*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

LOCATION of camshaft position sensor

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: LOCATION of camshaft position sensor

Postby andz327 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:21 pm

Oops I'm a bit behind with these posts...... No getting in the middle of this one, I've still got number plate screws to deal with

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:36 pm

Soft blocks, and square idling I've never heard of, have you got the flywheel sensor far enough in? Do you have a genuine ford fuel filter on it?
Actually stressed as you may be Bambi's your man to get you going, you need to accept a bit of banter and not take things to heart after all we all must be a bit touched to be transit owners

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Paddy2Lynch » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:48 pm

Square idling is what is also called diesel-knock, but very subdued in this case.
Soft blocks is what the MOT people call the rubbers on the suspension in these parts (didn't know that either until I was told I'd had to replace them...)
And yes to all your other questions, all sensors are seated properly, are genuine Ford parts, and so is the fuel filter I replaced when this debacle started (suspecting dirt /water in the diesel)
With the fault codes the ECU has generated, and after looking at all the obvious things first (and having no joy :( ) the next logical step is the pump solenoid and if this really goes 'tits up' the pump itself.

The thing I need to know now is the procedure getting AT the blasted thing, as this is a RWD van, with the motor seated in line with the prop-shaft. This makes it less accessible than a FWD type where the engine sits at 90 degrees to the length axis of the vehicle.
If 'bambi' knows how to do this and wants to tell me, that is fine, and I'll be happy of he does. If he doesn't... there is very little I can do about that ...

Cheers
Paddy,

Transit,TDDi 2003,well loved, currently very ill, working for its recovery
Paddy2Lynch
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby The tricky one » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:02 am

Hi paddy,

I am having a problem with my fuel pump and from what I have found you can take the pump off if you use the pump removal kit(ebay) to remove the front bolts and torqs then I think you have to remove the inlet manifold to get to the rear bracket of the pump. I must point out that I am a newbie and with that in mind, be prepared for this info to be shot down by more experienced people than myself. As for it being only a few hours job, with my skill and knowledge level thats optimistic for me.

Best of luck to you with it
The tricky one
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Crankshaft » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:43 am

Had the pump out twice now on my 2.4 rwd.
Disconnect the battery first.
Remove the plastic engine cover (the bit with duratorq on it), remove the egr valve, remove the inlet manifold (10mm 1/4 drive socket), then remove the multi rib belt.
From under the van, remove the starter motor, remove the pump to block bracket at the rear of the pump, remove the injection pipes.
Obtain a timing kit and remove the circular timing case cover in front of the pump sprocket, remove the crank position sensor, turn the engine over by hand (clockwise looking at the crank pulley) and insert the pin into the crank sensor bracket until the pin drops into the flywheel whilst the single hole in the pump sprocket is at approximately the 2 o'clock position.
Fit the plastic ring in the kit into the timing case and rotate the ring until the torx bit in the kit can be located in all 3 pump mounting holes.
Unplug the pump connector.
Unscrew the 4 pump sprocket bolts with a 10mm socket, unscrew the 3 pump retaining bolts (the bolts are captive behind the sprocket, they won't come all the way out, don't worry about losing them).
Remove the pump by wiggling it out of the timing case rearwards then lift it out by the sprocket flange.

Hopefully fitting my recon pump tomorrow, weather permitting.
Crankshaft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Paddy2Lynch » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks man.... this is info I can use !
It isn't clear to me how the inlet manifold can be removed (yet) but I assume that will become clear once the front of the van is removed.

Can you link me to that Ebay kit you speak off , so I can have a look at that ?
Paddy,

Paddy2Lynch
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby The tricky one » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:53 pm

This is the one that I bought

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Duratorq ... Swv0tVcalp

Worked well for me when I wanted to check my pump timing was correct.

Hope it works out well for you.
The tricky one
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Paddy2Lynch » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks !
Paddy,

Paddy2Lynch
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:05 pm

On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:18 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Ok here you go then :) http://messybeast.com/dragonqueen/real-haynes.htm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Spot on. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions