*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

EGR Vacuum Regulator/Turbo boost valve/EVR. 2003 Transit

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

EGR Vacuum Regulator/Turbo boost valve/EVR. 2003 Transit

Postby dka » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:59 am

Ok , so this is going to need some guru to be able to give me answers. The question is about the operation of the EGR vacuum regulator (the one fixed to the radiator shroud). Does anybody know the correct operation of this device ? is it supposed to create vacuum to the EGR from idle or just after about 2000rpm?
Mine will start to create a vacuum as soon as the engine runs (once at operating temp) and after maybe one cycle drops back to zero vacuum and does not come back until after the vehicle has been turned off and back on again. The wiring from the map sensor(at outlet of intercooler ) has been checked for continuity back to the ecu connection and the required voltages seem to be in range, the 2 pin cable attached to the EGR Vacuum control would appear to be within spec also with a good supply voltage , the earth connection(that's what i believe it to be ) has continuity from the plug to the ecu connector block, so I'm guessing this is not the fault.I assume the signal for the EGR Vacuum control is set by the ecu which when required activates a switched earth from the ecu to the vacuum control which allows it to create the vacuum needed for the EGR to operate, if I'm correct it would point to the ecu having a faulty switching to earth circuit
The initial problem noted with the vehicle was lack of power and upon scanning the only codes to show were boost calibration and EGR out of range the latter being caused in my opinion by the fact that the EGR is not getting any vacuum to operate the solenoid therefore not talking back to the ecu . The EGR operates as it should and holds a vacuum when a vacuum gauge is connected as does the rest of the vacumm pipes from the vacuum pump
I'm sure there's heaps of knowledgeable Transit fanatics or mechanics here in the forum that may hold the key to this problem, the other issue I have is if its an ECU problem where do i send it to have it repaired? there's probably 100's of places in Europe but I'm in Australia

Primary Features
Build Date: 16.05.2003
Vehicle Line: Transit 2000-2006
Cab Style: Regular Cargo Van
Series: 1.7-350L Series
Engine: Duratorq DI 2.4 (90PS)
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual Transmission - MT75
Drive: RHD RWD
Axle Ratio: 4.63
Emission: Light Duty Truck Stage III
Air Conditioning: Manual Air Conditioning
Territory: (+)"AUS"