*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

popular Van

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

popular Van

Postby dka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:05 am

Considering this has to be one of, if not the most popular van worldwide ,its appearing to be almost impossible to get a wiring diagram for my ford Transit 2003 90ps diesel, let alone any answers on my problem. The local Ford dealer here in Aus may as well be a circus as they dont know sh*t from strawberry jam
Can anybody help me out here ?
I have an EGR control solenoid that appears not to be getting a switched earth from the ECU, which I have given more detail in my last post
I would like to know if that circuit is shared with any other and if the ECU/PCM could have an earth fault
Thanks
Last edited by dka on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
dka
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: popular Van

Postby dumper » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:58 am

Most people overhear block the egr off on a mk 6 it should not put the eml light on .as for wireing diagrams look on Ford ettis site.also try and keep your questions in one post as it is easier for members to help you
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks Dumper, lot of people block the EGR here also but in my case the egr is not getting any vacuum to it from the EGR vacuum control so whether it is blanked off or not would make no difference. I guess its either the ECU not switching to earth and allowing the vacuum to be diverted to the EGR or the actual electrical circuit on the EGR malfunctioning, but I cant see how the EGR itself can control the EGR control solenoid as its before the actual EGR
dka
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jim Archer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:58 pm

ECU switches the vacuum solenoid which in turn operates the EGR pot. The ECU then looks for the EGR having moved to the correct position.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Frag » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Be carefull how you diagnose this,because it works as mentioned above,
You said in a previous post it works for maybe one cycle,
If your metering it or vacuum checking and don't have the egr valve itself plumbed in,
The ecu will see incorrect feedback from egr valve position sensor and simply shut it down.
(So it won't work again till key off / back on)

In my experience of egr valves on that model,if it's faulty it will drive fine then you will get the coil light flashing along with loss of power,which will reset on key off / on.
Along with a relevant egr dtc.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby dka » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:00 am

Frag, I'm thinking that the initial cycle i'm seeing is the ecu doing a system check,
The vehicle will start first key no worries and drive reasonably ok although way down on power, map pressure is reading max 160kpa, so if the EGR is stuck partly open would that likely be where the boost pressure is escaping? all plumbing and intercooler seem to be leak free. Vacuum from pump to EGR solonoid goes to about 700mm and holds stable so system appears to be leak free
Can the valve position sensor be checked?
dka
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dka » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:00 am

Frag, I'm thinking that the initial cycle i'm seeing is the ecu doing a system check,
The vehicle will start first key no worries and drive reasonably ok although way down on power, map pressure is reading max 160kpa, so if the EGR is stuck partly open would that likely be where the boost pressure is escaping? all plumbing and intercooler seem to be leak free. Vacuum from pump to EGR solonoid goes to about 700mm and holds stable so system appears to be leak free
Can the valve position sensor be
Only DTC is P0404 EGR CIRCUIT RANGE OR PERFORMANCE and once cleared I get P1300 BOOST CALIBRATION FAULT

Jim Archer wrote:ECU switches the vacuum solenoid which in turn operates the EGR pot. The ECU then looks for the EGR having moved to the correct position.

Jim
:)
dka
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dka » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:23 am

OK , here's an update to the issue, The EGR has been removed and thoroughly cleaned and upon initial start and clearing of DTC's there was voltage and duty cycle to been seen on the scanner, however after a couple of minutes it all went south again and returned the DTC's of P0404 & P0409 although the latter never came back after clearing DTC's
Does this mean the EGR has an electrical issue and is cactus?
Does anyone know what sort of resistance the 3 pins on the EGR should have?
dka
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:49 pm

dka wrote:OK , here's an update to the issue, The EGR has been removed and thoroughly cleaned and upon initial start and clearing of DTC's there was voltage and duty cycle to been seen on the scanner, however after a couple of minutes it all went south again and returned the DTC's of P0404 & P0409 although the latter never came back after clearing DTC's

Just replace it and be done with it....stepper motor is probably shot...

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby v8dave » Fri May 05, 2017 5:12 pm

Can't work out if I can put attachments on a pm so posted to the thread.

2003_egr_1.jpg

2003_egr_2.jpg

2003_egr_3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dka » Sat May 06, 2017 8:07 am

knobby1 wrote:
dka wrote:OK , here's an update to the issue, The EGR has been removed and thoroughly cleaned and upon initial start and clearing of DTC's there was voltage and duty cycle to been seen on the scanner, however after a couple of minutes it all went south again and returned the DTC's of P0404 & P0409 although the latter never came back after clearing DTC's

Just replace it and be done with it....stepper motor is probably shot...

Lord Knobrot

Done that mate and no difference, i have continuity on all three cables from EGR Valve to pcm connection and continuity from the two wires on the vacuum solenoid back to the pcm connection
dka
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

EGR Technical Question

Postby dka » Tue May 09, 2017 10:46 am

Can anybody give me a definitive answer on the EGR ?
If the EGR circuit is not being activated via the pcm or any other means will this affect the fuel supply in any way ? The vacuum solenoid appears to not be getting a pulsed earth and therefore the circuit is dead and the pintle in the EGR is not moving which means that there is no signal either from or to the PCM.
If the EGR circuit is not required and therefore has no ill affect on the engine why would people buy blanking plates for their EGR's instead of just pulling the connection from them?it cant just be to stop a error light.I have an issue with power loss and my EGR circuit is not working as indicated on live data, there is no duty cycle from the solenoid or EGR Valve, there is battery voltage to the vacuum solenoid and continuity back to PCM on both wires, all three wires leading back to PCM from EGR valve have continuity also
The power loss feels as if the turbo is not boosting but live data is showing 170 kpa during acceleration, theres no leaks in the vacuum and the turbo plumbing and intercooler have no leaks, the van will travel at 120kph on the highway but has slow acceleration getting there, there is no smoke visable in the mirrors while accelerating hard
Trying to find a local that has any knowledge of these vans is like looking for a snowman in the Sahara
Hopefully someone here will be able to answer this post :-)
dka
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dka » Sun May 14, 2017 12:16 am

Hey Guys, still having issues with this piece of sh*t van and to date have got no further with resolving the issues
I have attached some images of live data taken from the van , maybe somebody can see an issue with the data that would pinpoint the power loss
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dka
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dka » Tue May 16, 2017 10:51 am

Obviously this issue is a difficult one for anyone as no replies.
Today while running live data from the engine which had stood for 8 hours the CHT read
42c
2.10v
then at 46c
I got 1.95v
Then at 76c
I got 0.08v
Then at 77c
I got 4.0v
after that temps was pretty steady at around 90c
And the volts stayed around 3.7v
Can anybody tell me if this is correct or has the CHT failed ?
dka
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions