*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2011 starting probs.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

2011 starting probs.

Postby joe bingham » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:56 pm

I have a 2011 2.0ltr . I'm having problems with starting. Ive followed the usual routes. charged battery , Ive replaced the starter. Still have the symptoms ; quite loud 'click, click, . Like several other people I assumed it was low battery / solenoid problems. Ive checked the battery , currently at 12.7 volts .and seems to be holding. Replaced the starter . Is there another solenoid in the system ? It seems to be a bit intermittent. Will start fine sometimes. other times I've had to resort to a cup pack. Sometimes with the jump ( again fully charged )pack it doesn't go , I then check connection of the neg terminal on the engine mount. - I'm not convinced this is it.
joe bingham

Re: 2011 starting probs.

Postby ake » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Check battery earth lead connections.
By check I mean remove, clean and reassemble.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:54 pm

2011 will be a 2.2 if its a fwd.If leads don't do the trick change the electrical bit of the ign switch £15 approx.
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:14 am

bambi mk 1 wrote:2011 will be a 2.2 if its a fwd.If leads don't do the trick change the electrical bit of the ign switch £15 approx.

+1..^^

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby joe bingham » Wed May 10, 2017 1:16 pm

joe bingham wrote:I have a 2011 2.0ltr . I'm having problems with starting. Ive followed the usual routes. charged battery , Ive replaced the starter. Still have the symptoms ; quite loud 'click, click, . Like several other people I assumed it was low battery / solenoid problems. Ive checked the battery , currently at 12.7 volts .and seems to be holding. Replaced the starter . Is there another solenoid in the system ? It seems to be a bit intermittent. Will start fine sometimes. other times I've had to resort to a cup pack. Sometimes with the jump ( again fully charged )pack it doesn't go , I then check connection of the neg terminal on the engine mount. - I'm not convinced this is it.

Thanks for the advice so far.Ive cleaned negative terminal. Its nice and tight . I'm a little concerned - I'd happily rush out and get the module behind ignition , But my starting issue is intermittent- always the hardest ! . What I'm finding is the following. on an occasion , no start just clicking. start with a jump pack and drive ( ten minute drive ) and stop to drop off kids etc. and then sometimes will , sometimes won't start again. some mornings it starts fine , and subsequently starts fine all day, following day , no start again. sometimes won't start after even quite a long drive. It does not seem to be related to the battery charge , the battery seems stable at 12.7 v.
My reluctance to just change module is based on finances and time, already changed starter which i didn't need to do. I'm confused, does the jump pack add an extra amperage boost ? or since the current is routed through the fuse box is that making a difference ? ( via the big red block next to fuse box )
( I have to give the jump pack back to its owner too as I've had it longer than a good neighbour should ! )

P.S. info on engine size comes from registration docs which say its 2.0 ltr.
joe bingham

Postby Altransit » Wed May 10, 2017 1:38 pm

You could try removing the heater plug relay, and see if they're causing a current drain. The van will start without them connected :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby joe bingham » Wed May 10, 2017 7:57 pm

joe bingham wrote:
joe bingham wrote:I have a 2011 2.0ltr . I'm having problems with starting. Ive followed the usual routes. charged battery , Ive replaced the starter. Still have the symptoms ; quite loud 'click, click, . Like several other people I assumed it was low battery / solenoid problems. Ive checked the battery , currently at 12.7 volts .and seems to be holding. Replaced the starter . Is there another solenoid in the system ? It seems to be a bit intermittent. Will start fine sometimes. other times I've had to resort to a cup pack. Sometimes with the jump ( again fully charged )pack it doesn't go , I then check connection of the neg terminal on the engine mount. - I'm not convinced this is it.

Thanks for the advice so far.Ive cleaned negative terminal. Its nice and tight . I'm a little concerned - I'd happily rush out and get the module behind ignition , But my starting issue is intermittent- always the hardest ! . What I'm finding is the following. on an occasion , no start just clicking. start with a jump pack and drive ( ten minute drive ) and stop to drop off kids etc. and then sometimes will , sometimes won't start again. some mornings it starts fine , and subsequently starts fine all day, following day , no start again. sometimes won't start after even quite a long drive. It does not seem to be related to the battery charge , the battery seems stable at 12.7 v.
My reluctance to just change module is based on finances and time, already changed starter which i didn't need to do. I'm confused, does the jump pack add an extra amperage boost ? or since the current is routed through the fuse box is that making a difference ? ( via the big red block next to fuse box )
( I have to give the jump pack back to its owner too as I've had it longer than a good neighbour should ! )

P.S. info on engine size comes from registration docs which say its 2.0 ltr.

Tried removing glow plug relay , No difference.
joe bingham

Postby knobby1 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:59 pm

joe bingham wrote:P.S. info on engine size comes from registration docs which say its 2.0 ltr.

Your rego docs are wrong....2.0L FWD will be Mk6....all August 2006 and later Mk7 FWD's are 2.2L....RWD's Euro4 are all 2.4L and later RWD's Euro5 are 2.2L. :wink:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby frankieboy231 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:19 pm

HI, humour me on this one as I'm no expert but just had this on my Autosleeper (came back on the back of a truck), so before spending try this:

You under bonnet, wife turning key and holding full on with ignition light full on, you (watch your hands for moving parts) give strong tug on live cable at battery - if starts - break internally in live cable. - New cable. Try black one as well also try at starter end.

Good luck - mind your fingers.
frankieboy231
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:21 pm

I'd spend £15 on a ignition switch, actually cheaper on eBay if you're skint mate they cause a multitude of problems when faulty and can be intermittent, sometimes jiggling key about (but not always)when trying to turn engine over works then you know

andZ3 Sony Z3
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions