.
Matt savage do a good range of on board air kits.
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:47 pm

mistericeman wrote:Ac pumps are often used in the landrover world and will shift plenty of air... better with a small tank BUT they're plenty capable of tyre inflation etc (though don't expect to be running a rattle gun without a heavy weight system)
Some of the York compressors have, a 'sump' rather than relying on oil being transferred around by the refrigerant.
I considered doing it on one of my Landrovers but went instead for one of the heavy duty 12v t max compressors instead.
Matt savage do a good range of on board air kits.

And you're going to use on mk5 for what? If you don't mind me asking
knobby1 wrote:
canveysteve wrote:Anyone fitted on board air via a ac pump to a mk 5

Any ideas !!

Are you getting the A/C re-gassed..?? If so the person doing the re-gas would know the correct amount and type of oil for the system. Don't know of any A/C systems with grease in..!?? :shock:

Lord Knobrot
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby canveysteve » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:07 pm

Sorry for the major delay
Yes is for my mk5 tranny basicly it's a mobile workshop so need a air supply already have a 60l tank fitted and a Elec compressor but is no good if I don't have a 240 power hook up as my Genny won't run it nor will my inverter
canveysteve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions