*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk3 pinto 2.0 rough running and no power

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk3 pinto 2.0 rough running and no power

Postby colly 695 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Picked up my mk3 tipper today from getting a load of welding done, its been in the garage for months and was only worked on in their spare time to keep costs down for the repairs. Started up fine, then when driving no power at all......sounds like a tractor!!

Any sort of hill and it will only move in 1st gear at about 10mph - on the flat will go a bit better, once in 4th gear it vibrates let hell. Wont idle either just stalls eventually, i rang the garage up and asked them what it could be - i was told its probably the spark plugs as they had started and stopped it loads of times while it was them and it was only moved round the yard each time - it has the vv carb with automatic choke which seem to play up a bit when cold so in theory the plugs have suffered.
Will hopefully replace them tomorrow - just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems.

Cheers
A life without a transit aint worth living

96 mk5 lwb/semi hi roof
90 mk3 pinto tipper
colly 695
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk3 pinto 2.0 rough running and no power

Postby andz327 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:55 pm

When you're doing the plugs check inside distributor cap for dampness, and any hairline cracks, check rotor arm for damage, vv carbs are prone to flooding up plugs when not getting run much, all these symptoms would make it run very lumpy (engine shuddering) but not rattly
If it's noisey rattly it could be timing belt starting to go and maybe has moved a couple of ribs/teeth which cause a rattle like a badly worn camshaft

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Mk3 pinto 2.0 rough running and no power

Postby colly 695 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:03 pm

andz327 wrote:When you're doing the plugs check inside distributor cap for dampness, and any hairline cracks, check rotor arm for damage, vv carbs are prone to flooding up plugs when not getting run much, all these symptoms would make it run very lumpy (engine shuddering) but not rattly
If it's noisey rattly it could be timing belt starting to go and maybe has moved a couple of ribs/teeth which cause a rattle like a badly worn camshaft

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I changed the rotar arm and cap a few months ago - yeah the engine noise is a bit hard to desribe, there is a point at low revs where it sounds normal, but under acceleration it make this racket sounding like tappets or something -also when it first starts ,there is a squeal from a belt under first acceleration but i was guessing that was the fan belt?
A life without a transit aint worth living

96 mk5 lwb/semi hi roof
90 mk3 pinto tipper
colly 695
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions