*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK7 Transit stalls every few seconds

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

MK7 Transit stalls every few seconds

Postby myrebuilder » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:50 am

This is a strange problem on my 2007 Transit MK7.
The clutch master cylinder plastic coupler broke off all the sudden a few days ago and I ve had to drive the van home on second gear. I bought another master cylinder from Euro car parts (LUV) and replaced it the next day. Clutch works fine now but another strange problem appeared immediately after changing the master cylinder... The van starts and idles fine. Ones I start driving for a few seconds it loses power and it is like getting no fuel until I release completely the throttle for an instant. Then it goes for another few seconds and again the same stalling...release the pedal momentarily and then goes again for another few seconds. So I am driving now releasing the accelerator pedal every few seconds to keep on going. I passed by Ford and the lady at the service desk (who knows nothing about mechanics) said that she could book it in (in 3 WEEKS since they were very busy), then run diagnostics which will cost anywhere between 65 and 130 quid and then they would call me and tell me what the additional repair cost would be!!!! I run out of there obviously. I thought that it possibly got de-tuned since I had to rev it while driving on second gear when the clutch broke. I thought that it possibly needs resetting. I also thought that the accelerator pedal sensor could be playing-up but then again I never touched this side of the pedals when I was replacing the clutch master cylinder. I only backed-off the nut a bit to pull the clutch bedal a little to the left in order to hook-up the master cylinder to it and then re-tightened it.
I thought to ask if anyone had experienced this kind of problem or ant transit wiz here and knows the remedy before I buy a code reader/reset program or a new accelerator pedal/sensor.
Your replies will be appreciated.
myrebuilder
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: MK7 Transit stalls every few seconds

Postby andz327 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:12 am

Check around pedal area for any position sensors/switches knocked off, or wires off, or switch missing pedals

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:01 am

andz327 wrote:Check around pedal area for any position sensors/switches knocked off, or wires off, or switch missing contact with pedal

andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby myrebuilder » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:02 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I ll check today. The only box that I could see before was the one on the accelerator pedal and the wires/plug looked fine. I ll check again thoroughly today.
myrebuilder
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:38 am

myrebuilder wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I ll check today. The only box that I could see before was the one on the accelerator pedal and the wires/plug looked fine. I ll check again thoroughly today.

There'll also be switches on the clutch and brake pedals, high up, near pivot point under the dash.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby myrebuilder » Tue May 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Yes in deed there are 2 switches over the brake pedal. I realized that the brake pedal has a little play when is fully released. I drove the van and when I had my left foot under the brake pedal pushing it up (to take off the play) the engine was running fine without cutting out. When I was releasing it it was back to the same few seconds running and then stalling...
I understood that the pedal was lacking a few mm from activating a switch. Now the bad engineering part is that these switches are mounted on a plate of thin metal which is pivoted at the back. I just pushed the plate a little bit down with my hand and the problem has been fixed since. The van has been running fine now. So I really wander who designed the clutch master cylinder with the PLASTIC coupler which bound to brake at some point (why not a metal one???) and then the flimsy metal plate for the switches???
Unfortunately this morning while driving to work the little engine sign light came on. I opened the hood and checked...the breather hose had come off the valve cover so I pushed it back on but the engine sign keeps on showing. The engine runs fine and there are no obvious issues but this engine sign is still on. I wander if that is because of the breather hose being off for a bit and how to reset this engine light? Maybe take the battery poles off for a while?
I bought this MK7 a couple of months ago and I ve had a few headaches with it. My old 1998 banana engine one was running like a charm for years.......
myrebuilder
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby myrebuilder » Tue May 02, 2017 6:13 pm

And by the way THANK YOU ALL for your very helpful advises.
myrebuilder
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ake » Wed May 03, 2017 7:08 am

The light willl take a few start stop cycles to go out if you've fixed the fault
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby myrebuilder » Thu May 11, 2017 2:21 am

Yes, that is exactly what happened. It did go off after 3 start-ups.
Then 3 days ago it came on again. I checked and everything seems ok. The problem is that when I accelerate mildly it has a very small hesitation for a second or so and then it smokes black. If I release the acc pedal and press it again hard, it burns clean. If I accelerate hard from the start, it does not hesitate neither smokes black. This van has been a nightmare...the exhaust pipe has broken off the end of the cat and I can hear the turbo whistle when releasing the acc pedal...I thought to have it welded back on the cat but no one would do it. They told me to buy a new one....the cheapest one on ebay is £171. You ll possibly tell me that I got conned buying this van and better get rid of it but then again I paid 3.5 grand for it and everything else is fine.
myrebuilder
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Technical Problems & Questions