*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

EV Tranit Mk6 Upgrade to Zero Emisions

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: EV Tranit Mk6 Upgrade to Zero Emisions

Postby knobby1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:16 pm

andz327 wrote:Op said each battery is 60ah not 40ah

The a/h rating of the battery and it's current delivery capacity ("C" rating) would indeed be a big factor. Isn't the power rating of the motor a function of the voltage x current delivered/consumed..?? ...and in this case he mentioned 132volts...and the motor controller capable of delivering 650amps to the motor..?? This would give ~86kw...which would make sense.....you wouldn't bother if the power delivery was just 8kw..? 8kw would be lucky to move the van let alone run it at 60mph.

I play a lot with small racing multirotors/quad-copters...and the "C" rating or "current delivery" ability of the batteries can be huge....a small 4 cell 2000mah battery on a full charge, (16.8v) with a "C" rating of 90C is capable of delivering a constant 180amps, this means it's capable of delivering over 3kw or 4hp.....not bad for something weighing less than 500grams...

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby trnsitvanman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:11 am

Well so many comments in a few days
this is the kit I am going to buy for all you tacheys out there
http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_i ... ucts_id=83
producing up to 71 HP and 120 ft-lbs of torque Not bad for a AC Electric Motor.
just to explain if you have 40 100Ah thats 4000 Kwh of capacity.
From standstill you have availabe Rated Torque: 120 Lb Ft right up to 5000rpm now the motor peaks at 10000rpm and after the inital accelleration as you reduce your lead foot from the accellerator kwh consuption drops so you only use a small amount of power.
when crusing you are using probably only 30hp

heres a link to the batterys I intend to use
http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_i ... ucts_id=51

a guy in the USA got 542miles in a car designed with a capacity of ony 300 miles
its at the end of the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxSG7Xl2uQ0

will answer more questions soon
Last edited by trnsitvanman on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Motor bike are fun but Dangerous Too
trnsitvanman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby trnsitvanman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:15 am

ake wrote:Not wanting to sound negative, but the chances of a home made electric vehicle achieving two hundred miles at sixty miles per hour is about as likely as your chances of winning the lottery without buying a ticket.
Spending a no doubt large amount of money converting a van that's about 15 years old strikes me as complete and utter madness

Most of the main stream conversions use a rwd van, and ditch the engine and gearbox.

But good luck!

small thing they convert VW beatles etc eveywhere but here
https://www.youtube.com/user/evwestdotcom
trnsitvanman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby trnsitvanman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:21 am

ake wrote:Not wanting to sound negative, but the chances of a home made electric vehicle achieving two hundred miles at sixty miles per hour is about as likely as your chances of winning the lottery without buying a ticket.
Spending a no doubt large amount of money converting a van that's about 15 years old strikes me as complete and utter madness

Most of the main stream conversions use a rwd van, and ditch the engine and gearbox.

But good luck!

still need the VTX75 gearbox to get drive down to the road but I have a choice of clutchless or clutched, but I am going direct to free up the extra HP,nor required in a electric EV
a I think i can use a huge relay to engage and disengage the release bearing to aid better gear changes
still thinking that one through
trnsitvanman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby trnsitvanman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:33 am

check out this goy amazing did it himself

http://ev-liberty.com/electric_vw_samba_bus.html
trnsitvanman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby rogerw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:30 am

knobby1 wrote:
andz327 wrote:Op said each battery is 60ah not 40ah

The a/h rating of the battery and it's current delivery capacity ("C" rating) would indeed be a big factor. Isn't the power rating of the motor a function of the voltage x current delivered/consumed..?? ...and in this case he mentioned 132volts...and the motor controller capable of delivering 650amps to the motor..?? This would give ~86kw...which would make sense.....you wouldn't bother if the power delivery was just 8kw..? 8kw would be lucky to move the van let alone run it at 60mph.

I play a lot with small racing multirotors/quad-copters...and the "C" rating or "current delivery" ability of the batteries can be huge....a small 4 cell 2000mah battery on a full charge, (16.8v) with a "C" rating of 90C is capable of delivering a constant 180amps, this means it's capable of delivering over 3kw or 4hp.....not bad for something weighing less than 500grams...

Lord Knobrot

Yeah but I think 132v is at battery, its DC. You can't multiply that by AC to get power.
2003, petrol
rogerw
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby lancy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:31 am

Hello i like your conversion idea! Im also curently planning a tranny conversion to electric :D but am still ONLY in planning stages :(

So am i right in saying your goin for 3.3v 60ah cells with 40 of these in series to make 132v x11 of these then in parallel for 660ah thus coming to just over 87kwh battery pack?

I look forward to seeing how this goes!
lancy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:40 am

I'm lost (yeah nothing new), have we actually established how much battery capacity this is going to have?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby trnsitvanman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:14 pm

lancy wrote:Hello i like your conversion idea! Im also curently planning a tranny conversion to electric :D but am still ONLY in planning stages :(

So am i right in saying your goin for 3.3v 60ah cells with 40 of these in series to make 132v x11 of these then in parallel for 660ah thus coming to just over 87kwh battery pack?

I look forward to seeing how this goes!
all banks connected in series
4 banks of 10 in series so 1 bank of 10 at 33vdc 600ah x 4 = 132vdc 2400 Kwa capacity pack
+ to - to + to - one string
trnsitvanman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby lancy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:55 am

Ah i see, how much range are you hoping for? Ive seen these kits at evwest and wonderd how theyd do, but if i were going for one it would be the av-76. Tho the initial motor i was looking at was the siemens motor. Will be good to see how well this setup runs. Have you orderd the kit yet?
lancy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby amlav » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:28 am

[/quote] all banks connected in series
4 banks of 10 in series so 1 bank of 10 at 33vdc 600ah x 4 = 132vdc 2400 Kwa capacity pack
+ to - to + to - one string[/quote]

If you connect 10 of them in series than on that bank you will end up only 60A at 33 volts .
40 batteries connected in series will give you 132Vdc but still 60Amps total .
But if 4 banks of 10(series connection) are connected in parallel than it will be 240A at 33 volts .

The draw back with the ones connected in series is ...if one battery fails than that bank will be down .
As much as admire enterprising and inovative projects I think at present economicaly is not realy a viable option .
People say "no polution etc.etc..." but it takes al sort of power plants to produce that power to charge the batteries and those plants produce carbon emision (unless Hydro). Than batteries have a life span and have to be discarded for recycling...so more carbon emision in recycling and producing the new ones .
One thing for sure is a step forward in inovation but far from being zero emision technology .
amlav
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:51 am

Mike wrote:I'm lost (yeah nothing new), have we actually established how much battery capacity this is going to have?

Is that it Mike, no other comments???????? ......
must be an imposter
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knighty1981 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:21 am

love the ideas, but 8kwh battery bank is a bit small - a (hybrid petrol) Prius has a 8kwh battery and they don't go fat at all on electric only

a Tesla S has an 85khw battery (300 ish miles range)

problem is batteries are so bloody expensive :-(
knighty1981
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby lancy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:59 pm

I thought same, was lookin at second hand tesla batterys,
20 modules at 5.3kwh = 106kwh battery pack = £22500 :shock: which i dont mind but goin to take a while to get fund for whole package but on the plus side in a couple years they should come down in price especially tesla have jus started to produce a new battery made from 21700 cells opposed to current 18650 cells. Tho they claim there new cells will be cheaper than current ones but time will tell!
lancy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knighty1981 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:32 am

crashed nissan leaf etc. would be best bet for batteries

there's a bit of competition for them, so they're not mega cheap, but still miles cheaper than new!
knighty1981
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions