*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Split high pressure fuel pipe

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Split high pressure fuel pipe

Postby Kaymar » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:25 am

I have a 2005 MK 6 (VJ) 2.4 TDCi that continually destroys the high pressure pipe between the pump and the common rail. It splits every time at the top connection (where the pipe connects to the underside of the rail) next to the flare nut. I'm on my 4th pipe, they last about 30k Kms. I've been told that the absence of a clip/bracket will do it but the pipe is only about 200mm (about 7-8 inches and 3 bends) long and both ends are connected to solidly engine mounted components, and there is no provision for a clip and no listing in the Ford parts book for a clip.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem, or has anyone experienced this problem?
I can can get no satisfaction from Ford Australia. These days I buy a new one for spare each time it breaks, and have ordered a spanner that hopefully will give me reasonably easy access to the bottom flare nut. Ford parts now tell me the part is obsolete and no longer available; great.
Cheers
Kim
Kaymar
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Split high pressure fuel pipe

Postby ake » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:42 am

Any decent garage should be able to for a pipe for you and flare the ends
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Jim Archer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:51 am

Are you having to force it to fit? Is it nice and straight to the fittings each end?

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andz327 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Have you tried slackening the bolts off a bit that hold the common rail on, then tighten up the fuel pipe and see how it sits, then nip up the rail bolts

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Kaymar » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:57 pm

Jim, No I'm not forcing anything (except my patience); they spin on by hand, both ends, most satisfactorily.

andz327... no I haven't tried that but I will. Thanks.

And thanks for the responses folks.
Kaymar
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Kaymar » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:27 am

A hypothesis; as this is my first diesel, first commercial vehicle, I have little experience here, but what are the symptoms of a wearing (out) pump? Does it have bearings in it that could set up a vibration in the pump as they wear, ie could the pump vibrating cause the pipe to split?
The pump is performing well from a vehicle performance point of view.
Kim
Kaymar
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Jim Archer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:08 pm

Due to it's very nature the pump will cause vibration in the HP lines - there is possibly a hydraulic damper in the system to help prevent this(?)

Just a thought, is it cracking at the point the nut clamps the pipe onto the male fitting into the rail? If so, change the fitting as it could be distorted and stressing the flare.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Wadey » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:10 pm

There is a bracket if it's fitted into a mondeo I had the same problem with a customers we went though 3 pipes before I found it I did have the part numbers but that was a long time ago I'll see if I can dig it out and post it up if not it's gonna be asking the Ford Delers I'm afraid
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kaymar » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:52 am

Jim Archer wrote:Just a thought, is it cracking at the point the nut clamps the pipe onto the male fitting into the rail? If so, change the fitting as it could be distorted and stressing the flare.

Jim, yes it splits at the flare nut, and on the same side of the pipe, so what you say makes a lot of sense. On that bit of evidence it would suggest that the pipe is fractionally out of line. Hmmm... The nipple it fixes to on the rail looks like it is part of the rail casting with the thread machined after, I don't like my chances changing it. Investigations continue though.
As an aside, new pipes came with a little (blue) plastic saddle on the pipe that has no obvious (to me) use. Ideas?
Kaymar
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Technical Problems & Questions